Nelson Gets Vaccinated

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Mormorrisey

Nelson Gets Vaccinated

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:49 am

Okay, so my obsession with all things American election-related is almost over, and back to Mormonism.

Apparently, Pres. Nelson and everyone over 70 of the General Authorities was vaccinated today:

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2021/1/19 ... mormon-lds

This has my grudging respect, in a couple of ways. First, this is going to piss off the anti-vaxxer segment of the Mormon population, which is rather large. In fact, while Pres. Nelson did give these people an out, saying it was up to the individual to decide, he also called on them to make such a determination "in concert with competent medical professionals." Not your local essential oils representative, not your local energy healer, but a competent doctor. Wow. This is not going to go down well with the people I know on Facebook, even up here. But kudos to them for rolling their sleeves up and showing the example. And I'll actually give Oaks some kudos, when he said this: "“We’re very hopeful that the general vaccination of the population will help us get ahead of this awful pandemic. It’s hopeful, like the light at the end of the tunnel." Never thought I would see the day where I'd be thankful for Oaks speaking up.

This, in concert with the admittedly rather weak condemnation of the capitol violence last Friday, is probably the last straw for Trumplican Mormons. You should see the comments on the Newsroom Facebook page after Friday's statement condemning the violence there and the potential for future violence; the commentary was quite the dumpster fire, with many people calling the first presidency apostates and the like. Crazy times we live in, where the first presidency are willing to wage war with their own followers over this stuff.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

El Chihuahua Chingón

Re: Nelson Gets Vaccinated

Post by El Chihuahua Chingón » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:33 pm

I'm happy to see that he got vaccinated as early as possible. I fully believe in the power of vaccination, but I also hope that he remains healthy following both doses. Can you imagine the response of members if his health were to deteriorate immediately?

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:33 pm

Over a YEAR after the the virus was discovered and thought to be an issue, and the Prophets, Seers and Revelators finally step up and show a tiny bit of "leadership?"

My too-cynical fluffy monkey brain is yelling: "Too little too late." They could have done so much more...

Edit: And now that I've glanced at the "article" detailing this momentous occasion: I'm extremely grateful that I don't have to dress up in a MORmON uniform to get a needle poked in my arm.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:24 pm

Yes, I'm glad that they are setting the example. Yes, as 70+ year old folks they need the protection more than a younger person. Yes, the anti-vaxx folks need a smack in the head from Dear Leader. But I can't help this nagging little irritation that they got it first.

With all of their resources, including and especially the ability to work from home indefinitely with zero risk to their personal financial and health situation, I would have been far more impressed if they put out a special message to the seniors to make sure they sign up, with a list of public resources AND the message that they will be first in line to get it, right there in line with LaVerl and Phillis from the ward. You know, putting other, higher-risk people first. You could call it something like a "sacrifice" of their own comfort by giving the other seniors a week or two to get it before they got it. Hell, lie about it, but just try to look like you're humble.

Call me grumpy but these men want us all to believe they are just lowly, meek servants of Jesus but they're actually Fortune 100 mega executives.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:36 pm

Yobispo wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:24 pm
Yes, I'm glad that they are setting the example. Yes, as 70+ year old folks they need the protection more than a younger person. Yes, the anti-vaxx folks need a smack in the head from Dear Leader. But I can't help this nagging little irritation that they got it first.

With all of their resources, including and especially the ability to work from home indefinitely with zero risk to their personal financial and health situation, I would have been far more impressed if they put out a special message to the seniors to make sure they sign up, with a list of public resources AND the message that they will be first in line to get it, right there in line with LaVerl and Phillis from the ward. You know, putting other, higher-risk people first. You could call it something like a "sacrifice" of their own comfort by giving the other seniors a week or two to get it before they got it. Hell, lie about it, but just try to look like you're humble.

Call me grumpy but these men want us all to believe they are just lowly, meek servants of Jesus but they're actually Fortune 100 mega executives.
I get your aggravation, but I'm also happy they got their vaccinations at the appropriate time (not before health workers), publicized the event, AND encouraged others to vaccinate as well. As wealthy as they are, they still are at risk. They presumably have family members whom they see and interact with at times. Being rich and powerful does not immune one from the virus.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:42 pm

Sigh. In my heart of hearts, I know you're both right, fluff and Yobispo. When I analyze it, I guess my bar for these guys is so low, anytime they do something that makes sense is cause for celebration. And since I'm stuck dealing with this nonsense for the foreseeable future, I was appreciative of the effort. Even though it seems that this is a tacit admission that the two worldwide fasts were as effective as a wet fart.

I suspect the other reason I'm grateful is my latent disdain for the anti-vaxxer crew. And this is fairly recent. I have a kid who lives in the American midwest, and has been besieged by these people as they've vaccinated my grandkids. I have little patience for these ignoramuses who make my kid cry because they've decided to protect their kids through science. One of these lunatics actually said to my kid, "how can you give your kids the mark of the beast?" So I don't have much empathy for these people and their nutcase agenda. When the leadership of the church these people belong to can show how stupid they are, it makes me happy.

In any event, hopefully areas with high concentrations of Mormons get the message.
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Linked

Post by Linked » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:38 pm

Yobispo wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:24 pm
But I can't help this nagging little irritation that they got it first.
I understand the sentiment, but they really did wait their turn. My 75+ year old parents were vaccinated the same day as them and they have no special status. If they had been vaccinated a month ago that would be another thing.

I'm guessing Nelson wasn't spamming F5 like my parents and I were to schedule the appointment though...
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:24 pm

Linked wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:38 pm
I'm guessing Nelson wasn't spamming F5 like my parents and I were to schedule the appointment though...
Sounds like a job for a service missionary. :P
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:05 am

I am happy that all the 80-year-old plus Brethren got vaccinated. It sets a good example for vaccination-shy Church members.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:50 am

moksha wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:05 am
I am happy that all the 80-year-old plus Brethren got vaccinated. It sets a good example for vaccination-shy Church members.
Agree strongly. The leadership of an organization greatly influence its tone and culture, and I like to see this one pulled a little away from conspiracy theories and science denial.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:08 am

Mormorrisey wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:49 am
You should see the comments on the Newsroom Facebook page after Friday's statement condemning the violence there and the potential for future violence; the commentary was quite the dumpster fire, with many people calling the first presidency apostates and the like. Crazy times we live in, where the first presidency are willing to wage war with their own followers over this stuff.
Holy cow. I just glanced through a few of the comments on the post about Nelson getting the vaccine. It's chock-full of things like:

"If our corrupt government would allow chloroquine to be used there would be far less deaths. But they needed high numbers of deaths to implement their voter fraud scheme."

"I guess this is to weed out the members who cannot or do not think for themselves or listen to the voice of the Spirit but follow blindly. There is SO MUCH contrary evidence, so much sinister about these vaccines."

This kind of conspiracy theory mentality seems to be growing exponentially within the church. Church leaders have been far too concerned about the threat posed by intellectuals, uppity women, and gay people, when the actual existential threat to the church seems to be coming from the faithful who are looking for prophets who receive revelation in line with their beloved seers like Hannity and Limbaugh. There's even talk on there about how it's time for the old guard to die so correctly inspired men can step in and defend us against the evil conspiracies.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:23 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:08 am
This kind of conspiracy theory mentality seems to be growing exponentially within the church. Church leaders have been far too concerned about the threat posed by intellectuals, uppity women, and gay people, when the actual existential threat to the church seems to be coming from the faithful who are looking for prophets who receive revelation in line with their beloved seers like Hannity and Limbaugh. There's even talk on there about how it's time for the old guard to die so correctly inspired men can step in and defend us against the evil conspiracies.
Sounds like the Church is being co-opted by a DezNat variant of QAnon. Will the Empire strike back against these rebel forces? Fox News is doubling down with less news and more right-wing opinion. That is bound to spill over into the chapels.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:11 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:08 am
Mormorrisey wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:49 am
You should see the comments on the Newsroom Facebook page after Friday's statement condemning the violence there and the potential for future violence; the commentary was quite the dumpster fire, with many people calling the first presidency apostates and the like. Crazy times we live in, where the first presidency are willing to wage war with their own followers over this stuff.
Holy cow. I just glanced through a few of the comments on the post about Nelson getting the vaccine. It's chock-full of things like:

"If our corrupt government would allow chloroquine to be used there would be far less deaths. But they needed high numbers of deaths to implement their voter fraud scheme."

"I guess this is to weed out the members who cannot or do not think for themselves or listen to the voice of the Spirit but follow blindly. There is SO MUCH contrary evidence, so much sinister about these vaccines."

Heck, you want real crazy about Nelson and the vaccine? Try LDS Freedom Forum!

https://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtop ... =1&t=59092

That's some grade-A apostasy right there. I actually read some of what some of these QUtah Qultists posted to Sis. M, and she was in complete shock that members of the church are talking about the First Presidency this way. At my most apostatetic (sp?) I have never said these kinds of things against the "Brethren." And it's over vaccines, vaccines THAT WILL END A DANGEROUS PANDEMIC. And you're right, Hagoth, they're so worried about Boyd's satanic trifecta of "smartypants," gay people and feminists, that they've completely ignored the inheritors of Benson's nutbar rightwing conspiracy theories. And since these people have made their choice, and it's the anti-vaxxer conspiracy, not the church, the church as an institution has no clue what to do. I never thought that there would be such a complete divorce of the Bensonites from the church as we're seeing now.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:46 pm

"Our church is run by clueless fools, at best. So embarrassing to see this man grinning like an idiot under his mask while he gets his jab."

Yeah, they have bigger problems on their hands than Book of Abraham historicity.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:33 pm

Solution: TSCC should just buy pfizer, then it would have righteous dominion over their own vaccines. That would potentially draw in more members, but would it convince the conspiracy folks? Probably lose a few, but swing some on the fence. I could see how this might help TBMs add evidence the so called prophet power, using Jebus money to protect and heal on a mass scale instead of it sitting in an investment fund. But instead it just keeps sitting there, paying off loans on malls and real-estate projects, but not really helping anyone but a few at the top.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:58 pm

Mother in law said yesterday...

“I wasn’t going to get the vaccine but then I saw that President Nelson did and read his testimony so I’m going to get it!”
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:31 am

I was moved by this quote from the LDS/Freedom forum :? : "This isn't a vaccine as much as it is a technology...a technology that seems to want to mimic, and bypass your G*d given immune system. I have often thought this year about the Word of Wisdom and what role it plays in all of this.

4 Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation
This also caught my attention in my reading this week:
19 For a desolating scourge shall go forth among the inhabitants of the earth, and shall continue to be poured out from time to time, if they repent not, until the earth is empty, and the inhabitants thereof are consumed away and utterly destroyed by the brightness of my coming."

That's not me by the way, it's a quote. ;)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:47 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:31 am
I was moved by this quote from the LDS/Freedom forum :? : "This isn't a vaccine as much as it is a technology...a technology that seems to want to mimic, and bypass your G*d given immune system. I have often thought this year about the Word of Wisdom and what role it plays in all of this.

4 Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation
This also caught my attention in my reading this week:
19 For a desolating scourge shall go forth among the inhabitants of the earth, and shall continue to be poured out from time to time, if they repent not, until the earth is empty, and the inhabitants thereof are consumed away and utterly destroyed by the brightness of my coming."

That's not me by the way, it's a quote. ;)
Hoo, boy. The Mormon conspiracy theory and Qanon are merging before our eyes.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:06 pm

Reuben wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:47 pm
Hoo, boy. The Mormon conspiracy theory and Qanon are merging before our eyes.
Isn't it fascinating when a hyper-conservative institution becomes too liberal for its ultra-conservative members? Instead of nailing theses to the church door they will burn crosses on the lawn.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:51 pm

Well... One of my ageing relatives has received their first dose of Moderna.

There are three doctors that had influence on the decision: Their personal doctor, their grandson doctor, and Dr. Rusty Nelson.

Even though it pains me greatly, I must give 1/3 of my thanks to Dr. Re-Brand for his photo-op example of getting vaccinated.

Thanks for stepping up Dr. Rusty and cronies! (Finally... :ugeek: )
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...