TK Smoothie

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Lloyd Christmas

TK Smoothie

Post by Lloyd Christmas » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:52 am

I remember in Seminary and Institute a couple of teachers talking about being "smoothed over" like a Ken or Barbie doll as a method to scare us about the ramifications of going to anything other than the Celestial Kingdom. As the premise, they used the quote from Joseph Fielding Smith:

"In both of these kingdoms there will be changes in the bodies and limitations. Some of the functions in the celestial body will not appear in the terrestrial body, neither in the telestial body, and the power of procreation will be removed. I take it that men and women will, in these kingdoms, be...neither man nor woman, merely immortal beings having received the resurrection."

It always seemed odd to me that they teach our bodies will be better than our current mortal bodies in the resurrection, but we wouldn't have our private parts, or things wouldn't function.

I'm curious what you all were taught growing up? Did you get the same lessons in Seminary/Institute? Are they still teaching this? Or have they walked away from this, like so many other things?

When I'm talking to a particularly inquisitive non member, who has Mormon friends, I love bringing this discussion up.

"Ask them about TK Smoothies" I say.

moksha

Re: TK Smoothie

Post by moksha » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:41 am

I can't remember hearing that as a teen, perhaps because it sounds simultaneously alien and cultish. It has the unrestrained quality of something made up out of malice. The discussions that came about after Sunday dinners of the Fielding Smiths-McConkies must have been frightening at times.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:10 am

I remember being taught that. Just about everything I was taught about the afterlife seemed weird and uninviting, even in the CK. I remember a teacher reading scriptures about how the earth will be made smooth, the mountains will be lowered and the valleys raised and the entire planet will become a smooth ball of glass - one gigantic Urim and Thummim. And that was supposed to be an improvement over nature. I also have no use for streets paved with gold.

I also remember JFS saying that the earth will leave its orbit around the sun and physically travel through space to the vicinity of Kolob so it can absorb the local celestialness of the region. After all, the BoA says that things in the center of the universe, near God/Kolob, are eternal because they revolve more slowly. Makes sense.

Anyway, that left me wondering what happens to the Terresties and Telesties when the earth moves out from under their feet to go in search of its new neighborhood where they aren't welcome. I guess the Terrestrials could go to the moon, which supposedly is their glory. Would they change their name to Lunestials, since their terrestrial home has abandoned them? The Telestials are supposed to have the glory of stars. But which star? Sirius is 25 times brighter than the sun. I guess they go to a red dwarf?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:14 am

Utah’s fastest growing Franchise of the Year!

Franchise magazine’s editor, Emower exclaims “ Equal parts shame, regret, and frothed milk.”

5 Stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:07 pm

You know, there's an episode of Black Mirror about the Telestial Kingdom (warning - naughty language):

https://youtu.be/PgsZBcCl5Vs?t=44
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:37 pm

I knew nothing of the term TK Smoothie, or the Barbie & Ken narrative preached by JFS until I accidentally peeked behind the LD$-Inc. curtain and discovered the truth.

I did "know" of the teachings of procreation only in the highest levels of the Celestial Kingdom, but like Hagoth, no version of the MORmON afterlife ever really appealed to me. I mean... Do I have to wear a goofy bakers hat and an apron for eternity??? I'm allergic to fake green silk, those baker's hats cut off circulation to one's brain, and those "eternity mirrors" are just creepy. :lol:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

hmb

Post by hmb » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:49 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:14 am
Utah’s fastest growing Franchise of the Year!

Franchise magazine’s editor, Emower exclaims “ Equal parts shame, regret, and frothed milk.”

5 Stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Where would you put the straw??

hmb

Post by hmb » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:54 am

I remember hearing about the smoothed over, missing parts. I don't remember if it was something taught, or just speculation. I do remember being taught that our bodies would be as they are now, but perfect. Those not exalted would have all parts, but reproductive parts would be nonfunctional. So that means petrified posts and empty, echo chambers.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:12 am

hmb wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:49 am
Where would you put the straw??
HA! Good point…
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg