An Acid Test for Prophecy

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Re: An Acid Test for Prophecy

Post by Hagoth » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:59 am

deacon blues wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:28 am
When: in the future-vague 5
Where: every nation- 5
Why: spread the gospel 6
How: through missionary work? 5
Backdated: nope, it's future :) 10
But taking the gospel to every nation is a description of what the church has been doing for most of the history of the church, so I see no glimmer of prophesy whatsoever there. He could turn around tomorrow and say, "it worked! we're taking the gospel to every nation." It just depends on how specific you need "every" to be.

Here's a prophesy for you: Next year God will reveal to us exactly who the Lamanites are and will give us a foolproof method for identifying them, then we can finally take the gospel to them as commanded in the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:17 am

SaidNobody wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:51 am
You are a MANHATER!
That's strike one, SaidNobody. I'm not going to tell you whether you get two strikes or three.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:11 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:17 am
SaidNobody wrote:
You are a MANHATER!
That's strike one, SaidNobody. I'm not going to tell you whether you get two strikes or three.
Sorry if this seems harsh everybody, but name calling is out of bounds. In retrospect I probably should have redacted the post and approached SN via PM (which I also did) to work it out before going all nun-with-a-ruler.

alas

Post by alas » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:08 pm

SaidNobody wrote:
+------+++
I didn’t see this before then it was brought to my attention, but I think the assumption behind the insult needs to be addressed.

OK, I can see that if one doesn’t take my comment as totally satire, like “a Modest Proposal” that you could see it as “man hating”. Dropping everyone into acid who claims to be a prophet is only man hating *IF* one assumes that all prophets are men. Do you see the sexism behind the assumption? I don’t assume all prophets are male. Very Mormon assumption. There were female prophets in the Old Testament. There are modern women who claim to be prophets and have started churches. So, watch the assumptions.

My objection to people who claim to be prophets is too many of them turn out like Jim Jones, David Koresh, and Warren Jeffs. They end up manipulating 14 year old girls into “marriage” and sexually abusing children, or some other strange sexual practices, like free love or total celibacy for all followers.

My thoughts on a true prophet would be like one chapter in (IIRC) Richard Bach’s book “One”. It tells about an old man being given a book by God. He shares it with the two characters in the book and they marvel over the beautiful doctrine. Then the old prophets says, “let’s burn the book” and the two characters are horrified. But it came from God. But it teaches such wonderful ideas. Yes, says the old man, but does the world need another religion to fight wars over? He leads them step by step through what would happen with a new religion....same as has happened with all the old ones. People fight wars over them. So, the three of them burn the book.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:50 pm

Alas, I thought it was pretty obvious that you were using the wording of the subject line to draw a comparison to the time-honored water test that female "prophets" have been subjected in the past.

By the way, some people think the water test is a myth. It's not, and it has been around a lot longer than I thought. I was surprised when I came across it a few years ago while reading the Code of Hammurabi (1754 BC).

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:38 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:50 pm
... female "prophets"...
While there were at least seven women prophets in biblical times, the patriarchy of the LDS Church now insists that God has become misogynistic, meaning He supports the Brethren's views.

It requires some explaining to men of the Mormon persuasion
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

hmb

Post by hmb » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:49 am

alas wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:08 pm
SaidNobody wrote:
+------+++
I didn’t see this before then it was brought to my attention, but I think the assumption behind the insult needs to be addressed.

Oh. I wondered what that was about. I didn't know which post he was referring to. Thanks for clarifying.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:37 am

hmb wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:49 am
alas wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:08 pm
SaidNobody wrote:
+------+++

Oh. I wondered what that was about. I didn't know which post he was referring to. Thanks for clarifying.
It appears to have been redacted by either the author or another mod.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:32 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:37 am
It appears to have been redacted by either the author or another mod.
Could Q have sent a message from space piggybacked onto those Jewish lasers?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Post by alas » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:11 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:38 pm
Hagoth wrote:
... female "prophets"...
While there were at least seven women prophets in biblical times, the patriarchy of the LDS Church now insists that God has become misogynistic, meaning He supports the Brethren's views.

It requires some explaining to Mormon women too. When I was a senior in high school, I arrived at the seminary building way early one morning. (I was avoiding a boy) and was the only one there. My Seminary teachers says “Good Morning A, do you know you are named after a prophet in the Bible?” Um, no. So, that night I get out my Bible dictionary and I look up my name. Yup, my name comes from a prophet in the New Testament. I was 18 years old, so 18 years of primary, young women’s, Sunday school, sacrament meetings, 4 years of Seminary and I had never once heard of the prophet whose name I was given. I had heard of the man who worked with her and heard him called a prophet. But the New Testament text is clear in calling her a prophet, and unlike English, the Jews at the time used the same word for a male prophet as a female prophet. But our Mormon dictionary claims that the female prophetESS is just a spiritual woman, while the male prophet speaks to God. Meanwhile the New Testament treated her as just as important, not lesser than the male she worked with. Mormon God is more sexist than Jesus’s God.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:25 pm

alas wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:11 am
moksha wrote:
Hagoth wrote:
... female "prophets"...

It requires some explaining to Mormon women too. When I was a senior in high school, I arrived at the seminary building way early one morning. (I was avoiding a boy) and was the only one there. My Seminary teachers says “Good Morning A, do you know you are named after a prophet in the Bible?” Um, no. So, that night I get out my Bible dictionary and I look up my name. Yup, my name comes from a prophet in the New Testament. I was 18 years old, so 18 years of primary, young women’s, Sunday school, sacrament meetings, 4 years of Seminary and I had never once heard of the prophet whose name I was given. I had heard of the man who worked with her and heard him called a prophet. But the New Testament text is clear in calling her a prophet, and unlike English, the Jews at the time used the same word for a male prophet as a female prophet. But our Mormon dictionary claims that the female prophetESS is just a spiritual woman, while the male prophet speaks to God. Meanwhile the New Testament treated her as just as important, not lesser than the male she worked with. Mormon God is more sexist than Jesus’s God.
Sounds like you had a NOM or a mild heretic as a seminary teacher.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:00 pm

The sad tendency to call "prophetesses" in the Bible by the Mormonly correct designation "Righteous Women" shows up in an article in "LDS Living" that is titled: "5 Righteous Women Called Prophetesses In The Bible" August 8, 2018 issue. It's amazing how the LDS Church loves its own political correctness. :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:27 pm

moksha wrote:
Change of topic. How do I go about getting an octopus head massage? Or is that just for the ladies?

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:59 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:27 pm
Change of topic. How do I go about getting an octopus head massage? Or is that just for the ladies?
Tokyo? The Japanese have a thing for tentacles. Or maybe that is also just for the ladies.

I think that medieval art was showing Hildegard of Bingen had either a direct connection with the Kolobian Star System or else the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Here is more about Hildegard of Bingen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxMxRnb1N-M
Later on, her polymath abilities were able to be replicated by Leonardo da Vinci.
-- Moksha