General Konference Predictions

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
jfro18

Re: General Konference Predictions

Post by jfro18 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:06 pm

Wasn't the last GenCon one of the most boring and pointless ones under Nelson? It feels like at this point Nelson pushed through the changes he wanted to do and the church made a lot moves in recent years to reorganize the structure of Sunday meetings, etc.

Last October there was so much hype given the pandemic and Nelson's fasts and statements and so many people were posting during that weekend about all of the amazing things being said, but absolutely nothing happened that anyone cares about today.

I kind of feel like that is going to happen again - everyone expects so much given how insane the last year has been with COVID, but I am thinking it will end up being a big nothingburger... which probably means things are going to be happening like crazy.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:38 pm

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

hmb

Post by hmb » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:27 am

jfro18 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:06 pm
Wasn't the last GenCon one of the most boring and pointless ones under Nelson? It feels like at this point Nelson pushed through the changes he wanted to do and the church made a lot moves in recent years to reorganize the structure of Sunday meetings, etc.

Last October there was so much hype given the pandemic and Nelson's fasts and statements and so many people were posting during that weekend about all of the amazing things being said, but absolutely nothing happened that anyone cares about today.

I kind of feel like that is going to happen again - everyone expects so much given how insane the last year has been with COVID, but I am thinking it will end up being a big nothingburger... which probably means things are going to be happening like crazy.
And yet, my active LDS acquaintances goo goo'd over how wonderful the conference was. So wonderful to be led by a true and inspirational prophet.

It will be the same old, boring, message. Maybe they will claim some victory for the fasting events, which allowed scientists to create effective vaccines in record time. It couldn't have happened that quickly if there were no faith to open the gates of knowledge.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:45 am

hmb wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:27 am
jfro18 wrote:

And yet, my active LDS acquaintances goo goo'd over how wonderful the conference was. So wonderful to be led by a true and inspirational prophet.

It will be the same old, boring, message. Maybe they will claim some victory for the fasting events, which allowed scientists to create effective vaccines in record time. It couldn't have happened that quickly if there were no faith to open the gates of knowledge.
And then we could watch all the anti-vaxers loose their sh!t :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:27 pm

It seems like there hasn’t been a caution on things we wear recently like too many earrings, earrings for boys, tattoos, etc. Perhaps the brethren will caution the young men on the man bun hair style.
~2bizE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:00 pm

My serious guess is that the messages will be getting back to temple participation and missionary work and church attendance "real soon now". We should be spiritually prepared for returning to normal activity with some changes to the process. My father is a temple worker and has mentioned a couple of fairly common sense changes to the endowment ceremony which largely are focused on fewer handshakes and more hand sanitizer. Also, new variants of "Stay in the Boat" will appear accompanied by sounds of "sad trombone" playing in the mind of ex- and disaffected Mormons everywhere.

The fact that Easter Sunday occurs on Sunday Gen Con will not cause messages of the atonement to dominate messages, but a few talks will actually concentrate on the Savior. I prophesy that these will be relatively good, but will also be the minority. That, along with "nothing truly interesting will happen next weekend" are my predictions and I openly encourage LDS leadership to prove me wrong.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:43 am

General Snack Authority wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:43 pm
Is it a good idea to have a list of snacks to be picked up for General Conference? Beyond the obvious like Diet Coke and microwave kettle popcorn, what other snacks should we have on hand?
Pickles might be nice, but should they be Bednar bitter gherkins or Uchtdorf Zesty Dills?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:30 am

I predict a good nap for Mackman !!

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:59 am

moksha wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:43 am
General Snack Authority wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:43 pm
Is it a good idea to have a list of snacks to be picked up for General Conference? Beyond the obvious like Diet Coke and microwave kettle popcorn, what other snacks should we have on hand?
Pickles might be nice, but should they be Bednar bitter gherkins or Uchtdorf Zesty Dills?
:lol: Pickles!
DavidAllenPicklesLegomanBednar.png
DavidAllenPicklesLegomanBednar.png (73.07 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:06 pm

hmb wrote:
jfro18 wrote:

I was going to post this, but was beaten to it. I predict that the wording claiming the same will be very carefully crafted to try and avoid anti-vaxers losing their sh!%, but that most will see through it and lose it anyway. They will also add a brick to the shelves of those with budding scientific worldviews. So something to lose on the fringes, but they have got to say the two fasts did something or the more mainstream members may have cogdis to deal with.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:14 pm

“DPRoberts” wrote:I was going to post this, but was beaten to it. I predict that the wording claiming the same will be very carefully crafted to try and avoid anti-vaxers losing their sh!%, but that most will see through it and lose it anyway. They will also add a brick to the shelves of those with budding scientific worldviews. So something to lose on the fringes, but they have got to say the two fasts did something or the more mainstream members may have cogdis to deal with.
The TWO fasts could have inspired the Pfizer and Moderna doctors? Or the Pfizer and Johnson and Johnson doctors? Or the Moderna and J&J docs? Or the Astra Zeneca and some other doctor who had impure thoughts about a coworker in a lab coat and that company lost out because she wasn’t worthy?

The possibilities are endless when humans starve to pull god’s chain...
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:26 pm

hmb wrote:
“DPRoberts” wrote:I was going to post this, but was beaten to it. I predict that the wording claiming the same will be very carefully crafted to try and avoid anti-vaxers losing their sh!%, but that most will see through it and lose it anyway. They will also add a brick to the shelves of those with budding scientific worldviews. So something to lose on the fringes, but they have got to say the two fasts did something or the more mainstream members may have cogdis to deal with.
Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:14 pm
The TWO fasts could have inspired the Pfizer and Moderna doctors? Or the Pfizer and Johnson and Johnson doctors? Or the Moderna and J&J docs? Or the Astra Zeneca and some other doctor who had impure thoughts about a coworker in a lab coat and that company lost out because she wasn’t worthy?

The possibilities are endless when humans starve to pull god’s chain...
It will be interesting to see if they try to take credit for vaccines. (Not that I'll be actually watching or listening...)

Do you think they'll also take credit for the general up-tick in COVID cases and deaths that's currently happening? (Looking overall, worldwide.)

Oh, wait. The up-tick hasn't hit Utah (yet,) so it really doesn't matter to LD$-inc. and its "worldwide faith leader" eh?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:53 pm

View it here and at https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/eve ... e?lang=eng

This Saturday and Sunday.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha