Happy Story

Discussions about negotiating relationships between faithful LDS believers and the apostates who love them. This applies in particular to mixed-faith marriages, but relations with children, parents, siblings, friends, and ward members is very welcome.
Linked

Happy Story

Post by Linked » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:04 pm

My TBM mom mentioned that she noticed how one of my sons would reach out and we would hold hands all the time on a recent trip. She said it made her happy to see us bonding and that she thought I was a good dad.

It was a really simple thing to say, but it meant a lot to hear that from my mom. Just love, no judgement or pushing me to be someone I'm not. I'm lucky to have her.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

sparky

Re: Happy Story

Post by sparky » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:34 am

That sounds like a beautiful moment! These family connections and parent-child bonds are very human and natural and wonderful. It's horrible how the church hijacks them and claims sole proprietorship over family ties. It's great that your mom is seeing past the Mormon lens to what is actually there in your relationship with your son.

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:30 pm

Thanks Sparky, it was a nice moment. It's tough when nothing is said and my fears fill in the blanks, so to hear something positive is so reassuring.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:37 pm

Another nice thing happened recently.

I was at a family get together with my side of the family and my parents, siblings, and spouses were all chatting together. My sister mentioned something nice that had happened and phrased it as a "tender mercy" after pausing for a bit to find the right word. I hate that phrase and apparently eyerolled pretty hard :roll:. The conversation stopped and everyone stared at me and a couple people asked me what was wrong, why was I so down on tender mercies?

I explained that I really didn't like that word because from my perspective it is made to make everyday things into miracles which can lead people to incorrect conclusions. My Sis-in-law said "Oh, yeah that bugs [her husband/my brother in the bishopric] too." My sister sincerely asked, "What am I supposed to say instead?" I suggested "something nice" or similar.

Later I was talking to my other sister and she commented that she was impressed with how I respectfully maintain my boundaries while giving others space to feel differently. Then we talked politics :lol:

It was really nice.