The gospel for dummies

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
User avatar
JustHangingOn@57
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:54 pm
Location: Right in the thick of it.

The gospel for dummies

Post by JustHangingOn@57 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:13 pm

Attended SS for the first time since getting a primary teaching assignment. I needed to kill 20 minutes because I wont go to sharing time. I threw caution to the wind and went for it. OMG SS was as vapid and boring as I remembered it! Our instructor is so concerned about "sticking to the doctrine" that her lesson could have easily been taught to the 8 year olds. I think even they would be thinking to themselves "is this as deep as it gets?" The lights were turned off. She whipped her phone out, turned on the flashlight app, and asked the class "what the light represents". Pause. "That's right brother Answereveryquestion. Its like the light of Christ". Great, I'm thinking. I cant go to SS either. I guess now I'll officially join the ranks of the hall people.

User avatar
Newme
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by Newme » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:27 pm

Hall people. :lol:
It seems like there are always some roaming the halls - some, like you, may consciously do so - others subconsciously want to be anywhere but church but don’t feel that precious sense of freedom of religion. ;)

Have you tried the small gospel principles class - and act like a difficult, inquisitive investigador? Keeps it lively.

User avatar
JustHangingOn@57
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:54 pm
Location: Right in the thick of it.

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by JustHangingOn@57 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:46 pm

Newme wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:27 pm

Have you tried the small gospel principles class - and act like a difficult, inquisitive investigador? Keeps it lively.
We only have GD. I live in the heart of the heart of the corridor. And we dont have investigators. Non-members in the area are wise to the shannnagans of their LDS neighbors and politely let them know that they are not interested.

User avatar
Newme
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by Newme » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:50 pm

JustHangingOn@57 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:46 pm
Newme wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:27 pm

Have you tried the small gospel principles class - and act like a difficult, inquisitive investigador? Keeps it lively.
We only have GD. I live in the heart of the heart of the corridor. And we dont have investigators. Non-members in the area are wise to the shannnagans of their LDS neighbors and politely let them know that they are not interested.
Bummer. I also live in Mormonland - but we still have that little class - it’s small - but I like it - more of a conversation about the basics. At times, I’ve been too outspoken - & probably changed how others saw me - but that’s ok.

User avatar
nibbler
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:12 pm

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by nibbler » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:54 am

Newme wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:27 pm
Have you tried the small gospel principles class - and act like a difficult, inquisitive investigador? Keeps it lively.
https://www.lds.org/church/news/changes ... h?lang=eng

Relevant bit:
  • The Gospel Principles course will be discontinued. All members and interested friends will be invited to attend their respective adult or youth Sunday School class.
  • Optional courses, such as those for strengthening marriage and family, temple preparation, missionary preparation, and family history, will not be held during Sunday class time. These courses may be taught at other times for individuals, families, or groups based on local needs and at the bishop’s discretion.
There's only one class now, the gospel doctrine class. It's made for a crowded SS in my ward.
We see things not as they are, but as we are ourselves. - H.M. Tomlinson

User avatar
Red Ryder
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:09 am

Pft... The hall people!

The Parking Lot people are where it's at!

The EQP stopped by my house a few weeks ago and handed me a stack of papers containing conference talks. He said, here's the next few weeks of lessons for EQ we handed out.

The regurgitation of the a Brethren is getting old and stale. How much longer can they keep doing this before the members revolt? 😱
Those who do not move do not notice their chains. —Rosa Luxemburg

User avatar
græy
Posts: 274
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:52 pm

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by græy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:31 am

nibbler wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:54 am
There's only one class now, the gospel doctrine class. It's made for a crowded SS in my ward.
Truth

For a related story...

I rarely make it to our Sunday School since I usually end up helping the primary one way or another. However, I did get in there this past week where the discussion wound up focusing on Pharisees in our day. It was relatively awesome.

Several people commented and shared stores about how we shouldn't judge others for their personal interpretation of the WoW. Eventually someone brought up the BYUx honor codes and the whole class devolved ragging on the BYUs for being too rigid and controlling. A few people had stories about being called to repentance (i.e. told to meet with bishop) for infractions like wearing sandals and not shaving while staying home sick.

Good times!
I'm better than dirt... well most dirt. Not that fancy store bought stuff, I can't compete with that... full of nutrients and everything. -Moe Sizlack

User avatar
MerrieMiss
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by MerrieMiss » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:36 am

nibbler wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:54 am
There's only one class now, the gospel doctrine class. It's made for a crowded SS in my ward.
Yep. There was discussion in our ward on how to make GD more welcoming/useful to the people who attended GP. Leadership decided that SS would be taught to the lowest common denominator (investigator/new member) so it would be appropriate to everyone. Just when you thought SS couldn't get any worse.
Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:09 am
Pft... The hall people!

The Parking Lot people are where it's at!
I started hanging out in the parking lot/going home briefly when my kids were born because there was no way I was going to the mother's lounge. I was amazed at how many active people left after sacrament and returned for third hour. I currently hang out in the car during RS; my husband always makes sure to pack a quilt and I bring a book. There's another family who parks across from us where at least one of the adults hangs out in the car too. When it's noon, they open the doors, the kids pile in and they're gone. It's kind of chummy in the parking lot.
The true opposite of order is not disorder but freedom. Most profoundly, the true opposite of control is not chaos but self-control. -Jay Griffiths

User avatar
JustHangingOn@57
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:54 pm
Location: Right in the thick of it.

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by JustHangingOn@57 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:05 pm

græy wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:31 am
nibbler wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:54 am
There's only one class now, the gospel doctrine class. It's made for a crowded SS in my ward.
Truth

For a related story...

I rarely make it to our Sunday School since I usually end up helping the primary one way or another. However, I did get in there this past week where the discussion wound up focusing on Pharisees in our day. It was relatively awesome.

Several people commented and shared stores about how we shouldn't judge others for their personal interpretation of the WoW. Eventually someone brought up the BYUx honor codes and the whole class devolved ragging on the BYUs for being too rigid and controlling. A few people had stories about being called to repentance (i.e. told to meet with bishop) for infractions like wearing sandals and not shaving while staying home sick.

Good times!
Man, your SS sounds awesome! I'm jealous.

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 2374
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:58 am
Location: Phoenix

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by Corsair » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:13 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:09 am
The regurgitation of the a Brethren is getting old and stale. How much longer can they keep doing this before the members revolt? 😱
I do not believe there will be a general revolt. There will only be a quiet stream of people heading to the halls, then parking lot, then to Starbucks.

It really is insulting that everyone is shunted over to Gospel Doctrine. It underlies the correlated assertion that there is no distinction between milk and meat of the gospel. The advanced Sunday School class for intelligent adults holding temple recommends is just right for any brand new investigator just showing up for the first time with questions. It feels like additional social pressure to keep you questions oriented at the level for the average teenager.

The flimsy rationale for Gospel Home Study (i.e., church homework) is that the more pointed questions can be brought up at home. This is simply not going to happen, especially in a mixed faith household. People are getting asked what they learned in home study in the previous week with similar expectations to the former questions like, "Have you done your home teaching?" I'm enough of an opportunist to come up with a quick answer, but that only works for unbelieving reprobates like me who do not fear the LDS flavor of divine retribution. And still, the serious questions are not going to get answered.

User avatar
JustHangingOn@57
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:54 pm
Location: Right in the thick of it.

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by JustHangingOn@57 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:30 pm

MerrieMiss wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:36 am
nibbler wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:54 am
There's only one class now, the gospel doctrine class. It's made for a crowded SS in my ward.
Yep. There was discussion in our ward on how to make GD more welcoming/useful to the people who attended GP. Leadership decided that SS would be taught to the lowest common denominator (investigator/new member) so it would be appropriate to everyone. Just when you thought SS couldn't get any worse.
Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:09 am
Pft... The hall people!

The Parking Lot people are where it's at!
I started hanging out in the parking lot/going home briefly when my kids were born because there was no way I was going to the mother's lounge. I was amazed at how many active people left after sacrament and returned for third hour. I currently hang out in the car during RS; my husband always makes sure to pack a quilt and I bring a book. There's another family who parks across from us where at least one of the adults hangs out in the car too. When it's noon, they open the doors, the kids pile in and they're gone. It's kind of chummy in the parking lot.
Some Sunday after Sacrament meeting, in the not too distant future, your Bishop is going to wander out to his car to get some papers he had forgot to bring in. He will look up and see that half the cars in the parking lot have formed a tightly knit circle. Car trunks are open, pleasant (a mixture of LDS and non-LDS approved) music is playing, and a couple of the brethren have brought mini-Hibachis to cook up burgers and tofu squares. People are laughing and having a great time as they share experiences of how they have been more Christlike in their dealings with their friends and family. Sister MerrieMiss is leading a discussion on how the Savior has enriched her life. The kids are listening to the adults because they love to hear stories about how others have shown their adoration for the Savior by actually doing something other than just talking about it, like they do every Sunday inside the church building.

But I can dream...

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 2374
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:58 am
Location: Phoenix

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by Corsair » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:43 pm

JustHangingOn@57 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:30 pm
Some Sunday after Sacrament meeting, in the not too distant future, your Bishop is going to wander out to his car to get some papers he had forgot to bring in. He will look up and see that half the cars in the parking lot have formed a tightly knit circle. Car trunks are open, pleasant (a mixture of LDS and non-LDS approved) music is playing, and a couple of the brethren have brought mini-Hibachis to cook up burgers and tofu squares. People are laughing and having a great time as they share experiences of how they have been more Christlike in their dealings with their friends and family. Sister MerrieMiss is leading a discussion on how the Savior has enriched her life. The kids are listening to the adults because they love to hear stories about how others have shown their adoration for the Savior by actually doing something other than just talking about it, like they do every Sunday inside the church building.

But I can dream...
Sabbath Tail Gate Party sounds like the greatest thing since staying clothed during initiatory.

User avatar
Just This Guy
Posts: 655
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: Almost Heaven

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:36 pm

JustHangingOn@57 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:13 pm
I guess now I'll officially join the ranks of the hall people.

Since you are going out to the halls anyway, go a bit further, out the door, and join your local Starbucks ward. You will find it is much more intellectually stimulating.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

User avatar
Newme
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by Newme » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:03 pm

nibbler wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:54 am
Newme wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:27 pm
Have you tried the small gospel principles class - and act like a difficult, inquisitive investigador? Keeps it lively.
https://www.lds.org/church/news/changes ... h?lang=eng

Relevant bit:
  • The Gospel Principles course will be discontinued. All members and interested friends will be invited to attend their respective adult or youth Sunday School class.
  • Optional courses, such as those for strengthening marriage and family, temple preparation, missionary preparation, and family history, will not be held during Sunday class time. These courses may be taught at other times for individuals, families, or groups based on local needs and at the bishop’s discretion.
There's only one class now, the gospel doctrine class. It's made for a crowded SS in my ward.
News to me. Bummer.
Well - silver lining... now, only about an hour for me. :)
Maybe Starbucks - share with someone or else I’m a nervous squirrel.

User avatar
2bizE
Posts: 1136
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by 2bizE » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:16 pm

A good bishop would recognize the need for a semi-official Hall people discussion. Like call someone to hang in the hall and lead a discussion on something not really religious but spiritual...but they couldn’t announce the calling in church or everyone would go with the hall people instead of SS.
~2bizE

User avatar
nibbler
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:12 pm

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by nibbler » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:04 am

Image

Laman of the Hall People
Since I have become EQP of the Eagle Cliff Ward people I get so tired I do not even feel... like walking with a woman.
I am relieved to hear this.
As am I, I thought it was just me.
We see things not as they are, but as we are ourselves. - H.M. Tomlinson

User avatar
græy
Posts: 274
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:52 pm

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by græy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:14 am

JustHangingOn@57 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:05 pm
græy wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:31 am
Several people commented and shared stores about how we shouldn't judge others for their personal interpretation of the WoW. Eventually someone brought up the BYUx honor codes and the whole class devolved ragging on the BYUs for being too rigid and controlling. A few people had stories about being called to repentance (i.e. told to meet with bishop) for infractions like wearing sandals and not shaving while staying home sick.
Man, your SS sounds awesome! I'm jealous.
LOL, as it turns out the GD teacher got in trouble this past week for "not keeping discussions on track within the lesson." By in trouble, I mean someone brought him up in Ward Council and suggested it was time to release him.

I doubt our bishop will do anything yet, but man, just when I thought GD was finally getting good...
I'm better than dirt... well most dirt. Not that fancy store bought stuff, I can't compete with that... full of nutrients and everything. -Moe Sizlack

User avatar
Newme
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by Newme » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:16 pm
A good bishop would recognize the need for a semi-official Hall people discussion. Like call someone to hang in the hall and lead a discussion on something not really religious but spiritual...but they couldn’t announce the calling in church or everyone would go with the hall people instead of SS.
:lol: Truth is often funny!
As it is, I do not abide by the motto, “If u can’t best ‘em, join ‘em.”
Rather, I could never shake “every member a missionary” - even after my faith crisis.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d6/d3/24/d6d3 ... mormon.jpg

User avatar
moksha
Posts: 2169
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:37 pm

Newme wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:27 pm
Have you tried the small gospel principles class - and act like a difficult, inquisitive investigator?
I remember some years back when I returned to Church after a 30-year hiatus. I was in the Gospel Essentials class with a few newbies and a number of those who had been with the Church their entire lives. I like to ask questions to help me understand what is being taught. I asked several questions on LDS cosmology when the instructor started getting indignant. I thought we were going to have an unpleasant scene. The instructor was a lawyer, so I imagine he was enumerating his response when he suddenly relaxed and gave a kind and helpful explanation. It was beneficial for the class since even the cradle to grave Mormons admitted they never understood that before. Mormons are generally not encouraged to ask deep questions, and only the inexperienced and foolish like myself ask such questions.

BTW, I purchased the book Mormonism for Dummies when I made that return to Church. It would make a handy study guide for LDS Seminary students.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

User avatar
Kishkumen
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:39 pm

Re: The gospel for dummies

Post by Kishkumen » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:56 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:09 am
Pft... The hall people!

The Parking Lot people are where it's at!
If you think the church parking lot is cool, try joining me at a Bar.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest