Nihilism

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
User avatar
Red Ryder
Posts: 2075
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Re: Nihilism

Post by Red Ryder » Wed May 15, 2019 9:20 am

hmb wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:51 am
I wonder if there's a difference in thinking about this at age 30 and age 70? I walked from the church in my 50's, still hoping (but not believing) in an after life. At 30 I would have had fear about the end, but only in the unknown of a new experience. Now it's just so final. It shouldn't matter; dead is dead. But it does matter. I feel like the kid in "Saturday's Warrior" that did not know who or why he existed. I don't question who or why, I just don't like the end of this life to be so Porky Pig--badabada-bada--that's all folks!

Oh great, now I have Saturday's Warrior music in my head. Haha.
Why not just make up something or whatever you want to happen?

When I die, my spirit will leave my body to decompose here on earth and journey on to live eternally with 347 young virgin brides where I will spend all of my nights and weekends crocheting in the nude. Why knot? Don’t knit pick my doctrine!
Those who do not move do not notice their chains. —Rosa Luxemburg

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 2491
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:58 am
Location: Phoenix

Re: Nihilism

Post by Corsair » Wed May 15, 2019 9:29 am

hmb wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:51 am
I wonder if there's a difference in thinking about this at age 30 and age 70? I walked from the church in my 50's, still hoping (but not believing) in an after life. At 30 I would have had fear about the end, but only in the unknown of a new experience. Now it's just so final. It shouldn't matter; dead is dead. But it does matter. I feel like the kid in "Saturday's Warrior" that did not know who or why he existed. I don't question who or why, I just don't like the end of this life to be so Porky Pig--badabada-bada--that's all folks!
It took me a while to stop worrying about the next world. I don't know if there is an afterlife, but I am in favor of it.

I read a fiction book called "A Short Stay in Hell" that encapsulated the implications of immortality to an deliciously existential degree. The book is written by an active Mormon who actually conceives of an afterlife where his LDS main character discovers that the One True Church was not the Mormonism of his youth. It's not long and it's a fairly easy read with some amazing implications.

This book also led me into being comfortable with reconsidering immortality in favor of living with joy now in an uncertain, limited mortal life.

User avatar
hmb
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:43 am

Re: Nihilism

Post by hmb » Thu May 16, 2019 5:46 am

Corsair wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:29 am
hmb wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:51 am
I wonder if there's a difference in thinking about this at age 30 and age 70? I walked from the church in my 50's, still hoping (but not believing) in an after life. At 30 I would have had fear about the end, but only in the unknown of a new experience. Now it's just so final. It shouldn't matter; dead is dead. But it does matter. I feel like the kid in "Saturday's Warrior" that did not know who or why he existed. I don't question who or why, I just don't like the end of this life to be so Porky Pig--badabada-bada--that's all folks!
It took me a while to stop worrying about the next world. I don't know if there is an afterlife, but I am in favor of it.

I read a fiction book called "A Short Stay in Hell" that encapsulated the implications of immortality to an deliciously existential degree. The book is written by an active Mormon who actually conceives of an afterlife where his LDS main character discovers that the One True Church was not the Mormonism of his youth. It's not long and it's a fairly easy read with some amazing implications.

This book also led me into being comfortable with reconsidering immortality in favor of living with joy now in an uncertain, limited mortal life.
Thanks for this. I just bought it for my Kindle App. I look forward to finishing my present book so I can begin this one. I may send a copy to my son, who lives in club fed, courtesy of bad choice making.

User avatar
RubinHighlander
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:20 am
Location: Behind the Zion Curtain

Re: Nihilism

Post by RubinHighlander » Thu May 16, 2019 6:47 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:20 am
When I die, my spirit will leave my body to decompose here on earth and journey on to live eternally with 347 young virgin brides where I will spend all of my nights and weekends crocheting in the nude. Why knot? Don’t knit pick my doctrine!
Now I have this vision in my head of the resurrected Red Ryder in his self made knitted jammies:

Image

Maybe Haggoth and Corsair join him:
Image
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 2491
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:58 am
Location: Phoenix

Re: Nihilism

Post by Corsair » Thu May 16, 2019 9:49 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:47 am
Maybe Haggoth and Corsair join him:

<horrifying image redacted>
There's an obvious upside to these outfits. If you dress like a color blind hippie, no one will ask why you are not wearing garments. They clearly will have more important questions to answer when some hairy dude is sharing his interpretation of what all the colors look like after taking the brown acid.

User avatar
Newme
Posts: 661
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: Nihilism

Post by Newme » Fri May 17, 2019 6:20 am

slavereeno wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:53 pm
Mormonism has been completely deconstructed for me, there is nothing of literal truth left there. Now I feel like I am loosing my Christianity, and there is only a very thin thread on belief in deity or life beyond this mortal existence. For the first time, I am having to face the prospect of true mortality. I am finding it quite unsettling.
I can relate. I believe in many of Christ’s teachings but not in scapegoating and other dysfunctional dogmatic aspects. And I also have realized more the temporary nature of our existences.

Carl Jung said belief in an after-life is psychologically hygienic... comparing it to believing in the safe structure of your home not to colapse - as necessary to living well. I’ve had some experiences and known of others’ which strengthen faith in an afterlife, though it will probably be different from what most imagine.

dogbite
Posts: 277
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 1:28 pm
Location: SLC

Re: Nihilism

Post by dogbite » Fri May 17, 2019 11:52 am

Newme wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:20 am
I believe in many of Christ’s teachings but not in scapegoating and other dysfunctional dogmatic aspects.
Trivial aside. Scapegoat is a word that Tyndale coined in his 1530 English translation of the Bible. Not that its meaning was new, but now there was a single compound noun for it. But the Israeli idea of scapegoating is pagan, to a god Azazel-- note the divine el suffix. So much hidden in the Old Testament when translated into other languages.

User avatar
Newme
Posts: 661
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:43 pm

Re: Nihilism

Post by Newme » Sun May 19, 2019 12:00 pm

dogbite wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:52 am
Newme wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:20 am
I believe in many of Christ’s teachings but not in scapegoating and other dysfunctional dogmatic aspects.
Trivial aside. Scapegoat is a word that Tyndale coined in his 1530 English translation of the Bible. Not that its meaning was new, but now there was a single compound noun for it. But the Israeli idea of scapegoating is pagan, to a god Azazel-- note the divine el suffix. So much hidden in the Old Testament when translated into other languages.
Interesting.
Tyndale seems one of those unheard of but influential heroes. Learning how he coined that term makes me want to learn more about him... like did he believe in Christ as human sacrifice scapegoat or did he see Catholic influence in canon?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest