LDS approach to history.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

LDS approach to history.

Post by deacon blues » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:26 am

I came across an interesting metaphor in reading Leonard Arrington's 1978 diaries today. To paraphrase- He said the Mormons believe in baptism by immersion, but many prefer to teach Church History by sprinkling. I thought it was clever and insightful explanation of the Church History which was being promoted by Church leaders when I was young. Hence, to borrow a John Dehlin idea, I was not informed when I consented (1975) to go on a mission, go to the temple, etc.
I use the word 'consented' because it wasn't my idea to go, although my mission was the first time I was exposed to the warts in Church history. ;)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Re: LDS approach to history.

Post by Hagoth » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:46 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:26 am
... but many prefer to teach Church History by sprinkling. .
It's not just THAT they're sprinkling, it's WHAT they're sprinkling:
https://youtu.be/VAAwjGKxxIs
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:17 pm

It has been my experience that true believers in Mormonism have little desire to delve into church history unless it is something that they feel will not be a conflict with the "true" church that they belong to.

They have no trouble believing that Lucy Smith, Joseph's mother, who said her son a stoic and brave and good and never had sex with 14 year olds.

They believe Joseph Smith had super human strength to run hither and thither into the woods with the golden plates in a pillow case, but not that the plates would have had to weigh at least 50 pounds. They are not interested in trying to pick up a chunk of metal with no handles on it that weighs that much.

They love to get all teary about how Joseph Smith would never shot and kill anyone before he was "martyred" in a jail.

True history gets in the way of their core beliefs. History is what church members say it is, regardless if there is evidence to back it up.

I think "sprinkling" does not describe real Mormonism history. Mormons would rather believe lies. It is just that simple.

As in the movie "A few good men", with Jack Nicholson- "They can't handle the truth".
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:32 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:46 pm
deacon blues wrote:
Sometimes they fling it. It hits the fan. It's a real mess.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:23 am

blazerb wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:32 am
Hagoth wrote:
deacon blues wrote:

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:26 am

Hermey wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:23 am
blazerb wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:32 am
Hagoth wrote:

I love this picture. Thank you. :)