Priesthood vs. Energy Healing

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Priesthood vs. Energy Healing

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:39 am

There's some interesting discussion lately by Bill Reel and RFM about the new handbook's prohibition on energy healing.

Let me state, right off the bat, that I am generally skeptical of the general bubble that contains things like energy healing. That said, my message to the sisters of Zion practicing this form of healing is "Go for it!"

The reason I applaud it is because it is a primarily a response by LDS women to the church excluding them from priesthood, even if they may not see it as a direct protest. If men can claim mystical healing power without proof, then I say let the women do the same, and let the church demonstrate that it's version of magical healing is any more effective.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Yobispo

Re: Priesthood vs. Energy Healing

Post by Yobispo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:35 pm

The church also slightly opened the door when they admitted that women used to have some role in healing blessings. To my knowledge, the church never said that women used to be able to be ordained, set people apart or bless for anything other than health, which is what these people are now doing. It's that corner they've painted themselves into with their history, where they have to start admitting things but it then creates new issues for them to deal with. When they admit things like seer stones and polyandry they probably knew they'd have members somewhere braking out their favorite rocks.

There is another side of this, too. The church has pounded the message of modern revelation so loudly, for so long, with no actual revelations. People are starved for it. So when Julie Rowe shares an incredible story and her new powers or Denver Snuffer talks about seeing Jesus or the newest polygamous leader pops up in the ward, people have been trained to follow those feelings and off they go, doing what they've been trained to do since nursery: Follow the Prophet.

If it didn't still mess with my head and trigger old emotions and feelings I'd enjoy the show with a big bowl of popcorn.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:34 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:39 am
...If men can claim mystical healing power without proof, then I say let the women do the same, and let the church demonstrate that it's version of magical healing is any more effective.
The church's version of magical healing also involves magical oil! :shock:

So there's that...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:26 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:34 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:39 am
...If men can claim mystical healing power without proof, then I say let the women do the same, and let the church demonstrate that it's version of magical healing is any more effective.

So there's that...
Yes, they used to sell consecrated oil at temple square consecrated by different church leaders...

https://rsc-legacy.byu.edu/archived/our ... ouring-oil
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:27 pm

2bizE wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:26 pm
wtfluff wrote:

So there's that...
Yes, they used to sell consecrated oil at temple square consecrated by different church leaders...

https://rsc-legacy.byu.edu/archived/our ... ouring-oil
Ha.

That's new to me.

We won't mention what Brigham Young did with Magick Oil.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:40 am

wtfluff wrote:

So there's that...
LDS women are allowed to use the non-consecrated cooking oil variant.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:45 am

Here's my favorite part:
...and drinking consecrated oil.

In keeping with the practice of both liturgical and secular healing, Latter-day Saints also mixed consecrated oil with other compounds for medical treatment. Ann Hansen, a folklorist, described many examples from her research:

[Consecrated oil] was taken as a cure for appendicitis. Mixed with grains of sugar, it was given for coughs and croup. Combined with a few drops of camphor, it followed the stinging mustard plaster. It relieved sunburn and scratches, was applied to the scalp for dandruff, and was mixed with soda into paste for severe burns. Bishop Ravsten said at the bedside of one sick patient, “I feel prompted to oil the bowels.” An olive oil enema was given. [50]

Such examples abound in the primary documents of the era. Brigham Young sometimes mixed consecrated oil with other materials for use as an enema to relieve constipation. [51] General Relief Society president Zina D. H. Young described in her journal a treatment for rheumatism (arthritis) that involved blending consecrated oil with smaller amounts of ether, turpentine, ammonia, and camphor. [52]
I would not recommend the consecrated oil/turpentine mixture for enemas, however.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

hmb

Post by hmb » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:59 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:45 am

I would not recommend the consecrated oil/turpentine mixture for enemas, however.
Do you speak from experience? Care to share??

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:45 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:45 am
Here's my favorite part:
...and drinking consecrated oil.

In keeping with the practice of both liturgical and secular healing, Latter-day Saints also mixed consecrated oil with other compounds for medical treatment. Ann Hansen, a folklorist, described many examples from her research:

[Consecrated oil] was taken as a cure for appendicitis. Mixed with grains of sugar, it was given for coughs and croup. Combined with a few drops of camphor, it followed the stinging mustard plaster. It relieved sunburn and scratches, was applied to the scalp for dandruff, and was mixed with soda into paste for severe burns. Bishop Ravsten said at the bedside of one sick patient, “I feel prompted to oil the bowels.” An olive oil enema was given. [50]

Such examples abound in the primary documents of the era. Brigham Young sometimes mixed consecrated oil with other materials for use as an enema to relieve constipation. [51] General Relief Society president Zina D. H. Young described in her journal a treatment for rheumatism (arthritis) that involved blending consecrated oil with smaller amounts of ether, turpentine, ammonia, and camphor. [52]
Mormonism is so weird. So weird.
~2bizE

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:16 pm

"Brother Heber Q. Buttock, by the power of the Melchizedek priesthood, I place my hands upon your, uh, your... drawers, maybe? and seal this, uh, oh God... I mean, O God, hear the words of my mouth, and seal this anointing that I mightily pray remains anointed for the time being, so do please clench Brother Heber, and I'll pronounce a blessing upon thee that if thou remainest faithful and clenching... hoooookay, maybe not, so inthenameofourSaviorJesusChristamen!"
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

SaidNobody

Post by SaidNobody » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:59 pm

This is sad. Mocking the beliefs of others. I love energy healing.