No to Medical Marijuana for Utah

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
User avatar
Rob4Hope
Posts: 920
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:43 pm
Location: Salt Lake City -- the Motherland!!

Re: No to Medical Marijuana for Utah

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 am

Interesting thread.

You know, I read something a while ago, and if true, its quite a compelling argument. I think in Europe,...the UK if not mistaken,...a law was passed to legalize a bunch of drugs. What happened was expected, but then unexpected: the usage rates shot right up; however, after a little time passed, the usage rates declined almost back to base. You see, out of exploration, people purchased and used; but as time passed, and the novelty as it were, things settled down. So, it was concluded that those who were users still were users; those who were not users maybe tried, but ended up being not users...

Saw a VERY compelling TED TALK. https://www.ted.com/talks/johann_hari_e ... n_is_wrong

The man's conclusion was the opposite of addiction is not sobriety,...its connection.

I think pot should be legalized completely for medical use, and for using it for fun. What gives us the right, as people, to dictate what is morally right and wrong, especially when you CAN USE POT recreationally and not harm anyone.

And just for the record,...I am not a user.

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: No to Medical Marijuana for Utah

Post by Hagoth » Tue May 15, 2018 8:44 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 am
Interesting thread.

You know, I read something a while ago, and if true, its quite a compelling argument. I think in Europe,...the UK if not mistaken,...a law was passed to legalize a bunch of drugs. What happened was expected, but then unexpected: the usage rates shot right up; however, after a little time passed, the usage rates declined almost back to base. You see, out of exploration, people purchased and used; but as time passed, and the novelty as it were, things settled down. So, it was concluded that those who were users still were users; those who were not users maybe tried, but ended up being not users...
And drug related crimes went down dramatically.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

User avatar
wtfluff
Posts: 1362
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Worshiping Gravity / Pulling Taffy

Re: No to Medical Marijuana for Utah

Post by wtfluff » Tue May 15, 2018 9:09 pm

moksha wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:57 pm
I wish the Brethren did not feel compelled to take a stand against the wellbeing of these sick people.
Such a sad statement...

Why don't the Q15 take a lesson from EternityIsNow's quote and use their priesthood powers to cure some of the ailments that folks would like to treat with Medical Marijuana? Inquiring minds and all...
EternityIsNow wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:19 am
“I preached to a large congregation at the stand, on the science and practice of medicine, desiring to persuade the Saints to trust in God when sick, and not in an arm of flesh, and live by faith and not by medicine, or poison; and when they were sick, and had called for the Elders to pray for them, and they were not healed, to use herbs and mild food.”
-- Joseph Smith

Documentary History of the Church, Volume 4, p. 414.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

Keep the company of those who seek the truth - run from those who have found it -Václav Havel

Sometimes Darkness Can Show You The Light...

User avatar
Rob4Hope
Posts: 920
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:43 pm
Location: Salt Lake City -- the Motherland!!

Re: No to Medical Marijuana for Utah

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed May 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:44 pm
Rob4Hope wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 am
Interesting thread.

You know, I read something a while ago, and if true, its quite a compelling argument. I think in Europe,...the UK if not mistaken,...a law was passed to legalize a bunch of drugs. What happened was expected, but then unexpected: the usage rates shot right up; however, after a little time passed, the usage rates declined almost back to base. You see, out of exploration, people purchased and used; but as time passed, and the novelty as it were, things settled down. So, it was concluded that those who were users still were users; those who were not users maybe tried, but ended up being not users...
And drug related crimes went down dramatically.
I am convinced there are 2 types of people who want to control in this arena: those who do it thinking they are saving the masses who don't know better, and those who do it with no other motive than power. Of course, there are all kinds of shades in the middle.

There are compelling reasons to pass some laws that regulate drug usage. Alchohol is the biggest legal drug there is I'm sure...and it is a fact that drunk driving (for example), is dangerous and often deadly. There are laws that govern this, like there should be. BUT, if someone is going to drink responsibly, then that is their business. Or course there are people who think there is NO LEGITIMATE REASON for someone to drink...BECAUSE (to them), GOD SAID SO!....so they want to use the law to ram their version of morality down everyone's throat.

It is interesting to me that so many LDS people are willing to use Satan's tactics to achieve Jesus's aims. Sad but true...

Legalize pot, not just for medical use but for responsible use otherwise. I know some people who smoke pot. They also pay tax, hold jobs, take care of the environment, and are responsible citizens. So, what have they done that is so wrong?

And again, for the record, my only claim to fame is I occasionally drink a beer.

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: No to Medical Marijuana for Utah

Post by Hagoth » Wed May 16, 2018 4:54 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:16 am
Medical marijuana is a farce.
I understand what your saying but I agree with others who suggest that we should look it in terms of the lesser of two evils.

A recent survey shows that 93% of people being treated for pain would opt for marijuana over opioids if their doctor cold prescribe it.

https://www.sciencealert.com/93-of-pati ... -new-study

I would be all for tilting the scales radically toward cannabis and away from opioids, both medical and recreational. The lesser of two evils.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

User avatar
Rob4Hope
Posts: 920
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:43 pm
Location: Salt Lake City -- the Motherland!!

Re: No to Medical Marijuana for Utah

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed May 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:54 pm
1smartdodog wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:16 am
Medical marijuana is a farce.
I understand what your saying but I agree with others who suggest that we should look it in terms of the lesser of two evils.

A recent survey shows that 93% of people being treated for pain would opt for marijuana over opioids if their doctor cold prescribe it.

https://www.sciencealert.com/93-of-pati ... -new-study

I would be all for tilting the scales radically toward cannabis and away from opioids, both medical and recreational. The lesser of two evils.
So heroin type drugs are legal for pain mitigation, and pot is not?

BAHAHAHAHAHA

LMAO!....

Talk about a funny twist....

I know, they should pass a law against people using pain pills off prescription. That will fix this. Or...they should pass a law against people using pot. That will make everyone obey...yeh...that will fix it. Lets not regulate it since we all know people will obey the law and not use it anyway....

bahahahahaha

You know, it makes sense to be me to quit trying to force morality around and maybe just try to put up some boundaries that MIGHT be more enforceable, around this stuff.

Just my $0.02

Cnsl1
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:27 pm

Re: No to Medical Marijuana for Utah

Post by Cnsl1 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:48 am
Interesting thread.

You know, I read something a while ago, and if true, its quite a compelling argument. I think in Europe,...the UK if not mistaken,...a law was passed to legalize a bunch of drugs. What happened was expected, but then unexpected: the usage rates shot right up; however, after a little time passed, the usage rates declined almost back to base. You see, out of exploration, people purchased and used; but as time passed, and the novelty as it were, things settled down. So, it was concluded that those who were users still were users; those who were not users maybe tried, but ended up being not users...

Saw a VERY compelling TED TALK. https://www.ted.com/talks/johann_hari_e ... n_is_wrong

The man's conclusion was the opposite of addiction is not sobriety,...its connection.

I think pot should be legalized completely for medical use, and for using it for fun. What gives us the right, as people, to dictate what is morally right and wrong, especially when you CAN USE POT recreationally and not harm anyone.

And just for the record,...I am not a user.
It was Portugal, and there's more to the story, but yes, drug abuse went down after total legalization. They did spend a bunch on reconnecting these addicts back into society, however. Watch that excellent Ted talk video for more info.

Must of us can probably give anecdotal evidence of how medical cannibus had blessed the lives of people were know, but it's always important to follow the data. The good data, not the sensationalized reports or propaganda. This is not my field, but based on what I've been able to find, cannibus can be very very beneficial and it's my opinion that it should be completely legalized but regulated. CBD, which comes from cannibus, as most of you probably know, but has none of the hallucinagenic properties, has been demonstrated effective in treating a number of maladies, including anxiety, pain, and seizures. Alcohol, which is legal for 21 and older in all 50 states (including mostly Utah, heh) is far worse, addictive, and does not provide the health benefits researchers are finding with cannibus. Like any drug or consumable, it can be overused and misused, but blanket statements like only mostly lazy potheads are pushing for it, or malingering to obtain it, is not based on the data that I've seen.

One set of drugs that now seems far more dangerous than anyone thought, and far worse than cannibus is the opioids. Maybe they can be helpful (short term at least.. maybe) but really addictive, and has caused a crap load of problems for lots of people. I know Mormons who would die before eating a cannibus gummy bear, but pop opioids like candy that they've borrowed from a neighbor! (Useless anecdote, I know).

Bottom line... Research strongly suggests that cannibus can be very helpful for many people.

Big pharma is probably strongly against it unless they can get a hand in the pie. And they have a really really big hand.

User avatar
moksha
Posts: 1780
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

Re: No to Medical Marijuana for Utah

Post by moksha » Thu May 17, 2018 5:04 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:54 pm
So heroin type drugs are legal for pain mitigation, and pot is not?
I think marijuana is most prescribed for it proven antiemetic and anti-anorexic properties.
pot is not?
This proves that our Hagoth is a poet. Had he added, "pot is not and not is pot?" he could have been a certified creator of religious texts.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 1952
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: No to Medical Marijuana for Utah

Post by Hagoth » Thu May 17, 2018 6:26 am

moksha wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:04 am
Hagoth wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:54 pm
So heroin type drugs are legal for pain mitigation, and pot is not?
I think marijuana is most prescribed for it proven antiemetic and anti-anorexic properties.
pot is not?
This proves that our Hagoth is a poet. Had he added, "pot is not and not is pot?" he could have been a certified creator of religious texts.
Actually, those two quotes were from Rob4Hope. I'm more of a mushroom guy and I've spent thirty years working on a rhyme for mushroom (taking time out for meals, of course). Unfortunately my proposed epic poem also demands that I rhyme orange and purple. So not much progress there.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

User avatar
moksha
Posts: 1780
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

Re: No to Medical Marijuana for Utah

Post by moksha » Thu May 17, 2018 8:03 pm

Flightless Bird wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:04 am
I think marijuana is mostly prescribed for it proven antiemetic and anti-anorexic properties.
Imagine how joyous it would be to go from not being able to eat, to having some Fritos and an O'Doul's nonalcoholic Amber!

A bag of Fritos
An O'Doul's Amber
With Medical Marijuana
And thou beside me on the ward
Ah, Paradise Enough.

-- The Rubaiyat of a Cancer Patient
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Cnsl1
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:27 pm

Re: No to Medical Marijuana for Utah

Post by Cnsl1 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:35 pm

A do-gooder by the name Lot
Had a wild wife who fancied pot
Said Lot, "I was gonna
Get her marijuana
But God turned that girl into salt!"

Margarita
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 4:21 pm

Re: No to Medical Marijuana for Utah

Post by Margarita » Sat May 19, 2018 12:30 pm

I am a resigned ex member...no longer LDS but lives in Utah with relatives who are. They are in need of pain relieves to cancer and other things.
That being said...as a non member I don't like the fact the the church gets a say in the relief of pain to members of my family..Pain relief without the additional side affects and other addiction problems..marijuana creates an appetite..so that is huge in those trying to gain weight for surgery or other things. They don't pay taxes...c'mon ...they don't get to do this to the rest of state. Members agree in many ways.

User avatar
moksha
Posts: 1780
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

Re: No to Medical Marijuana for Utah

Post by moksha » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:07 am

The Lt. Governor of Utah has certified this petition to be on the November ballot. The Church will now be ramping up its campaign to solicit donations and volunteers to defeat this medicinal help for the sick.

If the Church loses through later court decisions because of that so-called "life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness" nonsense, I hope the Brethren will not issue a new revelation banning the children of the ill from being members of the Church.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

User avatar
Archimedes
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:22 am

Re: No to Medical Marijuana for Utah

Post by Archimedes » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:35 am

Utah is stupid, they will be missing out on billions of dollars of tax revenues.

Just legalize already, don't worry about the medical versus recreational straw man. Marijuana was always the most idiotic component of the "war on drugs."
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests