#givethanks

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

#givethanks

Post by Hagoth » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:16 am

I thought it was a pretty good message. I like that he invited everyone to pray along with him. Also that they at least showed people wearing masks, even if he couldn't go quite so far as to actually say it.

The stream of comments was mostly "We thank thee oh God for a Prophet!!!!" But my favorite was "LEGALIZE COFFEE"
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Re: #givethanks

Post by wtfluff » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:37 am

I am thankful that I don't care much about what CEO Nelson said in his speech.

#GiveThanks

(I'll watch it at some point when I get bored enough for curiosity's sake. Doesn't sound like there was much prophet-ing, or seer-ing, or revelate-ing going on.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:30 pm

Wait, so during the talk people could tweet messages and they showed up on the screen?
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:38 pm

2bizE wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:30 pm
Wait, so during the talk people could tweet messages and they showed up on the screen?
Yup. It was a parade of virtue signaling. The best part was people telling other people to stop typing and actually listen to what he was saying, which is doubly humorous because they had to stop listening to him in order to lecture everyone else. It's the adult equivalent of the kid who feels justified keeping their eyes open during the prayer so they can tattle-tale on the other kids who didn't close their eyes.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:42 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:37 am
Doesn't sound like there was much prophet-ing, or seer-ing, or revelate-ing going on.
As a non-believer you would get the loud and clear message, "hey, I'm obviously not a prophet, but don't make the mistake of thinking I'm also not a concerned and sensitive guy." He focused a large part of the message on the death of his first wife, and how it turned out ok because he found Wendy, the underlying message being that even if COVID killed some of your family God will make you happy in the end if you show adequate gratitude to Him.

mufflerman

Post by mufflerman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:14 pm

So, after having the link to this sent to me by family just minutes before it started, I did have it playing as I worked (I am one of those actually able to work from home). I agree it was a very positive message. But, all I saw was a nice old grandpa reminiscing on his life, nothing extraordinarily 'profit' about it. But, just when you think g'pa is all done grandpa'ing, his PR guys tell him to throw out a new hashtag (still a pound symbol for us mature people).
So, my question is this... what would Jo Smith's, and the past prophets hashtags have been?
I'm thinking Benson--#commiedie or something like that :D

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:49 pm

mufflerman wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:14 pm
So, my question is this... what would Jo Smith's, and the past prophets hashtags have been?
I'm thinking Benson--#commiedie or something like that :D
#MakeNauvooGreatAgain!
#AngelMadeMeDoIt
#GotSisterWives?
#PstandsforPriesthood
#GotRocksandHats?
#GrabembythePriesthood!
#BecauseISaidSo
#FollowtheProphet
#FollowtheProphettoDeath
#EverlastingPolygamy
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:55 pm

"Worldwide Faith Leader"

- Encourages the world to "celebrate" Thanksgiving, USA!!!

#GiveThanks - to the YouTube gods for "Playback speed 2x" and 50% less time listening to the condescending tone.

And pardon my bad attitude, but in the end, as usual, I was left with: "Really? That's it???" There was nothing of substance that one couldn't have heard in a COJCOL-dS meeting anywhere in the USA from the "Youth Speaker" this time of year. :?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:57 pm

[NSFW: language]

Oh, I'm gonna rant - because the rant is due.....

What in the ever living F*CK was that sh*tshow today???...Post statements of gratitude on social media for the next seven days and maybe let's pray a little more?

Jeezus H. Effing Christ. We are in the middle of pandemic that is spiraling out of control. You are THE one guy that literally millions of people consider the one true and living HMFIC here on this little blue marble that floats in space. As a (former) medical professional you should sure as sh*t know that being proactive and taking preventative measures is kind of important and helps increase the odds of successfully mitigating this contagion and its effects.

Theoretically, a couple of sentences is all it would take to have your followers become part of the solution rather than part of the problem....

"Brothers and Sisters, I stand before you today and I speak now as the Lord's prophet here on this earth. We have fasted and we have prayed, and now the Lord is commanding us to ALL do our part and wear masks properly when in public, to limit our gatherings, and to social distance. Let us diligently follow this command from the Lord, be the example to those around us, and be the light, the beacon upon the hill. The world is watching us - the Lord is watching us!"

But, you know why this won't ever happen? Because it would highlight all too quickly and glaringly just how little the members actually believe and follow what the church teaches and the prophet says. Because belonging (to the club) is more important than actually believing what you profess.

I can just hear it now...."I don't need my church leaders to tell me to wear a mask." ...."This is America, and I'm free to do what I want. Wearing a mask has nothing to do with my religion."...."That's none of his business."...."He's really just speaking as a man."...."I've had my own personal revelation and I don't have to wear one."...."I have my agency and I'm exercising it."....etc., etc., etc.

Mormonism is like up-Chuck-A-Rama. It's the ultimate buffet of mediocre fare. If they're honest, very few people really want to eat there. But they go along without objection because the group wants to. Additionally, it's expensive for what you get. People quietly pick and choose what they will and won't eat, and they keep their true thoughts to themselves.

Today's numbers in Utah: 4,588 new cases and 17 deaths.

So, let's all raise a glass of milk and toast the dear prophet. "Hey, Rusty. F*ck you, and the tapir you rode in on. You're nothing but a fraud and a plague rat." I'll drink to that (Hermey raises his glass).

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:01 pm

We thank thee oh God for a PR department!

I love "LEGALIZE COFFEE" guy.

But damn, Facebook is gonna be annoying AF with all the TBMs trying out #givethanks each other! :roll:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:04 pm

Love the rant Hermey
Hermey wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:57 pm
Mormonism is like up-Chuck-A-Rama. It's the ultimate buffet of mediocre fare. If they're honest, very few people really want to eat there. But they go along without objection because the group wants to. Additionally, it's expensive for what you get. People quietly pick and choose what they will and won't eat, and they keep their true thoughts to themselves.
And this is the most accurate description of Mormonism I've ever read ever.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:51 pm

I was a little excited to see some people who rarely post on FB post there today, and then I was just sad. So much performative behavior. This is the kind of nonsense that would have irritated me even when I was a Mormon.

mufflerman

Post by mufflerman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:56 pm

FEE6B0DC-96F5-48B6-ABC2-70A2F0A14550.jpeg
FEE6B0DC-96F5-48B6-ABC2-70A2F0A14550.jpeg (119.67 KiB) Viewed 5808 times

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:59 pm

I expected going into this thing to be underwhelmed, but I was shocked at how ridiculously underwhelmed I was.

I'm on team Hermey.... what a sh!+show.
Hermey wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:57 pm
Jeezus H. Effing Christ. We are in the middle of pandemic that is spiraling out of control. You are THE one guy that literally millions of people consider the one true and living HMFIC here on this little blue marble that floats in space. As a (former) medical professional you should sure as sh*t know that being proactive and taking preventative measures is kind of important and helps increase the odds of successfully mitigating this contagion and its effects.
I didn't realize it was going to be pre-recorded. Every word was measured and every image was slickly produced, with the tender Heartsell music to set the correct emotion. Like Hermey said, how hard would it be to encourage some basic protective measures. I posted on reddit earlier about one thing I noticed.. they had a picture of someone putting on a mask and some oblique reference to it. I HATE how the church communicates like this: they sort of insinuate and craft the message so that you can read into it whatever you want but they don't have to be accountable for taking a stand either way. In the vein of that "I know his voice, I know his face" crap where it can mean whatever you want to believe. I thought the prophet was supposed to lead us using God's word! Maybe he can't produce a revelation, but he can't take a stand on an issue that shouldn't be controversial? I thought that's what prophets were supposed to do. I didn't think prophets were supposed to be popular.

And the disgusting leader worshipping sycophantic comments. I don't see a vomiting emoji...

After being underwhelmed by these guys for decades and witnessing the increasingly watered down nature of their "revelations" and prophetic abilities, whenever they have one of these "events", there is still a part of me deep in my brain that thinks "maybe..... maybe this time they'll say something worthwhile". Well, not today.....

Five

Post by Five » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:36 pm

Culper Jr. wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:59 pm
I HATE how the church communicates like this: they sort of insinuate and craft the message so that you can read into it whatever you want but they don't have to be accountable for taking a stand either way.
I always thought that was an amazing effect of the Spirit. I remember listening to a Sheri Dew talk once where she spoke of a phenomenon where folks would come up to her after a talk she'd given. They'd thank her for saying this or that and she'd be momentarily confused, because this or that was not IN her talk. But these folks always thanked her for saying exactly what they needed to hear and she gave credit for that to the Holy Ghost delivering pertinent messages and thoughts to those individuals. But you actually hit on what it is: it IS so vague and broad, it is almost like they aren't actually saying anything most of the time.

I'm in the exact same boat. A part of my heart still shines for the truth they offered. After my shelf broke and all I've studied and learned since then, I'm still hoping to hear something to turn my head. I don't know if it's just the crappy timing and Covid has God waiting on the loading screen for his messages to send, or if it is my exit from belief in anything spiritual or divine, looking from the outside in, but I find this year in particular, the messages from the church are phony, ingenuine, and lost. And it's like a neon sign lighting them up.

I can't even look at the message Nelson gave and see what my former self would have found valuable in it. Likely, in the midst of this year's turmoil and the hype for this message, his trite stale bread revelation might have actually broken my shelf if it wasn't already.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:18 pm

The rumors I saw were that this message would be something big. I could have picked up Chicken Soup for the Soul and gotten more inspiration. He didn't say anything bad. I can't imagine anyone hearing this and saying it changed their life.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:09 pm

Seven Days of #HashTags is the goal eh? I'll just get my seven out of the way right now.

#GiveThanks for:

#Coffee
#Beer
#Scotch
#Rum
#Tequila
#Gin
#Bourbon
#Vodka

Not really, but that's what believers think about those who have "left the fold," so hey, cheers to their useless stereotypes. And I can't count either, because it looks like there are 8 liquids listed above.

While we're at it:

#SecondSaturday
#TenPercentRaise
#NoPolygamyPantaloons
#NotListentingToOldOutOfTouchCluelessGeezers

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:31 pm

My thought is: what breaking controversy or scandal is this covering up for?

If not, its just attention seeking and self validation.

But I told my mother I thought it was a nice message and we had a good moment on the phone. Sigh.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:05 am

Giving thanks with six days to Thanksgiving seems a smart message and understanding that we still have things to be thankful for is a message of hope. It is not a great spiritual awakening hope, but it is hope none the less.

Will the coffee bean and tea leaves ever be able to cast off the yoke of unrighteous judgment? I doubt it because there is no outside pressure or threats to the Church's tax status to alter this unrighteous judgment.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:04 am

My thought at the end of it was that they used a "worldwide message" as a vehicle to launch a marketing campaign.

My background is in marketing, and this is literally how you would launch a brand awareness campaign - you would have a lunch event (Nelson's talk) and then use the hashtag and website to drive the awareness.

The cynical part of me thinks they used the worries about the pandemic as a way to get people to tune in expecting something, anything from the self-proclaimed prophet of God, but that they got fed a corporate marketing launch event and are now expected to market the hashtags for the corporation/church.

And in some ways it's worked - my sister in law was posting #GiveThanks almost immediately after the talk, and I 'snoozed' her again on FB because of it. :lol:

But bottom line is that this was a heavily produced marketing campaign that used people's worries about the pandemic to lure them in. It was a nice talk by Nelson, but it just feels so dirty that they used worries about the pandemic to get people to tune in.