Dear Mr. Stears - letter from Kirton McConkie

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Post Reply
User avatar
Red Ryder
Posts: 1664
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Dear Mr. Stears - letter from Kirton McConkie

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:11 am

I just saw this posted as a google review of Kirton McConkie.

My first thoughts...

This scares the crap out of me! Are the fine attorneys at the Lord's law firm aware of individuals that may be a high risk to the public? What responsibility do local mormon leaders have in notifying the members/public of known threats? Considering how sexual predators are dealt with I'm not confident that the church even considers protecting its members from its own members.

My second thought: Mike Norton, is that you? :lol:
Hi guys, I am "Mr. Stears" I have a few questions concerning a letter I recently received from your law offices. I'll make sure it's attached. I am a married and endowed member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I hold the Melchizedek priesthood. I hold a current temple recommend. Though, a few days ago I seem to have gotten a rather interesting letter based off of the "opinion" of some of my church leaders. I study APA social science. I served my country.

Dated August 28, 2018 (VIA CERTIFIED MAIL)

Dear Mr. Stears

We represent The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (the "church"). This letter is to inform you of restrictions placed upon you in response to your recent behavior. In the opinion of Church leaders you have created disturbances on Church property, harassed priesthood leaders both on and off Church property, and violated Church policies. As a result, you are prohibited from entering properties associated with the Boise Idaho Central Stake and the Boise Idaho YSA Stake or from attending any meeting or activity of those units. We also request that you cease and desist from contacting priesthood leaders or their families via any means at their homes, place of employment, Church, or at any other locations.

We regret the necessity for this action and urge your immediate compliance. If you come onto Church property described above or contact priesthood leaders in violation of these restrictions you may be subject to arrest and prosecution as well as additional restrictions for trespass and harassment.

We emphasize that some of these restrictions may be lifted if you demonstrate to (The Boise Central Stake President) that you no longer pose a risk. To do so, you must comply with restrictions contained in this letter for a sufficient period of time, and follow any additional steps as outlined by (The Stake President), including obtaining counseling and taking prescribed medications or therapies. To contact (The Stake President), we request that you work through his executive secretary, (Name). If a change in these restrictions is approved, you will receive a letter from an attorney's office informing you of any changes.

Respectfully KIRTON McCONKIE

I have a few questions... Though, I would like to make it vary clear that this message is not intended to threaten anyone in anyway. I am simply seeking some clarity. I do hope that is not illegal?

1) Am I allowed to attend the temple?
2) Can we attend a different ward?
3) What about my wife? What is she allowed to do under these restrictions?
4) What exactly did I do to attack these church leaders? These accusations seem vary vague, and stately based strictly on opinions... and desperately exaggerated? I don't recall harassing anyone on church property, or causing any physical disturbances. Usually I am to sick to even attend my normal ward. My wife goes alone. Though, I did try to report the abuse of church leader for practically two full years. Maybe that is what this is about?
5) Am I being silenced by the church for trying to report abuse?
6) Is my stake president qualified to dictate what sort of prescription medications I am allowed to take, and what sort of therapist I am allowed to see? I am well aquatinted with church councilors, I have attended the annual AMCAP association... and my wife majored in psychology
7) How am I a threat, my health is horrible... I often have to walk with a cane. I almost never leave my house, and I don't have any friends outside the church.
8) Can I still talk to normal church members?
9) Should I request to have my name removed from the church records, because apparently... I am a crazy psychopath, that is a danger to everyone around me? Witch I suppose means, they do not like me vary much?
10) Is it legal to enforce religious precepts with the law?
11) Why didn't you just excommunicate me if I am such a horrible person? That seemed strange to me...
12) What Church Policies did I violate? If I violated Church Policies, it is difficult to repent if I'm not sure what I am supposed to repent for?
https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/113 ... z?hl=en-US
Those who do not move do not notice their chains. —Rosa Luxemburg

User avatar
MoPag
Posts: 1375
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Dear Mr. Stears - letter from Kirton McConkie

Post by MoPag » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:49 am

Wuuuttt? Wow!!!! Craziness!!!

Do we know if the original letter said "Latter-Day" or "Latter-day" ? The official way to present it is "Latter-day."


But damn this is crazy. I love how the church can tell people to leave it alone but it's damn near impossible for ex-mos to get the church to leave them alone. :roll:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

User avatar
Grace2Daisy
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:01 am
Location: With the Love of My Life

Re: Dear Mr. Stears - letter from Kirton McConkie

Post by Grace2Daisy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:10 am

It certainly is apparent the church has decided to "circle the wagons". A few years ago I would have been surprised reading a document such as this, but currently I'm not surprised, its just another crazy day in Mormon Land.
"What is truth?" retorted Pilate. John 18:38

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 2240
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Dear Mr. Stears - letter from Kirton McConkie

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:01 am

We also request that you cease and desist from contacting priesthood leaders or their families via any means at their homes, place of employment, Church, or at any other locations...you may be subject to arrest and prosecution as well as additional restrictions for trespass and harassment.
Can you have someone arrested for sending text or email, for making phone calls, or writing letters?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

User avatar
RubinHighlander
Posts: 899
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:20 am
Location: Behind the Zion Curtain

Re: Dear Mr. Stears - letter from Kirton McConkie

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Wow! I'm really wanting more background here as to what the heck was going down the last several years with that guy and his local leaders. How did it come to an attorney letter from the COBs legal mobsters!?
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

User avatar
profit_seizer
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:59 pm
Location: rose city
Contact:

Re: Dear Mr. Stears - letter from Kirton McConkie

Post by profit_seizer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:22 pm

Please, they're the "gangsters of love". ;)
"The history of human thought recalls the swinging of a pendulum which takes centuries to swing. After a long period of slumber comes a moment of awakening." —Peter Kropotkin

User avatar
blazerb
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:35 pm

Re: Dear Mr. Stears - letter from Kirton McConkie

Post by blazerb » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:01 am
We also request that you cease and desist from contacting priesthood leaders or their families via any means at their homes, place of employment, Church, or at any other locations...you may be subject to arrest and prosecution as well as additional restrictions for trespass and harassment.

Can you have someone arrested for sending text or email, for making phone calls, or writing letters?
I'm pretty sure you can if a no-contact order is violated. I don't know about a letter like this. It sounds like a request rather than an order.

User avatar
StarbucksMom
Posts: 185
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Dear Mr. Stears - letter from Kirton McConkie

Post by StarbucksMom » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:56 pm

With no context/background info, this makes absolutely no sense. (like Rubin H mentions.) I have no idea, this could actually be justified.

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 2240
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Dear Mr. Stears - letter from Kirton McConkie

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:24 pm

blazerb wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:08 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:01 am
We also request that you cease and desist from contacting priesthood leaders or their families via any means at their homes, place of employment, Church, or at any other locations...you may be subject to arrest and prosecution as well as additional restrictions for trespass and harassment.

Can you have someone arrested for sending text or email, for making phone calls, or writing letters?
I'm pretty sure you can if a no-contact order is violated. I don't know about a letter like this. It sounds like a request rather than an order.
Could Stears get a similar no-contact order to keep missionaries, love-bombers, Elders Quorum presidents, fast offering collectors, and church PR mailbots from contacting him?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

User avatar
blazerb
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:35 pm

Re: Dear Mr. Stears - letter from Kirton McConkie

Post by blazerb » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:39 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:24 pm
Could Stears get a similar no-contact order to keep missionaries, love-bombers, Elders Quorum presidents, fast offering collectors, and church PR mailbots from contacting him?
I don't know how specific a no-contact order needs to be. Ordering one person not to contact one person is doable. Ordering a dozen people not to contact one person seems less so. However, he could certainly threaten legal action, in the same way the church seems to be doing, for harassment. I know I have been in ward councils when threats like this were brought up. They were taken seriously.

I don't think this is done very often. I would not just because it seems so over the top. The church has no such qualms, obviously.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. I have known some people who have been involved in restraining orders, on both sides. The lawyers out there can probably point out what I don't understand.

User avatar
MoPag
Posts: 1375
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Dear Mr. Stears - letter from Kirton McConkie

Post by MoPag » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:55 am

blazerb wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:39 am
Hagoth wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:24 pm
Could Stears get a similar no-contact order to keep missionaries, love-bombers, Elders Quorum presidents, fast offering collectors, and church PR mailbots from contacting him?
I don't know how specific a no-contact order needs to be. Ordering one person not to contact one person is doable. Ordering a dozen people not to contact one person seems less so. However, he could certainly threaten legal action, in the same way the church seems to be doing, for harassment. I know I have been in ward councils when threats like this were brought up. They were taken seriously.

I don't think this is done very often. I would not just because it seems so over the top. The church has no such qualms, obviously.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. I have known some people who have been involved in restraining orders, on both sides. The lawyers out there can probably point out what I don't understand.
Also not a lawyer, but I know you can include "agents, servants and employees of" a certain person in a no contact order.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

User avatar
EternityIsNow
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:48 pm

Re: Dear Mr. Stears - letter from Kirton McConkie

Post by EternityIsNow » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:52 pm

The review is gone from google, replaced by 'I love all you guys'.

Sounds like a disabled member felt abused, or knew of abuse by a local church leader. The local leader complained to KM who sided with the leader and has portrayed Stears as a disturbance.

We don't know the whole story, but the church has no ministry to disabled or mentally ill members, and it is not hard to see how a disagreement over expectations could escalate.

This is really sad, using lawyers to respond to a member who is probably suffering a lot. How callous.

User avatar
alas
Posts: 914
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:10 pm

Re: Dear Mr. Stears - letter from Kirton McConkie

Post by alas » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:44 am

EternityIsNow wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:52 pm
The review is gone from google, replaced by 'I love all you guys'.

Sounds like a disabled member felt abused, or knew of abuse by a local church leader. The local leader complained to KM who sided with the leader and has portrayed Stears as a disturbance.

We don't know the whole story, but the church has no ministry to disabled or mentally ill members, and it is not hard to see how a disagreement over expectations could escalate.

This is really sad, using lawyers to respond to a member who is probably suffering a lot. How callous.
That was my thought, that this guy sounds like he may have mental issues, and instead of lovingly telling him he has GOT to stay on his meds, they decided getting lawyers involved was a better solution.

We had a mentally unstable guy in one of my wards and when he would go off his meds, he could be a real problem. From dressing like a woman at 6’4” with a beard to being disruptive and aggression. Our bishop repeatedly took him aside and said how much he loved the guy, and how he was a wanted member of the ward, but he HAD to stay on his medication. The bishop got permission to talk with his doctor and ask how to help. The bishop went over to his place everyday for months to make sure he took his meds. And guess what. Honey not only attracts more flies than vinegar, it gets more mentally ill guys to stabilize on their meds. The love got the guy convinced that the side effects of the medication made it worth it to stay sane.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests