Ultra far right Christian nation Mormons

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Gatorbait

Ultra far right Christian nation Mormons

Post by Gatorbait » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:44 pm

Had a discussion with a person who I have known for many years and who I've disagreed with on many occasions, stuff we all experience.

This time however, the person started telling me how good of a person Donald Trump is, together with his sons. What do you say to this if you disagree? Nothing. Which is what I wisely did. Can't reason with them. Just sets them off.

This moved to a lecture about how the USA is a Christian nation and God made it that way and bla bla bla. Same ol' BS, which I have never agreed with.

Lastly, a hushed tone now, "I've just finished a book written by Mike Pompeo. Great book. You should read it." Right. I will admit I know little or nothing about Mike Popeo. But I listened, halfheartedly, and lasted a few minutes, then his eyes teared up- I'm not making this s**t up- and in even more hushed tones he told me that he had written a letter to Mike Pompeo, had gone over to Desert Book, purchased a copy of "Jesus the Christ" by Talmage, had Pompeo's name embossed on it and sent the letter and book to Mr. Pompeo.

I shook my head and changed the subject. Could not take it any longer, my fingers were pruney from the deep water he was "wont to swim in" and I could tell that he felt he probably thought he'd just tossed pearls as a big old ugly swine. (Sigh) He probably thought I was too stupid to understand.

What is with these people? I can't understand how Latter Day Saints can think this way. Your thoughts?
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

moksha

Re: Ultra far right Christian nation Mormons

Post by moksha » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:36 pm

I think the latest religious survey found that 40% of Mormons agreed with or were supportive of Christian Nationalism. The particular LDS variation is known as DezNat (Deseret Nazis). The symbol of their religious devotion is the Bowie knife, which harkens back to the racial beliefs of Brigham Young. I suspect the overall percentage of Mormons holding this belief is even higher from Utah County to Tucson, Arizona.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:57 pm

Gatorbait wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:44 pm
What is with these people? I can't understand how Latter Day Saints can think this way. Your thoughts?
Since Mormonism has from the very beginning been racist, antisemitic, nationalist, supremacist, and misogynistic, it's quite easy to see. As queer rights became a current issue in recent decades, they have appended queermisia to their long litany of bigotry.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:40 am

LSOF wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:57 pm
Gatorbait wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:44 pm
Since Mormonism has from the very beginning been racist, antisemitic, nationalist, supremacist, and misogynistic, it's quite easy to see. As queer rights became a current issue in recent decades, they have appended queermisia to their long litany of bigotry.
If you step back far enough to take in the whole picture, it's more surprising that more Mormons don't think that way!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:50 pm

Christian Nationalism is on the rise:

https://www.prri.org/research/a-christi ... d-culture/
  • The U.S. government should declare America a Christian nation.
    U.S. laws should be based on Christian values.
    If the U.S. moves away from our Christian foundations, we will not have a country anymore.
    Being Christian is an important part of being truly American.
    God has called Christians to exercise dominion over all areas of American society.
I have a few relatives in the above boat. Painful to see their social media rants :(
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:20 pm

Great article by Angel. Read most of it and had to stop.

Hard to know where we are headed with this Christian Nationalism nonsense. Why does it sound so much like bigotry?

Many thanks for sharing the article.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:30 pm

Only 7% of Republicans reject Christian Nationalism.

Rachel Maddow noted in her history podcast Ultra, that those pushing America to become a fascist pro-Nazi country right before WW2, were intent upon declaring America to be a Christian nation. This is just our current American fascists recycling their old playbook. When Donald Trump encouraged them to come out from under the rocks where they has been hiding, they resumed their planned subversion for America.

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-presents-ultra
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Keewon

Post by Keewon » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:09 pm

This seems to me like just another drop in the bucket of evidence that discredits the teachings of the Church. The D&C said (IIRC) that those who receive the Spirit will not be deceived. And lo- a large percentage of church members- bishops, stake presidents, even some general authorities (again IIRC)- are taken in. Is the Holy Ghost so totally whacked out as that? At some point one just gets tired feeling so amazed. But what did we really expect?

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:12 pm

I thought it was particularly egregious that Don Trump Jr. released a picture of the Judge's daughter for the Trump minions to threaten. Both father and son know the viciousness of Trump supporters. I hope the NYC police will help provide protection for her.
-- Moksha

Conman52

Post by Conman52 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:16 pm

Hi Gatorbait : My wife is a Trumper and sometimes I just can't stand it !!! I often wonder how these people cannot see Trump caused the Jan 6th debacle . Trump and his cronies are the downfall of our society if they continue to follow that nut. On the other hand I'm not a woke fan either so the truth always lies somewhere in the middle, just follow the money.
By their fruits ye shall know them

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:34 pm

It shouldn't surprise us too much that a large proportion of Mormons are ultra conservative egocentric Christian as we have been taught directly that:

The USA was set up specifically so the church could be restored.

The founding fathers were guided and directed by God. And one or more of the 3 Nephites might or might not have counseled Ben Franklin during the writing of the constitution. Heh.

Jesus will return to this country when he comes back. And he'll be the head of the government.

The US constitution will "hang by a thread" only to be saved by "the Elders of Israel".

The BofM tells us and warns us about what happens to governments that do not follow God's laws. We learn to see "Gadianton Robbers" around every corner.

Plus, we have history with at least some moderate flirtation with the John Birch Society.

We have also been very conservative and socially delayed in our response and opinions on race, sexual orientation, and gender.

Probably like most or all of you, I know Mormons who feel the mainstream church has got off track and become way too liberal and accepting. I think Trump divided the church to some degree. Mormons who love him, Mormons who hate him, and Mormons who didn't like him but still voted for him, which seems to be the majority of Mormons, and are the ones who think they are the most tolerant and loving.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:27 pm

Cnsl1 wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:34 pm
...and Mormons who didn't like him but still voted for him, which seems to be the majority of Mormons, and are the ones who think they are the most tolerant and loving.
Mormons believe their Authorities want them to vote Republican, even if it is for a scoundrel.
-- Moksha