When fantasy meets reality

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

When fantasy meets reality

Post by deacon blues » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:58 pm

Michael McLeod, former LDS from South Africa shares some thought-provoking insights in this article: https://medium.com/interfaith-now/hints ... 219923fa7c
It's interesting that a guy from South Africa might see this while Americans, confirmed in USA exceptionalism might not. :o
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Re: When fantasy meets reality

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:59 am

Thanks for linking this article, Deacon. I really enjoy this kind of 30.000 foot view about things that are sometimes too close to see. Colonialism is alive and well in the church. Leaders are still talking about getting foreign converts to abandon their cultures and adopt the church as their culture. It is, after all, the rolling stone that is supposed to engulf the entire planet.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:34 pm

This article reminds me of something I used to think about when I was younger. Because Mormon was obviously a huge fan of Captain Moroni (and even named his son after him) he probably went to great lengths to paint him in a positive light and the reader might not be getting the whole story.

Maybe similar to how Nephi could do no wrong because everything was from his perspective. It might be a temptation to write in that way if you were keeping a journal that you knew would be your legacy. Which just reminded me of this thing that I came across years ago:

http://toadland.net/1er/humor/book_lemuel.pdf

I read Orson Scott Card's Homecoming series in high school (the Book of Mormon in space), and I remember liking the way he made the characters a little less cardboard.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:21 am

Wow. I never thought of the BoM that way. Colonialism is alive and well in Mormonism still today. Look at the Maori folks in New Zealand and the Navajo Tribe in Arizona.
~2bizE

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:24 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:59 am
Leaders are still talking about getting foreign converts to abandon their cultures and adopt the church as their culture. It is, after all, the rolling stone that is supposed to engulf the entire planet.
The engulfment was certainly the common narrative for most of us, but it's been shifting the last couple of decades to something that better fits the growth numbers:

Elder Cook:
The scriptures are clear that in the last days there will be “wickedness and abominations” (1 Nephi 14:12). However, the Saints, small in number and scattered upon all the face of the earth, will be “armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory” (1 Nephi 14:14).
Nephi saw our time when the Saints of God would be upon all the face of the earth, but their numbers would be small because of wickedness.
But it won't stop them from trying.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE