Under the Banner of Heaven TV show

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Spicy McHaggis

Under the Banner of Heaven TV show

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:49 am

Jon Krakauer's book is being made into a TV show on Hulu. The trailer looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDRqWtwbiSM

Yobispo

Re: Under the Banner of Heaven TV show

Post by Yobispo » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:37 am

I am quite surprised by the temple garb being shown in the trailer. Of course, temple oaths are important context for blood atonement so I'm glad it looks like they're trying to be accurate. I just can't believe that the LDS church didn't successfully throw the kitchen sink at this production to get sensitive things removed.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:45 am

Lindsey Hansen Park posted an overview/explanation with her role on the show which is worth a read:

https://www.facebook.com/lindsay.park.7 ... 9058905915

Sounds like they really were trying not to make this a show that twisted the knife in Mormonism although I'm anticipating that the final product is going to really anger believers especially if they're showing temple stuff.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:35 pm

Rumor has it that LD$-Inc. is in the process of producing a new, informative movie about the temple ceremony that shows the clothing and lots of other stuff that us old folks were told to keep secret. (Though I highly doubt it will mention all that gruesome "fun stuff" that us pre-1990 folks got to participate in.)

Maybe it's damage control to get in front of Under the Banner of Heaven.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:11 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:35 pm
Rumor has it that LD$-Inc. is in the process of producing a new, informative movie about the temple ceremony that shows the clothing and lots of other stuff that us old folks were told to keep secret. (Though I highly doubt it will mention all that gruesome "fun stuff" that us pre-1990 folks got to participate in.)

Where are you hearing these rumors?

The church could just remind viewers that this is the FLDS church and not THe Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:28 pm

The church could just remind viewers that this is the FLDS church and not THe Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
It's been quite a while since I read the book but, if my memory is correct, part of the book covered FLDS and part of it was about the Laferty murders & they were part of the "normal" mormon church. It could be that the temple part in the video is the SLC branch of mormonism.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:36 pm

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:28 pm
It's been quite a while since I read the book but, if my memory is correct, part of the book covered FLDS and part of it was about the Laferty murders & they were part of the "normal" mormon church. It could be that the temple part in the video is the SLC branch of mormonism.
Yes, I was being sarcastic and an amateur LDS PR intern.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:52 pm

I'm reminded of the song: "We don't talk about Bruno." In Mainstream LDS it's: "We don't talk about FLDS." Especially in front of potential converts. :o
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:09 pm

I think this is going to get a lot of attention because Andrew Garfield is really riding a huge popularity wave right now. Looking forward to it!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:27 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:11 pm
wtfluff wrote:

Where are you hearing these rumors?
Some other inter-web site that might have the word red in it's name.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:15 am

wtfluff wrote:

Well that would show more PR savvy than the Church usually has. Usually they are still trying to defuse a bomb that has already gone off, trying to keep temple stuff secret that is available to anybody on the planet with an internet connection.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:50 pm

I saw this billboard on I-15 near downdown SLC today:

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:07 pm

wtfluff wrote:

Don't you love it that the only things that really happen in the church are desperate attempts to try to stay ahead of people learning the truth from other sources?

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:20 pm

The show begins on April 28th at Hulu.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:49 am

Might need to subscribe to Hulu...
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:34 am

Here is my Hulu hack. Every year during Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving) Hulu has a sale. Last year it was $0.99/month for an entire year. The year before it was $1.99/month. I subscribe for a year at the discount, then when it's going up to 5-6/month, I unsubscribe for a year, then get the sale price back the following year. So I don't have it now, but will get it this Thanksgiving, and will watch Under the Banner of Heaven then (and all the other new shows that have dropped over the year.)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:12 pm

A New Name wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:34 am
Here is my Hulu hack. Every year during Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving) Hulu has a sale. Last year it was $0.99/month for an entire year. The year before it was $1.99/month. I subscribe for a year at the discount, then when it's going up to 5-6/month, I unsubscribe for a year, then get the sale price back the following year. So I don't have it now, but will get it this Thanksgiving, and will watch Under the Banner of Heaven then (and all the other new shows that have dropped over the year.)
That's a good one. Here's my Hulu hack. My niece wanted me to watch a show she likes, so she added me as one of her sub-accounts at no charge to either of us.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:14 am

Did anyone watch the first episodes? I have watched one, and will probably see the 2nd tonight. It didn't exactly blow me away but I think it's going to get very interesting. Church spokespeople, FAIR, and others are already doing damage control and trying to discourage people from watching it. When a church tells you not to watch/read something, that's like a spotlight pointing out exactly what you should watch/read, because their telling you there it truth there that they have not been able to process yet.

I think the thing that will surprise most Mormons, as it did Mrs. Hagoth, is that the Laffertys weren't some fringe polygamist cult living on a compound. They were just another Mormon family down the street.

acmeist

Post by acmeist » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:46 am

I will wait to watch the show after all episodes are released. I read a lot of ex mormon feedback and Jim Bennett's twitter thread about the first two episodes. I was disappointed to read that people said the dialogue and cultural aspects were jarring. However, someone pointed out that there are people who qualify as very fundamentalist in every ward at any point in time. They listed examples, and I thought back to people whom I specifically recall from past wards who fit that definition. So, I think writing it off because it doesn't fit everyone's life experiences is premature. I look forward to seeing future reviews of episodes. I mainly want to show it to my teenager who is fascinated when I share details of things that were normal to me in the church growing up.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:48 am

Sis Ryder and I watched the first episode.

Full disclosure: it was already late when we turned it on and we were tired from a busy day.

The Mormon portrayal comes across a bit cringey but you have to realize they’re developing the characters and the Lafferty's were a bit strange.

The parallel story line flashbacks were hard to follow at first.

Overall, it was ok and we plan to watch all the episodes.

Just not after 11 PM.