#givethanks

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
jfro18

Re: #givethanks

Post by jfro18 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:13 pm

I only have a few family members who are LDS on Facebook, but they are posting daily #givethanks posts when they tend to very rarely post otherwise. My wife doesn't so social media and I don't check her Twitter account, but I have to assume she is posting as well... it's just so weird.

It's not a horrible thing, but as someone on the other side of it, it is really depressing to see how quickly people follow anything they're asked to do by the church.

It's a marketing campaign that Nelson claimed as direct revelation from God. It's insane to me. I did a quick write up about it last night @ https://www.ldsdiscussions.com/gratitude if anyone is bored enough to read about revelation and the #givethanks stuff. I did *not* touch on the leader worship although I was originally planning to, but I know how quickly that turns off anyone who is a believing member so it's not worth rehashing.

fetchface

Post by fetchface » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:24 am

Something about this really struck a nerve with the TBM wife. She hates this campaign and the fact that RMN didn't use his time to unambiguously straighten out the anti-maskers.

Personally, I feel like I am the victim of a denial-of-service attack when it comes to Facebook right now. I'm just staying away because it is almost all #givethanks spam. I'll probably end up missing some really interesting posts from my non-LDS friends.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:39 am

fetchface wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:24 am
Something about this really struck a nerve with the TBM wife. She hates this campaign and the fact that RMN didn't use his time to unambiguously straighten out the anti-maskers.

Personally, I feel like I am the victim of a denial-of-service attack when it comes to Facebook right now. I'm just staying away because it is almost all #givethanks spam. I'll probably end up missing some really interesting posts from my non-LDS friends.
I just hit the "snooze" button on everyone who is posting #givethanks constantly... it's a lot easier that way. :)

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:02 pm

I only wish my wife had #GiveThanks

She #GaveMoney instead after her tithing settlement meeting with her Bishop.

#RRannoyed

#NotOnFacebook so I miss all of this stuff! :lol:
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Five

Post by Five » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:19 pm

I agree with what others have said about the lack of practicality or authenticity in this campaign. One of the biggest cautions we hear about social media is the war of perception vs. reality that goes on, and the insecurity this can breed. I don't like rants about how evil and toxic social media is because I believe it's just a moderation thing, the same with any other form of entertainment. Being grateful, by itself, is a really healthy mental exercise. When I was a TBM, I kept a private gratitude journal and that is fine to do. But posting it publicly online adds this layer of performance to it, presenting a face to others that may or my not be false, just to fit in or comply.

And it's not a good look. Other people who are not Mormon are not looking at these messages of gratitude flooding their feed and thinking about what happy people Mormons are. They're thinking how self-absorbed and shallow they are, as Mormons passive aggressively brag about their material belongings, being God's select people, their families, their perfect little lives. The PR campaign is trying to push non-members away.

It asks so little. Damning by low expectations. I know it's the pandemic and all but I'm sure the God of everything could be creative and figure out hoa people could proactively spread gratitude to others. You know, instead of telling everyone around you a list of stuff that is awesome about your life, give others reasons to be grateful for theirs.

It's patronizing to be chided and pressured in this way. When I first heard this message, my immediate thought was that someone was shaking a finger at me, like I haven't been grateful enough and should put some time in. It is okay to express concern and fear and anxiety and sorrow over troubles in your life and the world. It is healthy to have real emotions about things, even if some of it is negative. #givethanks is like telling someone who is upset, "You need to calm down." It's not very helpful, it's alienating, it's shaming. Coming from the man who says he represents God's voice...it comes across as slightly threatening.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:43 pm

Was there a request by President Nelson or other Church leaders to do a mass gratitude campaign? If so, did they have specific suggestions on how to not make it sound cult-like?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:42 pm

Thanks everyone for reminding me why I stay away from Facebook and Twitter.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Angel

Post by Angel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:41 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:27 pm
Fellow passengers.I listened to the message from Nelson. I thought it was rather good. It seemed to be a message of Hope and gratitude. It seemed to be free of most of the Mormonisms that annoy so many of us. It was a fairly mainstream Christian message, which seems to be a place where Mormonism is trying to get.
I hoped to find a version that shows all of the tweets displaying. If someone has a link to that please let me know.
I did not listen, so there was nothing about polygammy - nothing about how easily he replaced his old wife with wife #2, and how wife #2 was a gift from God?

Good to see it was mainstream.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Angel

Post by Angel » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:43 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:43 pm
Was there a request by President Nelson or other Church leaders to do a mass gratitude campaign? If so, did they have specific suggestions on how to not make it sound cult-like?
Sadly, now there will be no genuine gratitude posts, only forced obedient ramiumptum posts...

... to be seen of men... I'm sure everyone feels rewarded.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:44 pm

Angel wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:41 pm
2bizE wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:27 pm
Fellow passengers.I listened to the message from Nelson. I thought it was rather good. It seemed to be a message of Hope and gratitude. It seemed to be free of most of the Mormonisms that annoy so many of us. It was a fairly mainstream Christian message, which seems to be a place where Mormonism is trying to get.
I hoped to find a version that shows all of the tweets displaying. If someone has a link to that please let me know.
I did not listen, so there was nothing about polygammy - nothing about how easily he replaced his old wife with wife #2, and how wife #2 was a gift from God?

Good to see it was mainstream.
He did speak quite nicely about his late wife and what a blessing she was. He only mentioned Wendy once saying that he met her after his wife died and that he was grateful for her as well.
~2bizE

CaptainSalty
Site Admin

Post by CaptainSalty » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:27 pm

I changed the board heading to see if we show up in search results.

Why not capitalize on the #GiveThanks? :lol:

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:44 pm

If I say #givethanks for being Mormon, does that somehow negate my thanks and invite Satan into the conversation?
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:57 pm

CaptainSalty wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:27 pm
I changed the board heading to see if we show up in search results.

Why not capitalize on the #GiveThanks? :lol:
I #GiveThanks for The Cap'n's brilliance.

Come find us Google!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:08 pm

#GiveThanks
A place to love and accept the people who think about and live Mormonism on their own terms.
Will this become the official NOM banner?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:40 pm

I was thinking about what Nelson actually delivered, once you take out the bragging and personal stories, and it occurred to me that you wouldn't think it was anything special if you heard it coming out of the mouth of a 13-year old youth speaker in sacrament meeting, including the social media challenge.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."