Pep talk or Prophecy?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

Pep talk or Prophecy?

Post by deacon blues » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:24 am

It seems certain that sometime during the dangerous days of 1838 in Far West, Missouri, Joseph Smith used definite phrases like "angels will be fighting with us" and/or "one Saint will put a thousand Missourians to flight." We can read in D&C 84 that Joseph did say a temple would be built in Jackson County "in this generation." I have heard it said by an apologist that D&C 84, and similar statements were not prophesying, but merely announcing a goal. :shock:
I'm wondering if Joseph Smith used these kind of phrases as motivation, like like a football coach would use hyperbole in a pep talk at halftime. Of course Joseph should have known that many, perhaps most of his followers would interpret his "pep talks" as prophecy. After all he purported himself to be a prophet. :?
Nowadays a prophet can promise vague, indefinite blessings to his followers who support his admonitions to use a particular name for the Church, but to me, it could be also dismissed as a pep talk- no harm done, right? :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

MoPag

Re: Pep talk or Prophecy?

Post by MoPag » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:58 pm

Great. Now we have to figure out if he's speaking as a prophet or a man AND also if it's a prophecy or a goal. :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:55 pm

I remember McConkie's explanation of the prophecy. There was probably a young couple with a new baby, maybe the husband was only 16 or 17. Then, when he was much older he took a young polygamous wife. This marriage might have had a child in the 20 century. That child could live well into the 21st century.

I feel pretty confident that this scenario is no longer a possibility. JS said things to keep his followers excited about following him. The current leadership tries to ignore it. They say things to guilt people into following them. Both strategies are nonsense.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:09 pm

blazerb wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:55 pm
JS said things to keep his followers excited about following him. The current leadership tries to ignore it. They say things to guilt people into following them. Both strategies are corrupt.
Ohhh.....there.....that feels much better.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:46 am

Palerider wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:09 pm
blazerb wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:55 pm
JS said things to keep his followers excited about following him. The current leadership tries to ignore it. They say things to guilt people into following them. Both strategies are corrupt.
Ohhh.....there.....that feels much better.
Oh yeah.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:17 pm

MoPag wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:58 pm
Great. Now we have to figure out if he's speaking as a prophet or a man AND also if it's a prophecy or a goal. :lol:
Yeah, I tend to muddy the waters, rather than clarify things. :?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:38 am

There are no clear waters in Mormonism
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:53 am

2bizE wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:38 am
There are no clear waters in Mormonism
That's why it's so easy to throw the baby out with the bath water. The water's so murky you can't tell if there's even a baby in there.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."