The word Mormon

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Re: The word Mormon

Post by Hagoth » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:30 pm

We are no longer the knights who say "Ni"
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:17 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:30 pm
We are no longer the knights who say "Ni"
The Church of Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z' nourrwringmm ???
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:27 am

I think the timeline of GC talks about Mormonism is telling. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse...

Timeline of Mormon Talks:

- April 1990 - Russel M. Nelson gives "Thus Shall My Church Be Called" talk, denouncing the use of the word Mormon.

- October 1990 - Gordon B. Hinckley gives "Mormon Should Mean “More Good”" talk, forgiving those that would call us Mormons and encouraging members to make "mormon" a badge to be proud of, putting Nelson in his place in a way.

- 1990-2018 - Russel M. Nelson waits patiently for 28 years for Gordon B. Hinckley and Thomas S. Monson to die, meanwhile the church spends millions on the "I am a Mormon" campaign to make "mormon" a badge to be proud of.

- 2018 - Thomas S. Monson dies and Russel M. Nelson becomes prophet.

- 2018 - Russel M. Nelson gives "The Correct Name of the Church" talk calling the use of the word "mormon" a victory for Satan, and putting Gordon B. Hinckley in his place as a disgraced former prophet who was wrong.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:37 am

Linked wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:27 am
- 1990-2018 - Russel M. Nelson waits patiently for 28 years for Gordon B. Hinckley and Thomas S. Monson to die, meanwhile the church spends millions on the "I am a Mormon" campaign to make "mormon" a badge to be proud of.
Don't forget:

- 2014 - The theatrical release of the "Meet the Mormons" movie. Wards were literally encouraged to rent out entire theaters to make the box-office numbers "look good."
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:27 am

D&C 107:
2 Why the first is called the Melchizedek Priesthood is because Melchizedek was such a great high priest.
3 Before his day it was called the Holy Priesthood, after the Order of the Son of God.
4 But out of respect or reverence to the name of the Supreme Being, to avoid the too frequent repetition of his name, they, the church, in ancient days, called that priesthood after Melchizedek, or the Melchizedek Priesthood. :shock:

Can we be Respectful and Reverent if we "too frequently repeat his name?" :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:47 am

deacon blues wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:27 am
D&C 107:
2 Why the first is called the Melchizedek Priesthood is because Melchizedek was such a great high priest.
3 Before his day it was called the Holy Priesthood, after the Order of the Son of God.
4 But out of respect or reverence to the name of the Supreme Being, to avoid the too frequent repetition of his name, they, the church, in ancient days, called that priesthood after Melchizedek, or the Melchizedek Priesthood. :shock:

Can we be Respectful and Reverent if we "too frequently repeat his name?" :roll:
This is always something that just makes absolutely no sense to me... and it shows how silly it all is.

Melchizedek is barely ever mentioned in the Bible or the 'ancient' church. And I might be wrong, but I believe Melchizedek is again a title and not a specific person, which is the same problem Joseph runs into with Pharaoh in the BoA and Christ/Messiah in the BoM.

With regards to the "name change" that RMN did, it was one of the first things I wrote about on the website: https://www.ldsdiscussions.com/blog-reb ... revelation

What is even more fascinating than the entire history of Nelson insisting that Mormon must go is the quote from his wife Wendy that came out after my write-up. Her quote really gives the entire game away. From Wendy Nelson: “I have seen him changing in the last 10 months,” she says. “It is as though he's been unleashed. He's free to finally do what he came to earth to do. … He's free to follow through with things he's been concerned about but could never do. Now that he's president of [the church], he can do those things.”

In other words, Nelson is just doing the things he always wanted to do but had no authority to do previously. It's not revelation, it's not inspiration, it's just living long enough to take over the church so he can just do what previous prophets mocked him for.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:07 am

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:37 am
Linked wrote:
Don't forget:

- 2014 - The theatrical release of the "Meet the Mormons" movie. Wards were literally encouraged to rent out entire theaters to make the box-office numbers "look good."
That sounds a lot like Scientology and the book Battlefield Earth. Members were pressured to buy many copies of that book to boost it to the best sellers list. It got to the point where Scientology members would buy so many books that they would just have them sent back to the store and stores would get "new" books in that already had their own price stickers on them. So there really is no idea how many books were resold multiple times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefie ... ogy's_role

Scientology learned a lot from Mormonism, but there are some thing that LDSInc learned from Scientology,
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:27 am

wtfluff wrote:
Linked wrote:
Don't forget:

Perhaps we should also mention that in 2008 the church got involved in California's Prop 8 which is now what many people think of when they think of mormons, and not in a good way. So much for a badge to be proud of.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Atlanticmike

Post by Atlanticmike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:58 pm

annotatedbom wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:01 pm
Hey Atlanticmike, welcome to NOM. It's a great place because of the folks here. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Like you and others have pointed out, the name change is a huge problem in consistency. If the Church were really being led by an all-knowing, all-powerful God, why all the flip-flopping?

I posted about this here, but as I recall, the only thing that post adds to your thread is that there was an entire multi-million dollar, international media PR campaign to promote the Church not that many years ago called "I'm a Mormon." Kind of odd that God would allow them to waste the widow's mite to promote a colossal victory for Stan. It's almost as if the Church has no special connection with God.

And you mentioned this whole move to get away from using the term "Mormon" kind of feels like it's taking a part of your identity away. That makes sense. I think we were taught to identify with it in a positive way. It sounds like you might be mourning what the Church used to mean to you. If that's right, I'm sorry you're going through that. It can be sad and lonely to let go of what you thought the Church or the general leaders of the Church were.

Peace to you amigo,
A-BoM
Thank you

Atlanticmike

Post by Atlanticmike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:03 pm

2bizE wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:31 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:34 am
So I've been studying church history the past 2 months. I guess you could say I'm going through a faith crisis. I don't do social media, infact the first real time I've actually opened an account to talk to people online would be on the md&d board. It's a great board but some questions I dont feel like I can ask, so that's why I joined you guys.
One of my biggest gripes about the church, or more particularly what pres. Nelson said a couple years ago, is that the word Mormon is considered a victory for satan when we use it instead of the correct name of the church. I've watched his talk over and over, and cant get past the fact that it seems like what he's saying is purely a business decision instead of a spiritual decision. In 1990 pres. Hinckley said the word Mormon means "more good" and the name can bring luster, honor and respect to the church. Two opposing views that make absolutely no sense to me. Personally, I dont want to be known as a Christian, xxxk that, if the church is true I feel like we stand up and proclaim its truth, and a word like "mormon " cant hurt the truth, just like Pres. Hinckley said. Anyways, thanks for reading this, would love to hear your opinion and if your interested in some of my views I have posted on the pro board over 500 times in the past 2 and a half months.
I’m glad you came over to our group and posted some wonderful thoughts. I enjoy posting at MDD because I get attacked like flies on a cow pie with every thoughts I post.
I understand your concern with the word Mormon and have similar feelings. For 34 years, RMN has disliked the word Mormon. He has spoken about it a few times and was rebuked a bit for it by Hinkley I believe. So upon rising to power, as his wife stated that he had been waiting for a long time to make a bunch of changes. Changing how members call themselves Mormon was just one of the changes. The whole bit about Mormon being a spawn of Satan was a bit of drama. I have not yet changed calling Mormons, Mormons. I was born Mormon and will continue to use that word. I do call those who choose not to use the word Mormon anti-Mormons. It’s unfortunate that RMN has turned the church against itself in this way. After he and Oaks die, I think the craziness will die down a bit...until Bednar takes over, then a new level of craziness will start. Don’t put too much thought into this change to anti-Mormonism, it will blow by soon enough. I can tell you most people in this group don’t really put much thought into the Alpha male banging his chest for everyone to hear and see....
Yes, I think I'm starting to frustrate a few people over there. That's ok, I like giving my perspective.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:08 pm

annotatedbom wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:01 pm
Hey Atlanticmike, welcome to NOM. It's a great place because of the folks here. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Like you and others have pointed out, the name change is a huge problem in consistency. If the Church were really being led by an all-knowing, all-powerful God, why all the flip-flopping?

I posted about this here, but as I recall, the only thing that post adds to your thread is that there was an entire multi-million dollar, international media PR campaign to promote the Church not that many years ago called "I'm a Mormon." Kind of odd that God would allow them to waste the widow's mite to promote a colossal victory for Stan. It's almost as if the Church has no special connection with God.

And you mentioned this whole move to get away from using the term "Mormon" kind of feels like it's taking a part of your identity away. That makes sense. I think we were taught to identify with it in a positive way. It sounds like you might be mourning what the Church used to mean to you. If that's right, I'm sorry you're going through that. It can be sad and lonely to let go of what you thought the Church or the general leaders of the Church were.

Peace to you amigo,
A-BoM
My mind is remembering Ezra Taft Benson singing “Mormon Boy” at a priesthood camp out I attended in my youth and he came for a special fireside...
~2bizE

hmb

Post by hmb » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:41 am

I'm not good with acronyms. What is MDD?

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:38 am

Linked wrote:
I think the timeline of GC talks about Mormonism is telling. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse...

Timeline of Mormon Talks:

- April 1990 - Russel M. Nelson gives "Thus Shall My Church Be Called" talk, denouncing the use of the word Mormon.

- October 1990 - Gordon B. Hinckley gives "Mormon Should Mean “More Good”" talk, forgiving those that would call us Mormons and encouraging members to make "mormon" a badge to be proud of, putting Nelson in his place in a way.

- 2018 - Thomas S. Monson dies and Russel M. Nelson becomes prophet.

- 2018 - Russel M. Nelson gives "The Correct Name of the Church" talk calling the use of the word "mormon" a victory for Satan, and putting Gordon B. Hinckley in his place as a disgraced former prophet who was wrong.
Great timeline Linked. I wonder if banning the word Mormon in book titles sold at Deseret Book should be added. It wasn’t that RMN just said not to use the word, he then started a fierce campaign to eliminate it from books.
~2bizE

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:40 am

hmb wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:41 am
I think it refers to the Mormon Dialogue and Discussion board.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:59 pm

hmb wrote:
Mormon Dialogue and Discussion
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:10 pm

hmb wrote:
Prior to renaming itself MD&D, the board name was previously MAD. Some referred to it as "the aptly named MAD board".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:50 am

wtfluff wrote:
And then they released a sequel.

There is only one way all of this can make sense. There are only a very small subset of the church - the best of us - who are allowed to be called "Mormons." The purpose of those films was for us to meet all of them, and maybe someday find ourselves worthy to bear that sacred title. The church thought they had covered all of the true Mormons in the first film but then they found some more and had to make a second. Now we've met all of them, so that's out of the way and we can go on properly referring to the rest of the membership as "Members of the CoJCoLDS."

Too bad, those Mormons seem like great people. I guess that's why they made movies about them. I'm hoping some more MotCoJCoLDSs will be worthy to bear that honored title someday. Maybe enough to make a third movie.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Atlanticmike

Post by Atlanticmike » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:03 pm

I've been thinking a lot about the church moving away from using the word Mormon and I'm starting to feel that in the future there's a chance that they might also drop "latter day saints". The name of the church isn't just a name, it's also a statement. For how long after the millennium can you consider yourself a "latter day Saint"?
One thing I've learned lately is, from 1998 to the end of 2000, 51 temples were dedicated, doubling the number of temples worldwide to 102 by the end of 2000.To me, when I think about that, it makes me feel like someone high up in the church thought christ might be coming back at the millennium. Am I looking at the wrong? If so, why else would they build 51 temples in 3 years when it took over 160 years to build the first 51 temples.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:11 pm

Atlanticmike wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:03 pm
I've been thinking a lot about the church moving away from using the word Mormon and I'm starting to feel that in the future there's a chance that they might also drop "latter day saints". The name of the church isn't just a name, it's also a statement. For how long after the millennium can you consider yourself a "latter day Saint"?
One thing I've learned lately is, from 1998 to the end of 2000, 51 temples were dedicated, doubling the number of temples worldwide to 102 by the end of 2000.To me, when I think about that, it makes me feel like someone high up in the church thought christ might be coming back at the millennium. Am I looking at the wrong? If so, why else would they build 51 temples in 3 years when it took over 160 years to build the first 51 temples.
Second coming is near?
To bolster the legacy of President Hinckley?
To use gains from the investment portfolio and avoid capital gain taxes?
To bring the temple closer to the people?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:06 pm

Just saw this on reddit, and thought it fit here.