Indoctrination: how They want your loved ones to see you

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Indoctrination: how They want your loved ones to see you

Post by Hagoth » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:47 am

From the descriptions, your TBM loved ones really should think of you as "good & honorable but blinded by the craftiness of men," but NO, they have to have a completely different category to reinvent your particular brand of nonbelief (i.e. you stopped paying tithing) as far more despicable than, say, whoremongering.

Of course, we know that Outer Darkness was invented by Joseph Smith for the sole purpose of dissuading his followers from listening to his friends who finally threw up their arms and walked away when his religion started getting out of hand. 19th century Mormonism's version of Fake News.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Corsair

Re: Indoctrination: how They want your loved ones to see you

Post by Corsair » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:29 am

A pragmatic outsider could look at this "map" and see that the whoremongers and adulterers are probably partying up in the Telestial kingdom while the decent people are enjoying the Terrestrial kingdom. I think we know where Jimi Hendrix and David Bowie are hosting Lollapallooza in the post-mortal world. Both kingdoms appear to have little risk compare to the crazy people who might fall to destruction on their way to VIP heaven. This is especially stark when "avoiding coffee" and "paying a ton of money to Russell Nelson's church" are two strict requirements.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:59 am

The apostasy slide looks a lot more fun in that picture than it is in real life.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:29 am

Has this ever been used in an official church publication? I've seen versions of this but I dont believe ever from any official church materials?

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:21 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:29 am
Has this ever been used in an official church publication? I've seen versions of this but I dont believe ever from any official church materials?
This particular picture, as you can see from the copyright notice on the lower left, is from the "Institute for Religious Research", an evangelical organization.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:23 pm

LSOF wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:21 pm

This particular picture, as you can see from the copyright notice on the lower left, is from the "Institute for Religious Research", an evangelical organization.
Yeah - that's why I was asking. I've seen it before from what looked like earlier versions, so not sure if they have ever produced it earlier. I'll have to look around later for it.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:24 pm

I believe this one was used in old church materials... no outer darkness though.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:46 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:24 pm
I believe this one was used in old church materials... no outer darkness though.

This one interests me. Smoking and coffee take you to the terrestrial kingdom, but liquor takes you to the telestial. Where does beer and wine fall in this hierarchy of sins?

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:14 pm

Tobacco and Tea for the win!

Alcohol just leads to sex which we all know details the route to Celestial-Ville

Celestial-Ville has the better landscaping, costumes, and genitalia.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:39 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:29 am
You're right, the modern correlated church would never release something that direct and informative. The current dumbing down of process leans more toward this kind of Rainbow Ponyland sort of stuff:

Here's an unofficial but faithful version that reminds us how simple and beautiful God's plan is.

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:26 am

That first LDS "Free Agency" illustration was a hoot, but wouldn't you expect to find mainly musicals along Broadway and perhaps "the twin relics of barbarism" along the Low Way?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:52 am

I grew up with the rectangles and circles and wavy lines. I miss those.

You start in a circle and go through the wavy line to another circle with the "you are here" sign. Eventually, you go through another wavy line to either the circle on the top or the circle on the bottom. The circle on top is better of course, but if you're there, you're basically spending all of your time working with people in the lower circle, so you might as well go there anyway, because it really doesn't matter. Then, no matter what circle you're in, you go to the rectangle. EVERYONE who was at the second circle gets to go to the rectangle. Basically, if you go through the first wavy line, you gotta go through the second wavy line, but then you eventually get to the rectangle, so that's really cool. There are some people who can just dash through the second wavy line really quickly, like in the blink of an eye and skip the two circles, but for most of us going through the second wavy line probably just sucks, but don't be afraid because you will love the rectangle.

Then there's another rectangle and this one maybe isn't so great because Christ is there, and yeah I know, Cool it's Jesus! But not so fast my friend, he's sitting at a chair at this rectangle, and he's gonna ask you some questions (and probably maybe gonna check to see if you have the passwords, but we can't really talk about that because it's too sacred). Still, this is Christ, so of course he's totally fair. He'll send you on to one of three circles. The one on top is, again, the place you wanna be. If you go to the one on top, you basically have it made and you get to live in a mansion with your entire family forever, or at least the annoying ones who were never much fun to hang out with. But don't be thinking it's all eating grapes and petting lions, buddy, this is the place you get to get to work on the next part, but this is where you basically build your OWN adventure. I'm thinking maybe throwing some triangles and hexagons in there, but hey, that's me.. you can build whatever you want.

So, if you go to the second circle, you're still gonna be so happy. You are basically stuck there, but it's still way better than the "you are here" circle. This is like Jesus's vacation circle. He doesn't live there, but he likes to visit.

The bottom circle.. well you basically have to be a real shit to get to the bottom circle, but get this; it's STILL better than the "you are here" circle. Jesus doesn't ever visit the bottom circle, but the holy ghost hangs out. Think of this like the motel 6 circle.

If you notice there's also a weird blobby circle below the bottom circle. You don't even want to know about this place. It's full of the worst of the worst, and there's basically no electricity so it's always dark.
Last edited by Cnsl1 on Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:29 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:52 am
...but this is where you basically build your OWN adventure. I'm thinking maybe throwing some triangles and hexagons in there, but hey, that's me.. you can build whatever you want.
See, you have disqualified yourself right there by already coloring outside of the lines. Even in godhood you will still be constrained by a tight set of rules and if you deviate you will "cease to be God." The only escape from the eternal treadmill is to the skip the ladders and take the chute. Freedom is just a sip of tea away.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:44 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:39 pm
Here's an unofficial but faithful version that reminds us how simple and beautiful God's plan is.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

hmb

Post by hmb » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:59 pm

Cnsl1 wrote:

The bottom circle.. well you basically have to be a real shit to get to the bottom circle, but get this; it's STILL better than the "you are here" circle. Jesus doesn't ever visit the bottom circle, but the holy ghost hangs out. Think of this like the motel 6 circle.
So...no mints on the pillows?
Cnsl1 wrote:
If you notice there's also a weird blobby circle below the bottom circle. You don't even want to know about this place. It's full of the worst of the worst, and there's basically no electricity so it's always dark.
Ah, Texas in winter 2021. You get to hang with Cruz.

I was always taught that outer darkness was only for those who had perfect knowledge (so very few) and then denied the holy ghost. Not your regular, straying from the iron rod, baptized into the true flock types. Should I be concerned :twisted: ??