Non-Christian checklist

Chat about a topic supported by books, TED Talks, podcasts, personal experience, philosophies of mankind mingled with humor (shout out to IOT), and maybe we’ll even do a google hangout or conference call once a month.
Angel

Non-Christian checklist

Post by Angel » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:36 pm

What's everyone's score?
:mrgreen:

http://biblicalmindrenewal.blogspot.com ... l.html?m=1
97073_105f339516cfe2e7391f03406376df21.jpg
97073_105f339516cfe2e7391f03406376df21.jpg (141.59 KiB) Viewed 1687 times
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

moksha

Re: Non-Christian checklist

Post by moksha » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:58 pm

Except that Catholicism is not on that list, you would think it was put together by Jack Chick. (Unless the Bloody Mary reference was to the Catholic Queen of England, Mary Tudor).
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

malkie

Post by malkie » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:36 pm

I only got a score of 3:
  • music
  • books
  • certain people (you know who you are!)
aka malkie

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:49 pm

I could only check a half dozen...I do like a good bloody Mary!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:32 am

"Spirit guides"

Is Holy the Ghost™ a "Spirit guide" ?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:43 pm

The problem here is that most things that we have been taught about stuff like witchcraft, occult, Satanism, etc. are either extensions of Christian mysticism or whole cloth fantasies created by Christians to malign others. Real witches don't have anything to do with demons, seances, etc. From what I have read about real "witchcraft," I think Jesus' beliefs would have been much more in line with that worldview, and with Native American Religion, Buddhism, Universalism, and a number of other things on that list than with modern Christianity. In fact, if you read the tenets of the Temple of Satan, it's more Christlike than the behaviors of most American Evangelical Christians.

I do find it hilarious that they take the Magic 8 Ball seriously!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

alas

Post by alas » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:37 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:43 pm
The problem here is that most things that we have been taught about stuff like witchcraft, occult, Satanism, etc. are either extensions of Christian mysticism or whole cloth fantasies created by Christians to malign others. Real witches don't have anything to do with demons, seances, etc. From what I have read about real "witchcraft," I think Jesus' beliefs would have been much more in line with that worldview, and with Native American Religion, Buddhism, Universalism, and a number of other things on that list than with modern Christianity. In fact, if you read the tenets of the Temple of Satan, it's more Christlike than the behaviors of most American Evangelical Christians.

I do find it hilarious that they take the Magic 8 Ball seriously!
Yes, and hypnotism. What if it was a PhD psychologist hypnotizing you for therapy, or your psychiatrist for medical reasons. That would fall more under science than spirituality. Most of the things on that list are not evil, and some are more good than Evangelical Christians.

The early Christians just had to bad mouth the pagans, so they made up all kinds of crap. Those early Christians were the not very Christlike Christians. Christ didn’t call pagans evil. He called the self righteous hypocrites evil.

Here, let me write up my own list of evil forms of spirituality.

Trump followers
evangelicals
Born agains
Southern Baptists

See, anybody can play the “I am more righteous than you are game.

Yeah, if we have a child who is a witch, and we still love the sweet kid, do we just get to claim all of everything on the list?

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:33 pm

"Black or white magic"

What's the difference? The color of the magician's hat? ;)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:43 am

alas wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:37 pm
The early Christians just had to bad mouth the pagans, so they made up all kinds of crap.
Even as they were absorbing and appropriating paganism. For example, they were killing women for honoring Diana and other manifestations of the fertility/earth goddess while at the same time reinventing her as the Virgin Mary so they could continue to worship her under their own banner.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:47 am

Hey, they forgot to include loud laughter, evil speaking of the Lord's anointed, and all other unholy and impure practices (oral sex and watching Rick & Morty).

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:17 am

Do you have to succeed at them or does an attempt count? Like if you tried telepathy but it never quite worked out.

Asking for a friend.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

malkie

Post by malkie » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:40 am

nibbler wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:17 am
Do you have to succeed at them or does an attempt count? Like if you tried telepathy but it never quite worked out.

Asking for a friend.
Did you get the message I sent you?
aka malkie

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:53 pm

Besides taking their name off the list, the Latter-day Saints would add another checklist category:
  • The Philosophies, Arts, and Sciences of Mankind.

Evangelicals would add one more:
  • Failure to worship the orange-skinned Florida Man.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:38 pm

False gods, Mormonism (naturally), and Hare Krishna.

Also, it's interesting that "Islam" and "Black Muslim" are separate categories.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

alas

Post by alas » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:17 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:33 pm
"Black or white magic"

White magic is the “good” kind and black magic is the “bad” kind. “Bad” magic is like summoning demons and the “good” kind is like sending Dorthy back to Kansas. “Bad” is done by witches with green faces and “good is done by pretty ladies in sparkly dresses. Just read the Wizard of Ozz, that should explain it pretty well.

Voodoo is considered black magic. The folk magic done by Joseph Smith was considered white magic. To me, the only difference I can see is black magic was done by pagans and white was done by the descendants of pagans who converted to Christianity in England and Europe. White, done by “us” good people. Black, done by “you” evil people.

Hope that clears it all up :? :? :roll:

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:36 pm

alas wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:17 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:33 pm
"Black or white magic"

White magic is the “good” kind and black magic is the “bad” kind. “Bad” magic is like summoning demons and the “good” kind is like sending Dorthy back to Kansas. “Bad” is done by witches with green faces and “good is done by pretty ladies in sparkly dresses. Just read the Wizard of Ozz, that should explain it pretty well.

Voodoo is considered black magic. The folk magic done by Joseph Smith was considered white magic. To me, the only difference I can see is black magic was done by pagans and white was done by the descendants of pagans who converted to Christianity in England and Europe. White, done by “us” good people. Black, done by “you” evil people.

Hope that clears it all up :? :? :roll:
Got it.

White Magick: Teenage boys pronouncing an incantation over Wonder Bread and tap water to change it into flesh and blood.

I'm going to go ahead and make a wild guess that the "Christians" that created this "baddie" checklist also perform the Eucharist/Communion. I'll also hazard another guess that they'll say it's not Magick... "Oh, that's different!"

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:48 am

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:36 pm
White Magick: Teenage boys pronouncing an incantation over Wonder Bread and tap water to change it into flesh and blood.

I'm going to go ahead and make a wild guess that the "Christians" that created this "baddie" checklist also perform the Eucharist/Communion. I'll also hazard another guess that they'll say it's not Magick... "Oh, that's different!"
How can you tell when a religious ritual is really a magic spell? The sure sign is when the words have to be spoken perfectly, and if you screw up you have to do it again until it's perfect. Just like in Harry Potter.

When you say a prayer, that's an invocation because you're asking for God's blessing, but the sacrament and temple ordinances are evocation because you are telling God what he must do. Just like when dealing with a genie from a bottle, if you make the tiniest mistake it releases the supernatural entity from their side of the contract and they an screw you over however they see fit. Like dragging the treasure deeper in the ground. Knowing secret/true names and tokens is also magic that gives you occult control over ghosts and other unseen forces. It's hobgoblins all the way down.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:02 am

Angel wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:36 pm
Bloody Mary
Are we talking about the tomato and vodka version, or the bathroom mirror version?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:12 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:02 am
Angel wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:36 pm
Bloody Mary
Are we talking about the tomato and vodka version, or the bathroom mirror version?
Depends on the religious faith - in Russia, vodka is part of Easter. Catholics sometimes pray to Mary - not sure if it is the same Mary or not? :lol:
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson