What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
MoPag

Re: What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by MoPag » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:18 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:12 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:48 pm
Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:59 pm
I got sick over the weekend and got tested as part of going to the doc. My test results are positive. So despite my efforts, I am a plague carrier.

With the BS going on in my area over Covid, I'm annoyed but not surprised.
Please take care of yourself as best you can.

Keep us updated if possible?
What he said...

Any updates from Oliblish?
I'm pretty sure I remember reading a post that they were all better.
Feel better soon Just This Guy!!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:38 am

MoPag wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:18 am
Thanks Mopag! Just browsed back up the thread and see that now.

My MIL may have it now but is refusing to get tested. :cry:
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:41 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:38 am
MoPag wrote:

Yikes! I hope she gets better.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:13 am

Red Ryder wrote:
MoPag wrote:

Does she at least have a thermometer and pulse oximeter, and know anything at all about trying to care for herself at home?

If she'll listen at all about such things, it might be a good idea to find out.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:17 am

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:13 am
Red Ryder wrote:
MoPag wrote:

Does she at least have a thermometer and pulse oximeter, and know anything at all about trying to care for herself at home?

If she'll listen at all about such things, it might be a good idea to find out.
She had a short career in healthcare in a prior life before she was reincarnated into a Mormon stepford child bearing machine programmed to spew guilt and shame on her unbelieving son in law!

So yes, I think she knows how to care for herself which is good considering the circumstances. She does think it’s the flue but who knows with Covid so rampant in these parts of the woods.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:23 pm

Today is my last day of quarantine.

According to the State of WV, They went off of first day of symptoms, so Monday was the last day of that. According to where I work, they go off of the first positive test, so today is my last day for that. Man, is is a pity my last day of quarantine is our last day before a 4 day weekend. Shucks. :D

The doctor's office really botched DW's test. We have no idea what all happened to it. We are guessing it was either a bad test or it got lost somewhere along the way. She was retested on Wednesday the 15th. It took them 4 days to run that and that was after some prodding from her. result was positive. So according to WV, she is done with quarantine on the 25th.

My dad was tested a couple days ago and he came back as asymptomatic positive. DM was negative. So she has been retested and is waiting on results, otherwise her quarantine is until Jan 13 if it is still negative.

I took the kids to be tested today, so we'll see how that goes. I suspect may kids have gotten very mild cases, but don't know for sure yet.

I was only really sick for the first 2 days. Since then, I tire easily. We had a heavy snow storm Wednesday and shoveling out from that was a real struggle. I could only work for 20 minutes at a shot before I was too exhausted to continue. My 9 year old daughter provided a lot of help get us out.

I have fortunate that I was able to work from home this week. So between that and sick time, it won't hit the pay check. I'll be back to work Monday. I still have the occasional sneezing fit, my nose is completely dry and slightly painful. My sense of smell hasn't been here for about a week, but my taste is fine. DW can't smell either, her taste disappeared, but has mostly come back.

The disturbing part of all this is that apparently the Covid-19 testing has a disturbingly high rate of false negatives. After DW and I both tested positive for strep, The only reason DW stayed home was the fact that I tested positive. Since according to the doctor, her first test was negative, had she not retested she would have been out and about despite being positive. It does make you consider how many people also got false negative tests and didn't stay in because they thought they were fine.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:52 pm

After working all year in healthcare, I ended up having a positive covid test the day after I scheduled my vaccine appointment. 2020 irony for sure. I'm doing just fine, and I've had a very mild case overall. The timing was fortunate as it was easy for my kids to quarantine/the older ones were already doing school from home.

And, I'll get the vaccine as soon as the hospital team tells me how long I should be waiting. Hope is still on the horizon. :D

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:06 pm

Just This Guy and Glass Shelf, glad you're doing well!

What a weird illness. My nephew's family all got it. The older in-laws were barely affected but the very healthy 20-year old athlete got very sick. A couple of older extended family members died after they were infected at a funeral.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: false negatives. They are telling people here with symptoms to self isolate 14 days with a negative test to be sure.

I've had 2 saliva tests recently as part of screenings. Due to my public facing job I'm anticipating getting the vaccine as soon as this coming week. Waiting to hear about an appointment time.

Newme

Post by Newme » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:34 pm

glass shelf wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:52 pm
After working all year in healthcare, I ended up having a positive covid test the day after I scheduled my vaccine appointment. 2020 irony for sure. I'm doing just fine, and I've had a very mild case overall. The timing was fortunate as it was easy for my kids to quarantine/the older ones were already doing school from home.

And, I'll get the vaccine as soon as the hospital team tells me how long I should be waiting. Hope is still on the horizon. :D
I tell you this out of love: don’t get the mRNA covid vaccine. People have already died of it, & high rates (89%?) had negative side effects.

Besides, your body already built up immunity & your body’s immune system is much much more intelligent & effective than any vaccine.

Newme

Post by Newme » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:04 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:04 am
Putting on a mask when you are in close proximity with other people just isn't a serious hardship. The law says I have to wear pants in public. Maybe I don't want to wear pants today but I'm not going to have a tantrum about it or show up at the Capitol waving an AR-15. Especially if I know I'm only going to be required to wear pants for a few more months.
Seriously? Covering the nose and mouth - limiting oxygen & increasing carbon dioxide - is not the same as covering your a-s.

Again, there are multiple problems with wearing masks. You believe a woman has a right to kill her baby? It’s her body right? Yet, you cannot see how the constitutional right to one’s BODY applies regarding medical treatment (masks)?

Think about the obvious. Although your breath is altered, when wearing a mask, you can breath in & out right? Well respiratory virus particles can also go in & out. As Fauci said, “you don’t need a mask. Masks are just symbolic at this point.” Symbolic for.... :?:

The truth about masks... covid from the front line
https://youtu.be/7_b0AhqvAVw

hmb

Post by hmb » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:10 am

My former son-in-law and his new wife are both nurses. They are so overwhelmed right now. He works emergency and she works in ICU. The both just received their first vaccine. I'm so happy for them. It gives me hope. I look forward to getting the vaccine, probably spring or summer. My husband is older and will probably get it in the next month or two. Are there risks? Yeah, but there's a long list of risks for Aspirin, Tylenol, Ibuprofen as well. For me, the small risk outweighs the disease. I got the flu shot, the shingle shot, which have their own risks.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:33 am

Newme wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:04 pm
Again, there are multiple problems with wearing masks. You believe a woman has a right to kill her baby? It’s her body right? Yet, you cannot see how the constitutional right to one’s BODY applies regarding medical treatment (masks)?
You're making this about accusing me of killing babies? I guess you didn't read the latest guidelines from the CDC that I posted.

About your video. Mike Jensen is a family physician and Republican politician who also isn't listening to the CDC, or at least he wasn't back in May when he made this statement and found himself under investigation by the Health Department for spreading misinformation.

There has been a lot of research since those early statements by Fauci and others. Please pay attention to what he is saying NOW. They didn't know back then that COVID was aerosolized. It's not as much about stopping the individual virus particles as it is about trapping the aerosol particles. Masks do that. Please bring yourself up to date. This isn't a political issue. It's science.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:03 am

Newme wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:04 pm
Think about the obvious. Although your breath is altered, when wearing a mask, you can breath in & out right? Well respiratory virus particles can also go in & out. As Fauci said, “you don’t need a mask. Masks are just symbolic at this point.” Symbolic for.... :?:
Sourced from The Blaze, in case you trust them more than other sources:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/fauci-sec ... ver-happen
"I want to protect myself and protect others [by mask-wearing], and also because I want to make it be a symbol for people to see that that's the kind of thing you should be doing," he added.

During the interview, the infections diseases expert also admitted that wearing a mask is not 100% effective, but says that it is a gesture that shows "respect" for other people.
"Not 100% effective" doesn't mean "useless." It's clearly not just about respect, so I ignore the word "but" up there that connotes dismissing the idea of wearing a mask to protect others. Fauci used more precise words when giving his reasons: and also.

(I also ignore "admitted," which makes it sound like Fauci has been accused of something. I find this us-vs-establishment attitude pervasive throughout The Blaze's reporting, so I mentally correct for it.)

Please update your talking points to keep from spreading misinformation.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Newme

Post by Newme » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:09 am

Speaking of “misinformation,” realize you have been under mind control (there is such a thing as psychological warfare), but what makes it work is convincing the masses that their lies are right & anything contradicting their official narrative is “dangerous to our democracy”... :lol:

https://youtu.be/Bfu_RIdGT2A

Pretty sure I already shared other obvious reasons why this “magic” covid is being used to take away rights. I’ll just leave you with this:

“RNA (Ribonucleic Acid) is the messenger between DNA & ribosomes to make proteins. RNA directly codes for amino acids & is directly involved in protein synthesis...
Proteins form structures, enzymes, or other chemicals to create the building blocks of organisms and maintain homeostasis. When a cell needs to make a protein, say the enzyme to digest lactose (the sugar in milk), it needs to use/read the DNA code to make proteins. We call this process protein synthesis.“

mRNA vaccines:
1) new, never tried before, lots of unknowns, especially longitudinally
2) Could be more potent than other vaccines
3) Most of what has been studied is re: cancer & irrelevant to Covid (which requires B-cells immune activation)
4) Easy manufacturing (cheap to make, $$$$)

mRNA vaccine risks:
*local & systemic inflammatory responses that could lead to autoimmune conditions
*bio-distribution & persistence of the induced immunogenicity expression
*development of auto-reactive antibodies
*toxic effects of any non-native nucleotides & delivery system components

Diseases involving defects in RNA: heart disease, stroke, some cancers

Btw, I’m not against helpful vaccines (have gotten several especially traveling), but I am against these mRNA covid vaccines.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:47 am

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:15 pm

Newme wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:09 am
Speaking of “misinformation,” realize you have been under mind control (there is such a thing as psychological warfare), but what makes it work is convincing the masses that their lies are right & anything contradicting their official narrative is “dangerous to our democracy”... :lol:
I read mainstream and right-wing news to gather a wider selection of facts than I would get from either alone. I analyze all of them for bias and try to correct for it. I give facts high weight, expert opinions medium weight, and editorializing low weight. I don't trust any one person, group, or ideology to tell me the whole truth, because none of them can. I read medical journal articles.

I'm not "the masses," but it's not because I analyze the hell out of everything for myself. I'm not "the masses" because "the masses" don't exist. The existence of "the masses" is a lie people tell themselves to present themselves as enlightened. It's a stereotype.

I've never read anything as dumb as a suggestion that disbelieving the mainstream account of Covid-19 is dangerous to our democracy. Maybe I've been reading the wrong sources.
mRNA vaccines:
1) new, never tried before, lots of unknowns, especially longitudinally
2) Could be more potent than other vaccines
3) Most of what has been studied is re: cancer & irrelevant to Covid (which requires B-cells immune activation)
4) Easy manufacturing (cheap to make, $$$$)
Yeah, they're wicked cool and a good fit for the pandemic. Making the immune system synthesize inert bits of the virus is clever. Allows us to vaccinate billions.

The only worrying thing is #1. They haven't been around long enough for a solid longitudinal assessment.
mRNA vaccine risks:
*local & systemic inflammatory responses that could lead to autoimmune conditions
*bio-distribution & persistence of the induced immunogenicity expression
*development of auto-reactive antibodies
*toxic effects of any non-native nucleotides & delivery system components
Only persistent immunogenicity (i.e. taking a long time for your system to stop making the inert virus bits) is unique to RNA vaccines. That's why people with autoimmune disorders are more at risk with these. Personally, I trust my doctor to assess my additional risk in this regard.

There's something missing from this list. It tends to be missing from lists compiled by people seeking to dissuade others from doing something. There's no quantification here. What proportion of people are affected? What makes these risks more likely for some people than others?

I wouldn't take medical advice based on bare possibilities like those.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:32 pm

Sister Ryder and I both tested positive earlier this week. So far fairly mild and manageable. The biggest worry is wondering if this is the worst of it or if this coming week will get worse. The weird headache has me up at night. Not having to sweat through polyester polygamy panties has been comforting though.

Pretty sure another family member got it after a night in the ER triage area awaiting an x-ray.

Prayers, thoughts, candles, poems, Wiccan spells, Chicken noodle soup for the soul, whatever else makes you tick would be appreciated for them.

They’re much older and frail than us.

Wear a mask folks and get vaccinated.

...and ignore Newme. :lol:

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:08 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:32 pm
Sister Ryder and I both tested positive earlier this week. So far fairly mild and manageable. The biggest worry is wondering if this is the worst of it or if this coming week will get worse. The weird headache has me up at night. Not having to sweat through polyester polygamy panties has been comforting though.

Pretty sure another family member got it after a night in the ER triage area awaiting an x-ray.

Prayers, thoughts, candles, poems, Wiccan spells, Chicken noodle soup for the soul, whatever else makes you tick would be appreciated for them.

They’re much older and frail than us.

Wear a mask folks and get vaccinated.

...and ignore Newme. :lol:
I'm sending virtual hugs and Wiccan healing spells for you and Sis Ryder!!!!

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:18 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:32 pm

For me, the first couple days were the worst. Fever, headache, chest tightness. That lasted 48 hours. After that, symptoms were pretty mile for the next ~5 days. Headaches, lack of energy, and shortness of breath. After the first week, we were feeling close to normal.

Sorry to hear you got it. Take it easy and you'll get through this before you know it.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams