"The Unbelieving" Off Off Broadway Play

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
stealthbishop

"The Unbelieving" Off Off Broadway Play

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:04 am

Over the weekend I was in NYC with DW to watch a play called The Unbelieving. I may have mentioned it before but I was interviewed when I was a bishop about 10-11 years ago by a researcher who was researching clergy who had lost their faith. A fellow NOM member back then through NOM messaged me and got me in contact with her. She wrote a book a few years later (with Dan Dennett who is known as one of the "four horsemen of atheism" and very well known professor/scholar) and then recently it has been made into a play and I was invited to the premier.

It was a really powerful experience watching an actor play me and use my own words as his lines. It was also amazing to see the different experiences of various other clergy of other religions and how there is so much commonality with those experiences. I had read the book (Caught In The Pulpit) obviously, but seeing it in a theatrical way was extremely surreal and powerful. It was a window into my life here on NOM over a decade ago when I first discovered issues about the church in a new way.

Here is a review of the play:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/off-off-b ... h-20221028
Last edited by stealthbishop on Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Red Ryder

Re: "The Unbelieving" Off Off Broadway Play

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:05 am

Stealth, your participation here at NOM all these years has been invaluable to so many of us. I always feel a sense of loss when posters move on and stop participating. I felt that for the short time you were away only to find a sense of happiness and joy when you came back! Especially with the news that your wife has joined you and is working her way out. It’s been a long decade for a lot of us, sometimes with a sense of no hope. However, your shared experiences have always been a bright spot. Thank you (and everyone) for participating here.

I wish I could go see this in person. Or hope someday it will come out on VHS, DVD, or Netflix.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:51 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:05 am
Stealth, your participation here at NOM all these years has been invaluable to so many of us. I always feel a sense of loss when posters move on and stop participating. I felt that for the short time you were away only to find a sense of happiness and joy when you came back! Especially with the news that your wife has joined you and is working her way out. It’s been a long decade for a lot of us, sometimes with a sense of no hope. However, your shared experiences have always been a bright spot. Thank you (and everyone) for participating here.

I wish I could go see this in person. Or hope someday it will come out on VHS, DVD, or Netflix.
Thanks a lot RR! This place feels like home. It's good to be back. I can't believe how fast time has flown!
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:24 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Stealth, your participation here at NOM all these years has been invaluable to so many of us.
Amen!
Red Ryder wrote:
Amen and amen!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:46 am

Red Ryder wrote:

Perfectly stated! Stealth has added SO much to this forum since he arrived years ago (and was a Bishop at the time).

What an awesome experience to attend this in NY, Stealth and what an amazing journey you've been on....so far :)
More to come, I'm sure....

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:31 am

Awesomeness!
It's been a very strange experience to grow up in a cult, so many years dedicated to the tribe, then face up to the big slap. It's definitely an experience many will never have and it's worth while to share it. I hope I get to see this play someday!

I wept when I watched "Under the Banner of Heaven", the scene where he was out in the garage in his car late at night, agonizing in cogdis in the midst of his faith crisis. It's a high level of mental anguish and pain I'd experienced that all came rushing back. I think it's important we share these things openly when given the right opportunity. Thanks you for sharing yours Stealth!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:53 am

Thanks so much everyone! Very much appreciated.

I really felt that NOM is a part of this story because it would not have happened without NOM.

I'm also really excited to share that the play made it into the NYT as the critics pick with another great review:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/01/thea ... eview.html
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:09 pm

stealthbishop wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:53 am
I'm also really excited to share that the play made it into the NYT as the critics pick with another great review:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/01/thea ... eview.html
Very exciting. Go Team NOM!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:55 pm

Thanks for sharing the review, Stealth.
the enormous fear of being cast out and the frantic desire to continue belonging, even if that means living dishonestly.
Boy, that's what it's all about, isn't it?