Oakland Stake Has Female High Councilors, Bishopric Members

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
nomnv

Oakland Stake Has Female High Councilors, Bishopric Members

Post by nomnv » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:53 pm

I live in the Bay Area and went (virtually) to a ward recently where the announcements were given by a female leader who is a "Bishopric advisor." She and another female member of the ward are in all senior leadership meetings at the ward level. There is no "Bishopric only" meeting discussing ward business. The Bishop who pushed for this had to advocate for a while with regional leaders, but they relented.

And, if I followed correctly, the stake then followed suit because I am 95% sure a woman from the Stake was referred to as "President" after giving what was clearly the monthly high council talk.

It was...amazing. A church I could raise a daughter in. I know that the Bay Area is far to the left of Provo but man, gives you hope. No priesthood, so still "separate but equal" but actually a solid step toward equal that every ward or stake could take now if they were committed to empowering women in the church.

jfro18

Re: Oakland Stake Has Female High Councilors, Bishopric Members

Post by jfro18 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:54 am

I think this is the new initiative that was announced recently that women will be 'advisors' to the Bishopric - they can't make any decisions or hold any authority, but they're allowed to be in the meetings to give advice.

It's something of progress, but it's also nothing depending on the perspective of the person looking at it... which is probably why they decided to do it.

græy

Post by græy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:08 am

I don't remember hearing about this, and I don't see anything in the handbook. When/where was this announced?
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:32 am

jfro18 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:54 am
I think this is the new initiative that was announced recently that women will be 'advisors' to the Bishopric - they can't make any decisions or hold any authority, but they're allowed to be in the meetings to give advice.

It's something of progress, but it's also nothing depending on the perspective of the person looking at it... which is probably why they decided to do it.
The thing is, all of the authority is made up. Whether the women have power or not depends on how they are viewed by the other people. Do the women get to sit on the stand and let their husbands wrangle kids?

nomnv

Post by nomnv » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:50 am

jfro18 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:54 am

I hadn't heard of this but would be funny if done churchwide only because I briefly spoke with the bishop and it required a big fight a few years ago. I'm sure those who were opposed then haven't apologized or in any way owned that they, not God, were holding things up.

Funny in the "disgustingly arrogant but predictable" kind of way.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:50 am

Sounds great on the surface.

Underneath the veil of renaming, it just seems that the primary president, the YW president; and the RS president would just be labeled bishopric advisors? Then they can be referred to president and still maintain their mantle of authority.

Baby steps until women are priesthood holders and Bishops, SP’s, and apostles.

Progress nonetheless.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

hmb

Post by hmb » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:04 am

As a woman, I find it to be salt rubbed in an open wound. It's not progress, it's a mask. It's frosting on dog poo. Maybe I should be open to it being effort toward inclusion, but, sugar coated at best, it's still exclusion. It's wearing the veil in a prayer circle. You're there, but not fully. Huh, think I'm still bitter :? . Some day, I'll be able to leave it all behind.