Pray for Rain in Utah

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Pray for Rain in Utah

Post by 2bizE » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:33 am

Utah Governor Cox has requested Utahans pray for rain this weekend. A few of the media stories:
https://www.ksl.com/article/50179221/co ... strictions

https://kutv.com/news/local/some-commen ... n-campaign

Thoughts: I’m not sure prayer is the solution. Each year, many new people move into or are born into Utah. The population is only increasing. Need I remind folks that Utah is primarily desert. I think the desert trend has been going for 10,000 years since it used to be more tropical wetland and then the great big lake Bonneville dried up.
I don’t think the solution is rain. Perhaps we should start moving to Alaska or somewhere less desert???
~2bizE

stuck

Re: Pray for Rain in Utah

Post by stuck » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:49 am

I guess prayer doesn't hurt in the short term, but like 2Bize said we probably need a long term solution. Besides isn't this like Pres. Nelson's idea to fast and pray the virus away? Maybe tap into more well water?

alas

Post by alas » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:41 am

stuck wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:49 am
I guess prayer doesn't hurt in the short term, but like 2Bize said we probably need a long term solution. Besides isn't this like Pres. Nelson's idea to fast and pray the virus away? Maybe tap into more well water?
We are snow birds and both places we live are really growing. New houses pop up like mushrooms. And both places, there is a horrible lack of planning for water. Up north, we live off of wells and a new subdivision wants to dig a well for the same underground water that is already close to max extraction. But of course, the planning committee gave them the go ahead. Down south, um Mojave desert but the local idiots think the state will give them a giant pipe line from Lake Powell, wahahahaha. After all, lake Powell has more than enough water, right?

My parents had a well in Provo, and it was running dry, so they had to hook onto city water 20 years ago. The ground water is even more limited than the rainfall water, and praying won’t help that.

The only solution is water conservation and restrictions on new building. But growth adds to the tax base, so the idiots at city planning encourage growth even if it is going to cause great harm in the long run. Places with limited water are simply going to have to start restricting growth to keep it within the water supply, not assume that God or the government will make up for their lack of planning.

God helps them what help themselves. God is not Santa Clause or Mama who comes along and fixes human caused messes. I am sure God is up there smacking his forehead and saying, “where do they think the water is coming from as they continue to burn fossil fuel and heat up the earth? Stupid humans!” Maybe he will have a good laugh at Utah’s stupid governor.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:03 pm

Done
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:25 pm

Who could have foreseen the effects of global warming?

Oh moisture, oh moisture
We beseech thee
Shower us with thy moisture
Ramen
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:54 pm

2bizE wrote:Utah Governor Cox has requested Utahans pray for rain this weekend. A few of the media stories:
https://www.ksl.com/article/50179221/co ... strictions

https://kutv.com/news/local/some-commen ... n-campaign

Thoughts: I’m not sure prayer is the solution. Each year, many new people move into or are born into Utah. The population is only increasing. Need I remind folks that Utah is primarily desert. I think the desert trend has been going for 10,000 years since it used to be more tropical wetland and then the great big lake Bonneville dried up.
I don’t think the solution is rain. Perhaps we should start moving to Alaska or somewhere less desert???
I have watched the mega homes go up for years above my relatively small home in bountiful. They tear up the hillside and erect castles to their glory. We could save some water by restricting the footprint on new homes. But ultimately serious conservation and managed growth is all that will save us.

Zero scape yards is a good idea. Before we start with water allotments for homes.

But I agree we live in a desert. We should act like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:45 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:03 pm
Done
Hold up. Exactly whom did you pray to? Was it the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:10 am

Corsair wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:45 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Done
I thought it was Red Ryder answering the prayers.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:36 am

Reuben wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:10 am
Corsair wrote:
Red Ryder wrote:
Done
Ha! Seems the veil has parted a bit and you’ve seen behind the curtain?

Now go and get Eve to put on her rain coat and partake of the Chuck-o-rama buffet!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:37 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:36 am
Reuben wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:10 am
Corsair wrote:

Ha! Seems the veil has parted a bit and you’ve seen behind the curtain?

Now go and get Eve to put on her rain coat and partake of the Chuck-o-rama buffet!
Done! But was Costavida takeout, blessed with Utah medical flower a worthy enough tribute?
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:20 pm

https://www.rawstory.com/louie-gohmert-climate-change/
Rep. Louis Gohmert R-Texas wrote:"... and so, is there anything that the National Forest Service or [Bureau of Land Management] can do to change the course of the moon's orbit or the Earth's orbit around the sun? Obviously, that would have profound effects on our climate."
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:52 pm

I like the way Cox defined people as either being supportive of LGBTQ rights OR believing in God. It really reveals the Mormon thinking under the hood. There must always be good guys and bad guys.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:12 pm

I actually saw a miniscule amount or raindrops hit the pavement where I was on Saturday the 5th of June somewhere in Utah.

Did the Gov. specify how much rain folks were supposed to pray for? Elohim followed through where I was with "some" rain. I'm don't think it was enough for the believers in my vicinity to have their confirmation bias kick in and declare "Prayer Have Been Answered!" Even though it did rain.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...