New Year’s resolutions?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

New Year’s resolutions?

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:31 pm

With the year 2021 soon coming to a close, it’s time to review the past year progress and make new goals.

Past year progress

Attended the LDS church 5 or 6 times this past year. While that’s still 5-6 times too many, it’s progress. I’ve attended for a few missionary farewell’s and a time or two when TBM parents have been in town.

Successfully recycled all 12 monthly issues of the church magazines. Straight from the mailbox to the recycle can without Sister Ryder asking “have we received the Ensign this month?” Could be a symptom of looking everything up online. Now to get my dear mother to stop subscribing to it on our behalf.

Goals for next year

See if I can make half of her garments disappear without questioning. Kidding… it’s her funny underwear. If she wants to wear it so be it.

Dump 200lbs of wheat from food storage dated 1998. Too bad it’s not a wine collection.

Start a wine collection

Exercise more. Losing faith in Mormonism seems to have sparked the realization that this life is all we have. Take care of our health, find new hobbies, and spend more time with great friends and family will be a 2022 goal for sure.

Hopefully 2022 will bring less COVID, less church, and less crazy then 2021. Here’s to hope!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Re: New Year’s resolutions?

Post by wtfluff » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:28 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:31 pm
Past year progress
Now to get my dear mother to stop subscribing to it on our behalf.
You too eh? If you figure out how to do this without breaking Mum's heart let me know, I'd like to figure out how to do the same with my elderly relative.

Red Ryder wrote:
Goals for next year
Dump 200lbs of wheat from food storage dated 1998. Too bad it’s not a wine collection.
You know... Wheat can be used in addition to barley for making "mild barley drinks."

Just sayin'. :ugeek:

(Yeah, I know; It's probably too old...)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:47 am

Red Ryder wrote:
We have a neighbor who drops off her Liahona every month after she's fully absorbed it. Don't people realize we could read it on the internet if we actually wanted to?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

alas

Post by alas » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:40 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:28 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Past year progress
You too eh? If you figure out how to do this without breaking Mum's heart let me know, I'd like to figure out how to do the same with my elderly relative.

Red Ryder wrote:
Goals for next year
You know... Wheat can be used in addition to barley for making "mild barley drinks."

Just sayin'. :ugeek:

(Yeah, I know; It's probably too old...)
No, wheat keeps real well. All it loses over 100 years is a few vitamins and once you ferment it, that wouldn’t matter.

Or put it in brand new containers and give it to TBM mother for Christmas. She’ll never know it is old, because wheat does keep really well, and the containers say 2021

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:08 am

I think it's time to ditch the wheat grinder. I got rid of the wheat years ago, but for some reason, the grinder is still taking up space in my basement. Also the giant canner and equipment. Those are past me, and it's time to let them go.

hallew

Post by hallew » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:40 pm

Since I finally organized the food storage to fit in our pantry about 2 months ago it's staying right there--was a real pain.

Physical goal -- being healthy is always on the list. I really like my fitbit. I lost over 20 lbs over a year ago using it. I plan on losing about 5-7 more pounds and reassessing fitness goals.

Mental goal -- continuing to set healthy boundaries in all of life's aspects (especially church and family).

Spiritual goal -- focusing on studying women in religion. I read a quote about Christ being a defender of women and want to explore this theme.

Educational/Career goal -- apply for grad school (after 11 years debating what to do) in January for Fall semester. I will be working on becoming a licensed clinical social worker specializing in marriage and family therapy.

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:55 pm

My new years resolutions To keep my boundaries in place and continue to keep trying to get my wife to see the tscc for what it really is and above all drink more coffee !!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:08 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
See if I can make half of her garments disappear without questioning.
Just surreptitiously trim 1/8 inch off them every week.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:10 pm

My New Years resolution is the same as every other year: lose 20 pounds by July 4th, gain it back by the following New Year.

hmb

Post by hmb » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:41 am

Dropping all, but one, streaming subscription. I have dropped most streaming subscriptions already, but must choose only one to keep. Streaming is out of control. So I'm back to paper books and CDs. Netflix is crappier by the month, I don't know which subscription I should choose because they are all so-so. Monthly payments for mediocrity/crap is out. I miss the days of owning what you pay for.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:30 am

hmb wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:41 am
Dropping all, but one, streaming subscription. I have dropped most streaming subscriptions already, but must choose only one to keep. Streaming is out of control. So I'm back to paper books and CDs. Netflix is crappier by the month, I don't know which subscription I should choose because they are all so-so. Monthly payments for mediocrity/crap is out. I miss the days of owning what you pay for.
I agree with this. It seems we are full circle back to cable. 100 streaming shows and nothing is on. Clicking through all the previews feels a lot like wandering the isles of Blockbuster. But only while laying around in your underwear in bed.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:11 pm

OK, I've resisted long enough. I'll let the Fluffy social reject out and type: I hate New Year's Resolutions. If I feel the need to "set a goal." I see no need to wait until some arbitrary day in January to set that goal. Why do we make such a big deal out of setting goals for the new "year?"

Maybe my hatred of New Year's Resolutions is related to my hatred of "Christmas?"

Come to think of it, I hate pretty much every "Holiday." Holiday after holiday after holiday... The only reason for all these holidays is to spend more money buying more "schtuff" that we don't need.

And there you have it: I have become my parents (in my relationship to holidays.) YIKES! :o
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

alas

Post by alas » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:58 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:11 pm
OK, I've resisted long enough. I'll let the Fluffy social reject out and type: I hate New Year's Resolutions. If I feel the need to "set a goal." I see no need to wait until some arbitrary day in January to set that goal. Why do we make such a big deal out of setting goals for the new "year?"

Maybe my hatred of New Year's Resolutions is related to my hatred of "Christmas?"

Come to think of it, I hate pretty much every "Holiday." Holiday after holiday after holiday... The only reason for all these holidays is to spend more money buying more "schtuff" that we don't need.

And there you have it: I have become my parents (in my relationship to holidays.) YIKES! :o
I am glad you said this, as I am a fellow hater of New Years resolutions and the commercialization of all the holidays. That is why unrepentant Grinch and Scrooge are two of my favorite people. At least in Grinch, he learns that perhaps Christmas doesn’t come from a store. But the first thing Scrooge does on Christmas is run out and buy stuff then he shows up with gifts at his nephews party. And now even Halloween is an excuse to buy buy buy. Yuck.

hmb

Post by hmb » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:38 am

alas wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:58 pm

I am glad you said this, as I am a fellow hater of New Years resolutions and the commercialization of all the holidays. That is why unrepentant Grinch and Scrooge are two of my favorite people. At least in Grinch, he learns that perhaps Christmas doesn’t come from a store. But the first thing Scrooge does on Christmas is run out and buy stuff then he shows up with gifts at his nephews party. And now even Halloween is an excuse to buy buy buy. Yuck.
I only dislike the NY resolution thing, because it's bogus for most people. I like the idea of reflection about making improvements, I'm just too lazy to follow through.

I told my husband that I want nothing for Christmas. We have so much junk and I really want to minimize the crap we have. I told him if he really wanted to do something nice for Christmas, help me be motivated to get rid of stuff. I want to own only what I actually use. He disagrees and thinks you should have a lot of presents to open :roll: . He's going to be disappointed when his pile of stuff is small and practical. I warned him.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:15 pm

I’d like to learn how to make Desert Tan whiskey this year. I will need about 200 pounds of wheat. Anyone know where I can get some?
~2bizE