Doubters are lazy learners!!!!!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
stuck

Re: Doubters are lazy learners!!!!!

Post by stuck » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:13 pm

I believe he also said we should have greater faith. But he forgot about what the BOM says about faith--"if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true." Alma 32:21. This is not blind faith and/or obedience. All of us here on NOM have learned the truth about the church which the church does not want the general membership to know. And yet we can be sure that he and many if not all of the Q15 know all of the same things that we do. Perhaps he thinks by berating those of us who doubt, that it might bring some of us back. But I'm sure we can all agree that it will only make us more convinced that truth is on our side and that he is a leader of a cult ;)

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:15 am

I believe "lazy learner" is a phrase for an artificial intelligence algorithm. If I understand it correctly, the algorithm requires experience trials to develop. Modification of the learner is through experience only. In a eager learner algorithm, there are programmed assumptions. So the lazy learner can only function with assumptions created through trial based learning but the eager learner accepts formulaic assumptions given by the programmer. The LL learns more slowly, but is more likely to be accurate in its adaptation to its environment. The EL is only as accurate as its programs.

So, RMN might be on to something?

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:33 am

Those that believe whatever they are taught without questioning, and who never read anything besides what they are force fed are the definition of lazy learners.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:41 pm

GoodBoy wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:33 am
Those that believe whatever they are taught without questioning, and who never read anything besides what they are force fed are the definition of lazy learners.
Was that a GoodBoy siting?

How the heck are you? Update us sometime...
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:17 pm

I've been lazy... and learning... :D

Actually I resigned and stopped going to church and this tends to heal the soul so that the wounds no longer fester as much.

I'm so delighted that there are so many of you are still here! I love all you lazy, patty cake, taffy pulling, unruly children who helped me get through my dark night of the soul. I'll try to come around more often!
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:07 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:15 am
I believe "lazy learner" is a phrase for an artificial intelligence algorithm. If I understand it correctly, the algorithm requires experience trials to develop. Modification of the learner is through experience only. In a eager learner algorithm, there are programmed assumptions. So the lazy learner can only function with assumptions created through trial based learning but the eager learner accepts formulaic assumptions given by the programmer. The LL learns more slowly, but is more likely to be accurate in its adaptation to its environment. The EL is only as accurate as its programs.

So, RMN might be on to something?
Haha, good catch. Did RMN just burn himself? The church is certainly not very good "in its adaptation to its environment".
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:46 pm

These guys just make stuff up with nothing to back it up. They could say pigs have wings and many a TBM would nod in agreement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Stig

Post by Stig » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:17 pm

Indeed...I was such a lazy learner that I read everything I could get my hands on, studied it, prayed, went to the Temple, and discussed it with both believers and non-believers alike until I "lazy learned" myself all the way out of the church.

Just one more disparaging phrase for the "faithful" to use as a shortcut to insulting us and make themselves feel superior.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

slk

Post by slk » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:10 pm

It's easier for Rusty to point the finger at us at this point. We gotta keep his legacy intact.

They've got a long way to go with their rebranding. Calling us lazy learners is two steps forward one step back.

fetchface

Post by fetchface » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:21 am

I've read thousands of pages of books on church history. If that's what a lazy learner is, I don't know what it could possibly look like to not be lazy, lol.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/

græy

Post by græy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:50 am

I saw this on Reddit. But it seems relevant. Mormons actually do very poorly on their knowledge of religion as a whole...

https://www.pewforum.org/2019/07/23/wha ... -religion/

Take the quiz here: https://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/u-s-re ... edge-quiz/

I got 12/15 when I took the quiz.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:28 am

græy wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:50 am
Take the quiz here: https://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/u-s-re ... edge-quiz/

I got 12/15 when I took the quiz.
12/15 also. I'm a copycat eh?

I read one of the Buddhism questions wrong... :x

I did learn something about Judaism, and "Protestantism" though. More useless trivia to fluff up my fluffy brain. Yay!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:21 pm

I got 15/15. I did have to ponder a few more closely to figure out how they were breaking down the differences.

Stig

Post by Stig » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:55 pm

14/15. I don't know Buddhism well, at all.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:00 pm

14/15. I miss going to school now.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:02 pm

14/15. Forgot the Jewish sabbath actually started Friday at sundown.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:51 pm

14/15. Missed one because I'm lazy.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:42 pm

Culper Jr. wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:02 pm
14/15. Forgot the Jewish sabbath actually started Friday at sundown.
That one got me too.

I guess I'm already forgetting that Jesus "started" his 3-day-weekend/holiday on Friday...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:45 pm

15/15 - probably from watching PBS and reading SciFi.
Doubting Bird wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:33 pm
Doubters may be lazy learners but better lazy learners than never learners, eh?
Are you sure that doubters are not simply people who have learned to think? What if the non-doubters are those who are either in denial or else too are too lazy to entertain doubts?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:49 pm

This lazy learner got 15/15 with no guesses, which is more than double what the typical non-lazy Mormon scores. Maybe it's some sort of tricky test where less is really more, like if you know too much about other religions it's because you're not devoting enough attention to your own.

Or Satan. Always a good catch-all answer.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."