Young Adult Sacrament Meeting Talk

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

Young Adult Sacrament Meeting Talk

Post by Linked » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:08 pm

We had a young man speak in SM yesterday who was returning from a stint in the singles ward. He started with a joke about how many more empty seats there were than the last time he spoke a few years ago. It got a chuckle. Then he said, "no, seriously, where did everybody go?" and mentioned it like 3 more times. It was pretty hilarious.

Funnier than when he complained about how the AP articles on abuse coverups are falsely besmirching the church's valiant efforts to help victims...
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

sparky

Re: Young Adult Sacrament Meeting Talk

Post by sparky » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:42 pm

I honestly feel bad for all the naive members who have no idea what's brewing just below the surface. It's gotta be confusing to see all the empty pews. And it's just plain cruel for leaders to keep ignoring the exodus and telling members things like "in the coming days you'll see the greatest manifestations of the savior's power the world has ever seen!"

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:52 pm

I love it when young-uns accidentally bring up reality in front of a MORmON audience.

At a "farewell" I listened to a recently returned missionary say something along the lines of: "If the church really is true, people should be flocking to it in droves." My memory tells me that he actually asked Elohim that question in prayer, wondering why folks weren't knocking at the missionaries doors, waiting in line to be baptized.

I just sat there and thought: "You really need to explore that question kiddo."
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

stuck

Post by stuck » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:23 pm

I went to church on Sunday and only half the ward showed up I think because of Fall break--people were out of town. Anyway, I think it is becoming more of a thing for people to mention that they know of friends and relatives that have left the church. But I did notice this past Sunday that there weren't any Aaronic priesthood brethren at church and so the Elders had to do the sacrament.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:12 pm

sparky wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:42 pm
"in the coming days you'll see the greatest manifestations of the savior's power the world has ever seen!"
Is that a Nelson quote?

Here's what I'm hoping that manifestation will be: a bolt of lightning scrawls across the COB, "sell all that you have and give it to the poor!"
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:41 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:12 pm
sparky wrote:
"in the coming days you'll see the greatest manifestations of the savior's power the world has ever seen!"
Is that a Nelson quote?
Yes, Nelson said this as part of his Sunday morning remarks at general conference on October 2nd.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:43 am

Saying the quite part out loud!

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:35 am

Linked wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:08 pm

Funnier than when he complained about how the AP articles on abuse coverups are falsely besmirching the church's valiant efforts to help victims...
I hope no abused kids were listening.

It is quite hell, to live in one reality, and get reinforced from podium that no one will believe you. Everyone says one thing, does another, say they help, then don't - its hell.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:09 pm

Linked wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:08 pm

If there were any members of Kirton McConkie in the audience, they could rub their hands together and exclaim, "Excellent, we can keep the abuse going! We were sweating that members would feel angry and betrayed."
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:37 pm

Angel wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:35 am
I hope no abused kids were listening.
Me too.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:38 pm

Linked wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:41 am
Hagoth wrote:
sparky wrote:
Is that a Nelson quote?
Yes, Nelson said this as part of his Sunday morning remarks at general conference on October 2nd.
Is it just me, or is it kind of hilarious that prophets speak in such vague terms that can be interpreted any way that works for you. I can get just as precise revelation from the newspaper horoscope. Shouldn't a prophet's job be to speak clearly and specifically about things to come? This "prophesy" could be fulfilled by anything from a new logo to a global nuclear war, depending on how you want to interpret "the savior's power." Or, more likely, he said it just to make himself sound important and mysterious, and we'll never hear another word about it.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:53 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:38 pm
Is it just me, or is it kind of hilarious that prophets speak in such vague terms that can be interpreted any way that works for you. I can get just as precise revelation from the newspaper horoscope. Shouldn't a prophet's job be to speak clearly and specifically about things to come? This "prophesy" could be fulfilled by anything from a new logo to a global nuclear war, depending on how you want to interpret "the savior's power." Or, more likely, he said it just to make himself sound important and mysterious, and we'll never hear another word about it.
It would be hilarious if people didn't use these statements to justify their dogma.

Maybe I need to take a step back and enjoy the ridiculousness of it all.

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:00 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Here's what I'm hoping that manifestation will be: a bolt of lightning scrawls across the COB, "sell all that you have and give it to the poor!"
Darn that Stan is a crafty bastard. Jesus would never do that.
Illegitimi non carborundum.