OMG - Lafferty Interview

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

OMG - Lafferty Interview

Post by moksha » Sat May 28, 2022 5:20 pm

This is from Radio Free Mormon. A viewer had sent him an interview with Dan Lafferty that Tom Barberi had conducted in 2000. The stuff out of nightmares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLzT7yCGON8
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Re: OMG - Lafferty Interview

Post by Hagoth » Mon May 30, 2022 4:06 pm

I just listened. OMG indeed. The man is definitely a psychopath. Either that or he's Elijah. I have to pray about it. I thought RFM did a great job of paralleling Lafferty's language with that of Nephi when the spirit was guiding him to do a little beheadin'.

Does anyone know if his claim about the excommunications is correct? He says they were excommunicated for disobeying the law for tax evasion and sending back their drivers and marriage licenses, not for doctrinal aberrations.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Mon May 30, 2022 7:30 pm

moksha wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:20 pm
This is from Radio Free Mormon. A viewer had sent him an interview with Dan Lafferty that Tom Barberi had conducted in 2000. The stuff out of nightmares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLzT7yCGON8
Wow....I just listened to this! So cold and absolutely no remorse. I haven't watched the TV series, but I'm reading that many feel it's too bad this interview didn't surface prior to it being made.

I did read the book years ago and it was chilling (I grew up in Utah and was born in American Fork so I remember when this happened).

One thing I have read, is that Ron may have been the one who killed their sister-in-law (and Dan killed the baby). The driver of the get away car testified that's what was said immediately afterwards, but who knows? Dan confessed to both of murders.

I wonder if Dan is still waiting (now another 22 years) for God to get him out of prison???
"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon May 30, 2022 9:07 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 4:06 pm
Does anyone know if his claim about the excommunications is correct? He says they were excommunicated for disobeying the law for tax evasion and sending back their drivers and marriage licenses, not for doctrinal aberrations.
That would be a hoot. People can be excommunicated for pointing out that the main ancestry of Native Americans is North Asian, but not for the desire to polygamate with their own daughter.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:27 pm

Just listened... they way he spoke about it and was even making little jokes here and there... just chilling, I can't get it out of my head the way he talks about killing a mother and her baby like he was just doing some mundane thing.

I'm watching the Hulu series now and I think Wyatt Russell is doing a pretty good job of portraying him.... the way he can explain his justification for doing something horrific like it's just some normal thing.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:46 pm

the references to Nephi killing Laban are chilling. :shock:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:34 pm

The way he describes feeling the spirit driving him toward the murders was creepy.

Glad this interview came to light. Makes me want to go dig out all the cassette tapes I have in a box and see what was recorded. 🤣
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg