Soul-Crushing Sins of Omission

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

Re: Soul-Crushing Sins of Omission

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:20 pm
Rob4Hope wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:38 am
The greatest thing I can do is this: SWK...I forgive you.
I haven't been able to do that, so I guess it's one of my sins of omission.
Those guys don't forgive. They just justify themselves as though it a sign of spiritual maturity to continually fight against those who they deem apostates or evil -- ie, those who disagree with them.

I've learned more about holding grudges from the LDS church than any other group of people. The leadership is a good example of that.

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:18 pm

GoodBoy wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:40 am
Supposed sins of omission is why most, very good members of the church, still hate themselves. I agree. Soul crushing.
A broken heart and a contrite spirit - that is the goal right?
men are that they might have... what kind of joy? humility is a good thing, pride is a horrible thing - there has to be some "joyful" middle ground with a yin/yang sort of mixture... not being all perfect, not being all sin - just a happy yin/yang mix and being comfortable with that combination that leads to the highs and the lows giving contrast and meaning to life.
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:05 pm

mofsi.jpg
mofsi.jpg (52.34 KiB) Viewed 108 times

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:26 pm

It is hard for many members to stand up to sins of omission. However, there have been a few who have who have avoided sins of omission by standing or sitting to say it was wrong to:

1. Exclude black people from the Temple, the priesthood, and a chance to be in heaven in a non-servant capacity.
2. Believe that it was more honorable for rape victims to die than to submit to rape and live. (Miracle of Forgiveness)
3. Take part in excluding LGBT individuals from equal rights under the law.
4. Place the will of their leaders over their own innate sense of decency.

Kudos to members who did not acquiesce in allowing sins of omission to blossom into sins of commission.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:29 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:21 pm
RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:15 pm
...sometimes I feel guilt for not making an effort to try and help my TBM friends out of it, especially when I see them suffering from it.
So, you're saying that this sins of omission thing is a two-edged sword?
Exactly!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

nehor90210

Post by nehor90210 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:17 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:26 pm
nehor90210 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:36 pm
...so I figured the sins of omission were just one of those "grace after all we can do" sort of things.
Which throws you into an infinite spiral, since the very nature of sins o' omission is that you aren't doing enough to achieve the status of "all we can do." In Mormonism Jesus saves us after we have done everything ourselves. But we can never do enough, so maybe Jesus should have just settled down with Mary and Martha, avoided getting nailed to things, and had a nice rest-of-his-life.
Spoken like someone who never had enough sins of commission to blame for lack of feeling the Spirit. :)
"On this spot I'll fight no more forever. Come and get me, you bastards!"