What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Re: What are you doing to protect your family against the virus?

Post by moksha » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:50 am

What are the most common and most unusual reasons given by Mormons for not getting the COVID vaccine?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:59 am

I had a very sore arm for 4 days after getting my first dose of the Moderna vaccine, and I got the vaccine administrator to yell, "We've got a bleeder!" A price worth paying to get this under control.
moksha wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:50 am
What are the most common and most unusual reasons given by Mormons for not getting the COVID vaccine?
The thing I am hearing most is that they want to wait to see if there are any long term side affects. I suspect the real reason is more tribal, but admitting the real reason makes them sound bad.
moksha wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:58 pm
Utah currently has 13.6% of the population fully vaccinated. The rest of the United States is at 18.7%. I imagine the disparity lies in Utah's unique religious/political makeup.

Worldwide, 1.8% of the population has been fully vaccinated.
So far, I suspect this has more to do with Utah's population makeup and number of doses received. All the vaccine appointments are filled and I regularly hear people complain that they want a shot but can't get one because they aren't available. There was a day last week when 40,000 doses were administered. Not that I think this take is wrong, just premature. I expect we will see those issues come up in a month or so. I heard of one employer offering employees $200 to get the vaccine, so hopefully we see more incentives like that which gets the number of vaccinated up.

I am really sick of hearing healthy men tell me that they are going to hold off to see if all the vaccinated people become zombies before getting vaccinated. To them - you are welcome. And you are a selfish @#^hole, but at least you are "smarter" than the vaccinated sheep.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:14 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:58 pm
Utah currently has 13.6% of the population fully vaccinated. The rest of the United States is at 18.7%. I imagine the disparity lies in Utah's unique religious/political makeup.

Worldwide, 1.8% of the population has been fully vaccinated.

As I have watched a lot of the numbers for vaccination, I think Utah tends to just not report their numbers as often as other states do. As of today, according to Johns Hobkins University, Utah is at 17.89%, against a national average of 17.7%. Utah has been pretty consistent as being close to the national average when they do report their numbers. I don't consider it a political thing, just government reporting. Because of this different reporting schedule, depending on when you pull the data, they may be artificially low.

The long term trend is that Utah sticks pretty close to the middle of the line. While Utah is not as far ahead as Alaska, they are doing a very average job of getting people jabbed. As Linked put it, the problem is like everywhere else. Not a lack of willing people, but the overwhelming logistics of production and distribution.
Linked wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:59 am
I heard of one employer offering employees $200 to get the vaccine, so hopefully we see more incentives like that which gets the number of vaccinated up.

I am really sick of hearing healthy men tell me that they are going to hold off to see if all the vaccinated people become zombies before getting vaccinated. To them - you are welcome. And you are a selfish @#^hole, but at least you are "smarter" than the vaccinated sheep.

Where I work they are offering hourly employees a half a day of PTO (4 hrs) for completing their vaccination program. Unfortunately, so far, salaried people don't qualify.

I have known a number of people who were among the first to get the vaccine and they have yet to turn into zombies. One advantage of being non essential worker is I have gotten to see how it as effect people before I got my first shot. No one is suddenly worshiping Bill Gates and the Elon Musk fanboys are just as nutty as they were a year ago. So no reason not to get it.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:57 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:14 am
Where I work they are offering hourly employees a half a day of PTO (4 hrs) for completing their vaccination program. Unfortunately, so far, salaried people don't qualify.

I have known a number of people who were among the first to get the vaccine and they have yet to turn into zombies. One advantage of being non essential worker is I have gotten to see how it as effect people before I got my first shot. No one is suddenly worshiping Bill Gates and the Elon Musk fanboys are just as nutty as they were a year ago. So no reason not to get it.
Hopefully they open up the PTO benefit to salaried employees, that's a pretty good haul!

Good point about not being the first to get it. There is good reason to be nervous about a new vaccine, but at this point it seems like we have enough information about both the vaccine and COVID-19 to make it clear that the vaccine is preferable. Even if my BIL disagrees.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:05 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Does anyone know where this COVID Vaccine/Zombie theory comes from?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:16 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
I think Utah tends to just not report their numbers as often as other states do. As of today, according to Johns Hopkins University, Utah is at 17.89%, against a national average of 17.7%. Utah has been pretty consistent as being close to the national average when they do report their numbers.

I have known a number of people who were among the first to get the vaccine and they have yet to turn into zombies. One advantage of being a non-essential worker is I have gotten to see how it affects people before I got my first shot.
That is very encouraging. Hopefully, any lingering LDS fear of being turned into a zombie will be offset by GenCon 191 urging everyone to get vaccinated.

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:05 pm
Does anyone know where this COVID Vaccine/Zombie theory comes from?
Probably from Nephi or Alma. It might even be from the mysterious deep doctrine (meat rather than milk). A fuller understanding might come with the second anointing.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

shrugged

Post by shrugged » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:49 pm

Another thing I think could be impacting Utah percentages is age make up of the population. They have the most kids of any state and they aren’t eligible yet. I think in the long run, political make up will have an effect too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:13 pm

Can I get a blessing?

Just got the J&J and feeling mild discomfort in my left arm.

Fluffy or MoPag? If your both willing??
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Stig

Post by Stig » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:33 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:13 pm
Can I get a blessing?

I'll do it and I'll even throw in a sacrament of a hamburger and a Crown & DP.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:39 pm

Stig wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:33 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Can I get a blessing?

I'll do it and I'll even throw in a sacrament of a hamburger and a Crown & DP.
Done but only if your girlfriend brings some of those air fried jalapeño poppers over again!

Does Friday work? :lol:

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:51 pm

Got myself a vaccine/mark of the beast/Bill Gates tracking microchip/whatever today. My arm hurts like hell.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:02 pm

Millions of Evangelicals refuse to get vaccinated for various reasons. Among them:

The vaccine is made from aborted fetuses.
Getting vaccinated is playing God in trying to take from Him the ability to choose who does/doesn't die.
Vaccination cards are the apocalyptic Mark o' the Beast.
People are acting like the vaccine is a Savior, which violates the first commandment.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:14 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Can I get a blessing?

Fluffy thoughts are headed towards the land of AZ.

Might I also suggest resting your arm on a fluffy pillow? Maybe after waiving it in the air, like you just don't care... To get the blood moving.

I am absolutely positive that a MoPag-Stolic Blessing would help immensely more than my Fluffy thoughts in the ether.

P.S. I may or may not be getting #2 dose of Moderna tomorrow, or some other day. Does Bill Gates have a brand of cars yet? I'm sure I'm going to want to buy a Bill-Gates-Mobile in the near future. (As long as he'll give me COVID-Cash-For-Klunkers for my trade-in.)

Edit/P.P.S: Any of you NoM-Folk who actually contracted the virus have any "Long COVID" / lingering issues?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:27 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:14 pm
Edit/P.P.S: Any of you NoM-Folk who actually contracted the virus have any "Long COVID" / lingering issues?
Fortunately no for me. Had it back at the beginning of the year and it was a mild case of miserable. It took about 3 weeks to feel up to 85% of normal and another 3 weeks to feel back to “normal”. My stamina was gone and the fatigue lingered to the point 2 flights of stairs wore me out. Breathing felt like I had a tough time those first 3 weeks even though O2 sat never got below 95%.

Needless to say I don’t wish that on anyone or risk catching it again. Thus the vaccine today (regardless of the evangelical concerns...)

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:27 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:27 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:14 pm
Fortunately no for me. Had it back at the beginning of the year and it was a mild case of miserable. It took about 3 weeks to feel up to 85% of normal and another 3 weeks to feel back to “normal”. My stamina was gone and the fatigue lingered to the point 2 flights of stairs wore me out. Breathing felt like I had a tough time those first 3 weeks even though O2 sat never got below 95%.

Needless to say I don’t wish that on anyone or risk catching it again. Thus the vaccine today (regardless of the evangelical concerns...)
I got it before Christmas and my experience was about the same as Red's. I was pretty miserable for a week. Even after getting better, I would get winded pretty easy for weeks. It was around 2 months before I could push a cart around work from one side of the building to the other without having to catch my breath.

One of my coworkers got hit HARD. He actually went into coma from it and was out 10 days. The recovery for him has been long. He got sick in mid January, and only got out of the hospital last week. He is still on oxygen and can't come back to work.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:39 am

Return & Report: post vaccine morning.

Sister R had a pretty crazy headache and fever in the middle of the night about 12 hours post vaccine. Feeling a bit icky this morning still.

My arm is sore but no other anomalies yet. I’ll report back in over the next day or two.

Linked

Post by Linked » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:51 pm

LSOF wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:51 pm
Got myself a vaccine/mark of the beast/Bill Gates tracking microchip/whatever today. My arm hurts like hell.
I got my first dose of the Moderna vaccine a week ago and it was 4 days before my arm felt better. Much more sore than with a flu shot, like a bad bruise. A couple days ago I noticed an inflammed and sore lymph node in my neck on the same side of my body as the shot; apparently this is fairly common. Worth it so far. Looking forward to round 2...

My mom had a softball-sized bruise visible for a month after her second shot, but she feels totally normal now (and she bruises very easily).

alas

Post by alas » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:26 pm

Anyone have no side effects from the vaccine? My arm was not even sore, just nothing. Anyone heard the “why” behind lack of side effects? Did they just inject me with water? My husband had a slightly sore arm, about like a small bruise. His sister claims it is because we had covid.

Linked

Post by Linked » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:52 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:26 pm
Anyone have no side effects from the vaccine? My arm was not even sore, just nothing. Anyone heard the “why” behind lack of side effects? Did they just inject me with water? My husband had a slightly sore arm, about like a small bruise. His sister claims it is because we had covid.
My DW had a sore arm, but only for about 24 hours.

I've read that the first dose is worse for people who have already had COVID, because it is basically a booster at that point, and the booster has tended to have worse side effects.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:16 pm

alas wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:26 pm
My "older" parent basically had no side effects from Moderna. Maybe a slightly sore arm. They don't remember any other vaccine ever having side effects either though.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander