Where was John the beloved buried? Or was he not buried?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Re: Where was John the beloved buried? Or was he not buried?

Post by moksha » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:03 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:23 am
That's an interesting question. I don't even know where Joseph Smith is buried. I'm surprised it's not a pilgrimage site at least on par with Elvis' grave.
Brigham Young's gravesite has been made into a pretty mini-park. Not sure how many wives are buried there.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:12 pm

Hagoth wrote:
That's an interesting question. I don't even know where Joseph Smith is buried. I'm surprised it's not a pilgrimage site at least on par with Elvis' grave.
He's buried in Nauvoo. The church may not want to call attention to it since it is a family plot and is owned by the CoC. If I remember correctly, a few of their other prophets are buried in the same area.

Phil Lurkerman

Post by Phil Lurkerman » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:25 pm

The Smith Family Cemetery, in Nauvoo, Illinois, is the burial place of Joseph Smith, his wife Emma, and brother Hyrum. Joseph Smith's parents Joseph Smith Sr. and Lucy Mack Smith are also buried there,[1] as are Joseph Smith's brothers Samuel and Don Carlos. Others buried there include Robert B. Thompson and Emma Smith's second husband Lewis C. Bidamon.

Overlooking the Mississippi River, the cemetery is located on Water Street, and is open 24 hours a day to visitors. The site is owned and maintained by the Community of Christ.

In 1991, the cemetery was renovated and dedicated by two members of the Smith family: M. Russell Ballard, an apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Wallace B. Smith, prophet-president of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.[2] (Ballard is a descendant of Hyrum Smith and Wallace B. Smith is a descendant of Joseph Smith.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_Family_Cemetery

Hmm. I’d never thought about where JS was buried. Interesting.
I was once a cafeteria Mormon on a hunger strike. Have since found a buffet elsewhere.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:16 am

Lurkerman, good to see you.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:07 pm

Phil Lurkerman wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:25 pm
The Smith Family Cemetery, in Nauvoo, Illinois, is the burial place of Joseph Smith, his wife Emma, and brother Hyrum. Joseph Smith's parents Joseph Smith Sr. and Lucy Mack Smith are also buried there,[1] as are Joseph Smith's brothers Samuel and Don Carlos. Others buried there include Robert B. Thompson and Emma Smith's second husband Lewis C. Bidamon.

Overlooking the Mississippi River, the cemetery is located on Water Street, and is open 24 hours a day to visitors. The site is owned and maintained by the Community of Christ.

In 1991, the cemetery was renovated and dedicated by two members of the Smith family: M. Russell Ballard, an apostle of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Wallace B. Smith, prophet-president of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.[2] (Ballard is a descendant of Hyrum Smith and Wallace B. Smith is a descendant of Joseph Smith.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_Family_Cemetery

Hmm. I’d never thought about where JS was buried. Interesting.
Maybe we should start a new holiday were polygamists from all over the world gather at Joseph's grave to sing praises and wave flaming swords.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Phil Lurkerman

Post by Phil Lurkerman » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:32 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:16 am
Lurkerman, good to see you.
Thx! Still lurking after all these many years. Tough to completely let go of the board that led me to sanity back in the day.
I was once a cafeteria Mormon on a hunger strike. Have since found a buffet elsewhere.

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:48 am

blazerb wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:12 pm
Hagoth wrote:
He's buried in Nauvoo. The church may not want to call attention to it since it is a family plot and is owned by the CoC. If I remember correctly, a few of their other prophets are buried in the same area.
That's correct. I've been there several times. He is buried between Emma and Hyrum if memory serves. In my more orthodox days, I actually wanted to be buried in Nauvoo as well.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:01 am

stealthbishop wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:48 am
blazerb wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:12 pm
Hagoth wrote:
That's correct. I've been there several times. He is buried between Emma and Hyrum if memory serves. In my more orthodox days, I actually wanted to be buried in Nauvoo as well.
Maybe you could be buried between the Partridge Sisters. Of course it would be a secret second burial. Your wife wouldn't know about the first.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:08 am

I think he was buried right next to Elvis….wait… Elvis isn’t dead either. Maybe John and Elvis are roaming the world together?
~2bizE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:41 pm

Hagoth wrote:
wtfluff wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:24 pm
Another bit of a thread-jack...

Do folks who are believers in the "restoration-ist" movement put much credence in "where" some "famous prophet" like John the beloved might be buried?

I understand Catholics with their sainthood-type-stuff "caring" about such things, but MORmONs?
For the record, Joseph and Hyrum Smith are buried in the Smith family grave site in Nauvoo, Illinois where you can visit today. It's on the south end of town by the water. The surprise to most visiting Mormons is that the land and adjacent homes are owned by the Community of Christ who are quite gracious and open about visitors of various LDS denominations. My TBM family was confused and slightly annoyed to find this "Lewis Bidamon guy" who was buried nearby and who lived in the house adjacent to the grave site. This is across the street from Joseph's Mansion house and a lot or two east of the Red Brick Store which are both also owned by Community of Christ. You can thank Emma Smith-Bidamon and Joseph Smith III for that arrangement.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:13 am

deacon blues wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:45 am
My TBM sister and her husband are traveling in Turkey this week, Ephesus in particular. They visited famous Saint John's Basilica, where legend has it, John the beloved and/or the apostle was buried. Of course TBM's know that John was never buried but was translated, as D&C 7 explains.
I've got it! John was buried alive, and is still trapped underground in Ephesus. Let's start a campaign to get him out!