Oaks vows BYU will not be part of "the World"

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

Re: Oaks vows BYU will not be part of "the World"

Post by 2bizE » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:47 pm

I chose not to read or listen to this talk. I can’t stand Oaks. I am trying to get him out of my mind completely.
~2bizE

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:34 pm

I know 2 BYU professors who were terminated in the last couple of weeks, both were getting ready to teach their classes when they were called in. I know one very well and the other just a little bit. I can't get into specifics, but what is clear to me is that they are cleaning house of any prof's who are closeted non-believers or LGBT allies. We've seen it in the public changes to the BYU Prof contract, including the affirmation that you believe the church's teachings about family (ie. no gayz) as well as the surrender of privacy with their own bishops. And now they're enforcing those standards.

Another comment here was that it will become more like BYU-I, I think it is already happening. Young folks who aren't uberTBM don't want BYU on their resume, so they'll find another school. The current parent generation is less militant about BYU attendance (partly over issues like the social issues, partly due to many of us waking up to church history). Maybe the reason for the dragon hoard all along was that they are biding their time until they lose the Federal Funds. Remember that Ricks still has a big empty football stadium, they could do the same down in Provo.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:56 pm

Can someone explain the “become more like BYU-I” comment that keeps appearing?

Does that mean a “ second class junior college” or non sophisticated college of barely higher education?

I went to Ricks College back in the day and that’s how Ricks was perceived. I thought renaming and building out to a four year university sort of built up BYU-I. But it sounds like it’s still considered sub par to BYU Provo.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:18 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:56 pm
Can someone explain the “become more like BYU-I” comment that keeps appearing?
I think students at BYU entering science classes will receive the same warning as BYU-I students, "You are not required to believe any of this stuff". Tough questions asked by students will be forwarded to both the religion department and the Honors Committee. Paralegals teaching at the BYU-I department of religion have been known to come down harshly on any student mentioning the Laws of Thermodynamics since they insist that does not apply to the Brethren.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:31 am

Yobispo wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:34 pm
I know 2 BYU professors who were terminated in the last couple of weeks, both were getting ready to teach their classes when they were called in. I know one very well and the other just a little bit. I can't get into specifics, but what is clear to me is that they are cleaning house of any prof's who are closeted non-believers or LGBT allies. We've seen it in the public changes to the BYU Prof contract, including the affirmation that you believe the church's teachings about family (ie. no gayz) as well as the surrender of privacy with their own bishops. And now they're enforcing those standards.

Another comment here was that it will become more like BYU-I, I think it is already happening. Young folks who aren't uberTBM don't want BYU on their resume, so they'll find another school. The current parent generation is less militant about BYU attendance (partly over issues like the social issues, partly due to many of us waking up to church history). Maybe the reason for the dragon hoard all along was that they are biding their time until they lose the Federal Funds. Remember that Ricks still has a big empty football stadium, they could do the same down in Provo.
I am sad about this. Even though I have stepped away mostly from the church it is sad for me to see the further decline of BYU. What a waste.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode