Post COVID Church scramble

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
no1saint

Post COVID Church scramble

Post by no1saint » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:35 am

Moving into a post COVID world, how many people won’t go back to full time activity and what will the church do to try and win them back? 1 hour church?

nibbler

Re: Post COVID Church scramble

Post by nibbler » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:40 am

I have no idea how covid will have affected the overall activity rate but I can say that I'll probably seize the opportunity to fade away from activity.

I don't think the church mindset is geared towards coming up with ways to win people back. The mindset has a blind spot when it comes to the concept of catching more flies with honey, its wheelhouse is demeaning the fly and chipping away at its sense of self worth until the fly feels like crawling back is the only solution.

I hope I'm wrong, but the solution will probably be less positive reinforcement and more guilt and shame. I've already heard whisperings of the 10 virgins among the members that attend in person so we're off to a bad start.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:49 am

Overall I think that attendance will allow lots of people to simply not attend and this will be reflected in church attendance all over the world. It will slowly approach pre-COVID levels but it will take a non-pandemic emergency to reach or surpass 2019 attendance.

My ward just announced that the second hour meetings will be restarting in a few weeks. They will be virtual so the drain on bandwidth in my area will be substantial at that point. My brother's ward in Utah has this plan which puts every member of the family on a different Zoom stream simultaneously. Everyone's video quality is degraded as a result.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:13 am

Corsair wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:49 am
My ward just announced that the second hour meetings will be restarting in a few weeks. They will be virtual so the drain on bandwidth in my area will be substantial at that point. My brother's ward in Utah has this plan which puts every member of the family on a different Zoom stream simultaneously. Everyone's video quality is degraded as a result.
Thats interesting - here in the Midwest they've had the second hour meetings via Zoom for the last 2 months or maybe even longer.

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:29 pm

I attended SM yesterday as part of an agreement with my DW to attend as a family twice a month, and the place was very empty. It was almost sad. I'm guessing a lot of people are gone for good now.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:35 pm

I’ve been once in the last year. Pretty full attendance but then again nearly everyone there has had Covid.

2nd hour has been a volunteer basis where the over zealous gospel doctrine teacher does his own lesson and invited anyone to participate. Not the official 2nd hour but more like an extra curricular hour like chess club or debate. Only even more boring.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:46 pm

The flavour of Church events outside of the general conference format has become quite charismatic evangelical in its favour and presentation. Is this a way to sexy up the Church? The staid WASP branding of the Church seems irrelevant to people today, are we seeing a full rebrand?

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:45 am

Friday night bingo.
More pot-lucks featuring Relief Society prepared ethnic dishes (put those Church kitchens to use!)
Bring back vacation and summer travelogues for Fast and Testimony meetings, together with a slide show.
Twice a summer steak barbecues (the Church can afford it).
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:22 am

When John Dehlin interviewed John Larsen most recently, Larsen made an interesting comment. Dehlin asked if it was fair that the church can't win. If it doesn't change, critics accuse it of being a dinosaur. If it does change, critics accuse it of changing with the times. Larsen responded that it's just a fact that the church can't win. It isn't what it claims to be, so it can't win.

What can the church do to bring people back? If it brings out the guitars and drums to spice up the meetings, people will wonder what is going on. If it continues as it is, there's no reason to go back. It could go back to its roots and have the roadshows and dance festivals, but we've lost those skills I think. The problem is that the church isn't what it claims to be. It can't win.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:01 am

blazerb wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:22 am
The problem is that the church isn't what it claims to be. It can't win.
I like this because it resolves the infinite loop.

Cut bait and go fish somewhere else.

That’s really the answer.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:42 pm

In a secret vote I bet most members, like Mrs. Hagoth for instance, opt to continue indefinitely watching church services via Zoom in their pajamas while multitasking other useful and interesting activities.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:17 pm

The church will merge back line upon line....
1) church will start each week, please come
2) We need everyone to come in person now.
3) Bishop revokes sacrament at home.
4) If you don’t come back to church your temple recommend will be revoked.
5) Phone calls: Mr. Jones, this is the EQ president of your 50 year old son James letting you know he has not been attending his church meetings. Can you please encourage him to attend?
~2bizE