Outward sign of an inward commitment?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Outward sign of an inward commitment?

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:41 pm

Is there really a fundamental difference between this religious clothing and Mormon garments? Other than both Mormon men and women wearing them and under their clothes? An outward sign of religious obedience?

Obviously this image enrages everyone who believes these women don’t have a choice. But do Mormons really have a choice if they fully believe in the temple endowment and obedience to their covenants?

I see it as the same, just a difference in appearance but fundamentally the same concept.

For context:

Women sitting in an info gathering held by the Taliban in a teacher training faculty.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

nibbler

Re: Outward sign of an inward commitment?

Post by nibbler » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:16 am

Weren't Pharisees all about outward signs of inward commitments. Specifically so they could measure (judge) people's inward commitments?
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:10 am

Here's what I want to see from Mr. Nelson next week in conference. Let 'em know what it means to follow the prophet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukr3Y3unFhg
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:19 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:10 am
Here's what I want to see from Mr. Nelson next week in conference. Let 'em know what it means to follow the prophet:
Ha! On the outside... so we can check! :lol:

Here’s another outward expression of an inward commitment courtesy of Pat Bagley!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:13 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:19 am

Here’s another outward expression of an inward commitment courtesy of Pat Bagley!
Yeah, that's a good one. I used it simultaneously in another thread.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

stuck

Post by stuck » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:41 pm

https://www.brooklynunpluggedtours.com/ ... s-orthodox

Here's a link that explains why orthodox Jews wear hats and curly locks. Along with the Taliban women, these are definitely more outward signs than the garments--I guess you could even say that women in polygamous groups are more outward by wearing dresses all the time.

Is there a solution? I guess there are a lot of Jews who are non-religious or secular who no longer wear hats. There are a lot of Mormons who are ex or inactive who do not wear garments anymore. Some of us have to "go along to get along" however :( Hopefully one day we can stop right? It would be nice if the church made them optional--or maybe for when people attend the temple?

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:46 pm

Red Ryder, with your permission, I'm going to use the theme of your OP and photo for my blog post on Wheat&Tares. I post there as Bishop Bill

hmb

Post by hmb » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:44 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Hagoth wrote:
Normal undies on the outside would be ugly enough. Can you imagine garments on the outside? Ugh.

I still check for those garment lines under a TBM's clothes. I don't know why. Looking for clues to a form of NOMness perhaps. Maybe there is something wrong with me. That's probably it :lol: .

alas

Post by alas » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:12 am

hmb wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:44 am
Red Ryder wrote:
Hagoth wrote:
Normal undies on the outside would be ugly enough. Can you imagine garments on the outside? Ugh.

I still check for those garment lines under a TBM's clothes. I don't know why. Looking for clues to a form of NOMness perhaps. Maybe there is something wrong with me. That's probably it :lol: .
My dad used to say that his grandfather (1850-1870ish) used to wear his garments outside of his other clothing to let the local Indians know he was Mormon so they didn’t shoot him first and ask questions later. The Mormons were friendly (but still taking over their land) to the local tribes and fed then (after grazing cattle on the deer habitat so there was no longer enough game)

I have no idea of the truth of this Mormon folklore, so don’t argue with me about if it really happened. All I know is what he said and he was nEvER one to stretch the truth [sarcasm off]

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:55 am

A New Name wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:46 pm
Red Ryder, with your permission, I'm going to use the theme of your OP and photo for my blog post on Wheat&Tares. I post there as Bishop Bill
Of course. Nothing out of my brain is original so blog away! I look forward to reading your posts over there.