You know you have turned a corner when...

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

You know you have turned a corner when...

Post by Hagoth » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:45 am

...your wife gives you worldly boxer briefs for Christmas. :D
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Angel

Re: You know you have turned a corner when...

Post by Angel » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:50 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:45 am
Congratulations Hagoth!!

I got fancy loose-leaf tea, and a Terot card deck & crystal ball to go with my gypsy ren-fest outfit. Also, some bike gear for our Sunday bike rides. This was my 2nd Christmas out - asked the fam if they wanted to go to a candlelight Christmas eve thing, and the answer was no. We did Christmas lights, got the telescope out, got the 16yo a muscle car so car show today. We handed out little hand-made cooking stuff, and just two recipients were from church, I guess we have a new group of friends now too. Seems so long ago, life finally getting normal.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:19 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:45 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: You know you've turned the corner when you feel grateful to be able to wear "normal" undies and not think anything of it. - Or get and give "normal" Christmas presents like a coffeemaker, gift card to Starbuck's, some bubbly sparkling wine for New Year's Eve, etc. - Wndr.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:25 pm

Wonderment wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:19 pm
Or get and give "normal" Christmas presents like a coffeemaker, gift card to Starbuck's, some bubbly sparkling wine for New Year's Eve, etc. - Wndr.
My daughter gave me an espresso machine and I didn't think to mention it. I will now have to figure out how to use it and that seems much more daunting.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:07 pm

Wonderment wrote:
Or get and give "normal" Christmas presents like a coffeemaker, gift card to Starbuck's, some bubbly sparkling wine for New Year's Eve, etc. - Wndr.
I got one of those too. Everything is coming up Hagoth.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:29 pm

I got DW a Kurig Duo for Christmas. That is a combo carafe and K-cup coffee maker. She was very excited to get that. Amazing how much has changed in 6 years for us.
moksha wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:25 pm
Wonderment wrote:
My daughter gave me an espresso machine and I didn't think to mention it. I will now have to figure out how to use it and that seems much more daunting.
I'm no barista, but I can do a descent latte. Shoot me any questions you have. Congrats and have fun!
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:55 am

A few weeks ago my family went to Idaho for the sealing of my niece and her new husband. My wife made a point to remind me to bring garments in case we get invited into the temple. She treated this as simply one additional thing to make sure we packed without being passive aggressive. it was on the level of "Don't forget your recommend!" that is regularly heard before travelling to an LDS temple.

So, it's not as exciting as what Hagoth is hearing, but it made for a good Christmas in my house.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:15 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:55 am
it was on the level of "Don't forget your recommend!" that is regularly heard before traveling to an LDS temple.
The Church would have less worry about unauthorized people entering their Temples if they just microchipped the recommendations into the members subdermally.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Brent

Post by Brent » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:12 am

My adult children keep gifting me Scotch!

græy

Post by græy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:09 pm

Today, I fear I will never turn that corner. Congratulations, Hagoth!
Hagoth wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:07 pm
Everything is coming up Hagoth.
You deserve it! :D
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:09 am

... you ask your wife if she wants something to drink before you sit down to watch a movie in the privacy of your bedroom and even though she says "nah" she knows that you meant a hard seltzer or cider and not a Dr Pepper.

hmb

Post by hmb » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:07 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:09 am
... you ask your wife if she wants something to drink before you sit down to watch a movie in the privacy of your bedroom and even though she says "nah" she knows that you meant a hard seltzer or cider and not a Dr Pepper.
That's because Dr Pepper is the devil's juice. Caffeine, ya know :P ?

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:53 am

Correct, which is why we stick to the decaffeinated beer.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:18 pm

You know you've turned a corner when you see Brigham Young football in a different light:

-- Moksha

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:51 pm

I keep asking for a coffee machine !!! I'm jealous!!!!.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:24 pm

You know you’ve turned a corner when your kids are talking about the GameStop short squeeze instead of Nephi and President Nelson.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:13 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:24 pm
You know you’ve turned a corner when your kids are talking about the GameStop short squeeze instead of Nephi and President Nelson.
Too bad there is not a market for publicly trading shares in religious organizations. I suppose that the Corporation of the President of TCoJCoLDS could go public and offer shares, but that would make their finances public and we all know they would vote opposed on that sustaining vote.

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:37 pm

You have barely thought about Mormonism for years, you move on to other things, gender transition intervenes, and you decide to visit NOM again, not to get support, but on a lark.

I may not have told the people here, but I am a trans woman (pronouns she/her).
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:06 pm

You know you've turned a pleasant corner when your daughter brings home a takeout order of Gang Dang and Masaman Curries. Very faith-affirming over basmati rice!
:D
-- Moksha

hmb

Post by hmb » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:27 am

moksha wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:06 pm
You know you've turned a pleasant corner when your daughter brings home a takeout order of Gang Dang and Masaman Curries. Very faith-affirming over basmati rice!
:D
Mmmmm. Curry and Basmati rice. Not something I can find in tiny town, redneck country. I do miss good ethnic food.