Do Utah alcohol laws put it below the average?

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
RubinHighlander

Do Utah alcohol laws put it below the average?

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:53 pm

First off, this KSL news article shows the blatant disregard of the separation of Church and State that Utah continually suffers from. Thanks Captain Obvious!

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=42978941&nid=1 ... iquor-laws

Looks like Jeff from Layton is recommending getting rid of the Zion Curtain in eating establishments where minors are now protected from seeing the filling of beer glasses or mixing of strong drinks. What the article does not cover is which laws are being strengthened.

So this statement made me say "hmmmm."
"The benefits of Utah's alcohol laws — which have served Utah well for decades — are often overlooked. Utah has been well below the national average in devastating alcohol-related societal costs like underage drinking, alcohol-related traffic deaths and binge drinking."
So, is Utah's lower incident of alcohol related bad things attributed to it's creative and more restrictive liquor laws or is it because the dominant religion in the state strictly enforces the WoW through it's indoctrination? In other words, most of the population follows the rules of it's corporate leaders, so they could care less what happens in a bar, as most don't hang out there and they don't shop at liquor stores. Thanks for saving us: LDS church influence over Utah legislation for social protection.

If it's silly to think it's more offensive to see liquids poured into glasses at a restaurant, it being somehow more detrimental to youth and kids than walking down the beer isle at the grocery story, then they at least solved that one for our pretty great state.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Korihor

Re: Do Utah alcohol laws put it below the average?

Post by Korihor » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Sounds like alternative correlation.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

well wandered

Post by well wandered » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:56 am

What are the devastating societal costs of binge drinking?

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:12 am

well wandered wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:56 am
Whatever Mr. Hawkins wants to make up.

He does work for the Corporation of the President™. They invented the term "Carefully Worded Denials™ ", I'm sure they wish they had invented the "Alternative Facts" term also.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:52 am

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:12 am
He does work for the Corporation of the President™. They invented the term "Carefully Worded Denials™ ", I'm sure they wish they had invented the "Alternative Facts" term also.
Think of it this way: this is actually evidence of the prophetic powers of Tom Monson and his predecessors. Since last year we have had the rise of "alternative facts" and "fake news stories". Mormons already have several decades of expertise in "carefully worded denials" so the LDS church finds its place as a star in the pantheon of the "differently truthed" and "situational decision making". Prophets, seers, and revelators are finally ahead of the curve in this latest social trend. They may have been painfully old school on civil rights, Mesoamerican history, dietary restrictions, and marriage practices, but now they can be at the forefront of American propaganda and spin!

well wandered

Post by well wandered » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:08 am

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:12 am
well wandered wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:56 am
Whatever Mr. Hawkins wants to make up.

He does work for the Corporation of the President™.
Agreed.

I loved the way he just kind of, you know, casually sneaks that one in there at the end. This is a newspaper- but hopefully no one will notice.

Rule of three's when you only have two examples.