Doubters are lazy learners!!!!!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
LSOF

Re: Doubters are lazy learners!!!!!

Post by LSOF » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:59 pm

I got a perfect score. Lazy learning pays off.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:01 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:15 am
I believe "lazy learner" is a phrase for an artificial intelligence algorithm. If I understand it correctly, the algorithm requires experience trials to develop. Modification of the learner is through experience only. In a eager learner algorithm, there are programmed assumptions. So the lazy learner can only function with assumptions created through trial based learning but the eager learner accepts formulaic assumptions given by the programmer. The LL learns more slowly, but is more likely to be accurate in its adaptation to its environment. The EL is only as accurate as its programs.

So, RMN might be on to something?
I like this. When I was young I was more of the EL and accepted formulaic assumptions given by my religious programmers. It was through trial based learning that I progressed beyond my early programming and found better algorithms for adapting to life. So this is kind of like a more modern metaphor to describe stages of faith. Maybe if Fowler had come along late enough to have skills across more disciplines the move from three to later stages could be described this way.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:23 am

Thoughtful wrote:
I believe "lazy learner" is a phrase for an artificial intelligence algorithm. If I understand it correctly, the algorithm requires experience trials to develop. Modification of the learner is through experience only. In a eager learner algorithm, there are programmed assumptions. So the lazy learner can only function with assumptions created through trial based learning but the eager learner accepts formulaic assumptions given by the programmer. The LL learns more slowly, but is more likely to be accurate in its adaptation to its environment. The EL is only as accurate as its programs.

This is an interesting twist on RMN's words.

The current leadership is executing a scorched earth strategy in maintaining membership. As Reuben pointed out in the conference thread, the audience for the "lazy learners" comment was not us. It was intended for the currently active membership. It allows them to feel superior as they refuse to read or listen to anything that might threaten their worldview. Of course, family relationships will be more difficult. Friendships will be damaged. Lives will be ruined (a little reverse TSM). The current leadership does not care as long as they can get the current members more committed to spending time and resources on church activity and less aware of the problems behind the church's claims.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:01 pm

blazerb wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:23 am
Thoughtful wrote:

This is an interesting twist on RMN's words.

The current leadership is executing a scorched earth strategy in maintaining membership. As Reuben pointed out in the conference thread, the audience for the "lazy learners" comment was not us. It was intended for the currently active membership. It allows them to feel superior as they refuse to read or listen to anything that might threaten their worldview. Of course, family relationships will be more difficult. Friendships will be damaged. Lives will be ruined (a little reverse TSM). The current leadership does not care as long as they can get the current members more committed to spending time and resources on church activity and less aware of the problems behind the church's claims.
Yes, a twist, but per Mormonism and JS heritage, it's also probably more of the usual "here's a phrase that means something but we are going to take it, make it mean what we say and use it for an entirely different purpose. Then we can sound smart, like Plankton on Spongebob." :lol:

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:24 pm

blazerb wrote:
The current leadership is executing a scorched earth strategy in maintaining membership.
That would help to explain the current uptick in excommunications. Whittling the membership down to a manageable one million of the most obedient...
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:44 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:24 pm
blazerb wrote:
The current leadership is executing a scorched earth strategy in maintaining membership.
That would help to explain the current uptick in excommunications. Whittling the membership down to a manageable one million of the most obedient...
I believe 144,000 is the goal. You could easily make an argument that the last days whittling process is God's way of reaching the special number given in Revelation. The rest of us were just here for a while to pay into the Ensign portfolio so there would be plenty of cash to finance the ultimate, streamlined church. The ramping up of temple construction in light of lagging growth can also be explained. If you project current trajectories far enough out, you will have a church in which every member has their own temple, just about the time Jesus comes. Of course, they'll have to scrub the toilets themselves.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat May 01, 2021 12:59 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:44 pm
Of course, they'll have to scrub the toilets themselves.
If they stick to using the ones with the nicest gold fixtures that could simplify their needed cleaning.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sat May 01, 2021 6:14 pm

dogbite wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:21 pm
I got 15/15. I did have to ponder a few more closely to figure out how they were breaking down the differences.
:lol: me too.