Vaporware Temples

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 3371
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Vaporware Temples

Post by Hagoth » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 am

Mormon 8 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:47 pm
Here's my question... each temple costs an average of about $150 million... 150 times 37 = $5.6 billion... why would this real estate corporation masquerading as a religion drop almost $6 billion for 37 temples so members of a trademark can go and practice Freemasonry? Could they be willing to cough up that much money just to keep the charade going, members believing and the government from ever taxing them?
The members give them more money than that every year, tax free, no questions asked. They have at least $32 B in the stock market, plus all of their for-profit businesses and real estate. The 1st Presidency could write a check for that amount today if it helped them look as wonderful in members' eyes as they believe themselves to be. Let the poor schmucks running the show in a decade or two deal with the empty temples problem.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mormon 8
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:24 pm

Re: Vaporware Temples

Post by Mormon 8 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:33 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:25 am
Especially with the temples in the Mormon heavy area, I wonder how much of the decision to put them in is less about meeting member needs, but more about either a cushy construction gig for a certain company with backhanded ties to LDSInc. or as 'gift' to certain members in the area who then get into real estate speculation.
Jacobsen Construction... their fingerprints are all over most church construction projects, including City Creek, which, IMHO, was a giant money-laundering operation.

User avatar
oliblish
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:09 pm

Re: Vaporware Temples

Post by oliblish » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:52 pm

I think who benefits the most is property owners and developers of land near the temple site.

I was shopping for a building lot in American Fork around the time the Timpanogos Temple was announced. Prices for lots seemed to double from ~30k to ~60k in a very short amount of time. The one constant in the church from the beginning is property speculation.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Mormon 8
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:24 pm

Re: Vaporware Temples

Post by Mormon 8 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:42 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 am
Mormon 8 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:47 pm
Here's my question... each temple costs an average of about $150 million... 150 times 37 = $5.6 billion... why would this real estate corporation masquerading as a religion drop almost $6 billion for 37 temples so members of a trademark can go and practice Freemasonry? Could they be willing to cough up that much money just to keep the charade going, members believing and the government from ever taxing them?
The members give them more money than that every year, tax free, no questions asked. They have at least $32 B in the stock market, plus all of their for-profit businesses and real estate. The 1st Presidency could write a check for that amount today if it helped them look as wonderful in members' eyes as they believe themselves to be. Let the poor schmucks running the show in a decade or two deal with the empty temples problem.
Yeah, given the $32 billion in the stock market bombshell last year, the $5 billion City Creek project, dozens of businesses and even political activity, I'm trying to figure out how in the world the 'church' remains a tax-exempt corporation in the federal government's eyes??? :shock: :lol:

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 3371
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Vaporware Temples

Post by Hagoth » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:16 pm

In this country all you have to do is stuck "church" in your name. It worked for Scientology.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mormon 8
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:24 pm

Re: Vaporware Temples

Post by Mormon 8 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:00 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:16 pm
In this country all you have to do is stuck "church" in your name. It worked for Scientology.
True.

User avatar
StarbucksMom
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:14 am

Re: Vaporware Temples

Post by StarbucksMom » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:50 pm

Can someone point me to where it was revealed that LDS inc has 32b in stock market? I knew about billions in assets being speculated, but not that it seems to be confirmed. I want to share with my husband. We have been watching the Bill Gates documentaries (3 pt) on Netflix and I want him to see what opportunities the church has to make a difference in the world but doesn’t. (The Bill Gates show is really good, highly recommend it. Super interesting & inspiring.)

Mormon 8
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:24 pm

Re: Vaporware Temples

Post by Mormon 8 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:21 pm

StarbucksMom wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:50 pm
Can someone point me to where it was revealed that LDS inc has 32b in stock market? I knew about billions in assets being speculated, but not that it seems to be confirmed. I want to share with my husband. We have been watching the Bill Gates documentaries (3 pt) on Netflix and I want him to see what opportunities the church has to make a difference in the world but doesn’t. (The Bill Gates show is really good, highly recommend it. Super interesting & inspiring.)
https://kutv.com/news/local/mormonleaks ... 32-billion

Channels 2, 4 and 13 all reported it during their news segments except for KSL. :lol:

The second to last paragraph... :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
no1saint
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:49 pm

Re: Vaporware Temples

Post by no1saint » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:31 am

Mormon 8 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:47 pm
Here's my question... each temple costs an average of about $150 million... 150 times 37 = $5.6 billion... why would this real estate corporation masquerading as a religion drop almost $6 billion for 37 temples so members of a trademark can go and practice Freemasonry? Could they be willing to cough up that much money just to keep the charade going, members believing and the government from ever taxing them?
That’s a gross over estimation on temple costs. A large temple would be around that price with a large support complex. The majority of small temples are far cheaper. The ugly cookie cutter temples built under GBH only cost on average $11,000,000 in the US. The Brisbane Australia version that was slightly larger, contains underground parking and a new Stake Centre was less than $30,000,000 in 2003.

I do have understand your point. I wonder how these pricey assets sit and operate on a general balance sheet, especially as they devalue and require short and long term maintenance.

Personally, I think they are effective revenue centres. It’s irrelevant if they are empty. What’s important is the revenue generated from card carrying members to feel special. Witnessing sealings and proxy baptisms might encourage more to pay their subscription. I think we are yet to see the full range of temple changes that are already planned and approved. Even my TBM mother thinks it’s a great idea to cut the endowment down further to streamline it. She doesn’t see the point of the movie or the repetition. lol

Either way, if rumours are correct there are going to hundreds of temples completed with the next decade. We are already seeing a much faster turn around from announcement, to groundbreaking through to completion. RMN has already said that smaller temples will be more frequent. Temples don’t need to be large and ostentatious - which is hilarious as Utah Saints would cry if they couldn’t do ordinance work if in their wet dream of how they think heaven looks. lol

User avatar
Raylan Givens
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:09 am

Re: Vaporware Temples

Post by Raylan Givens » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:13 pm

I know Orem pretty well, trying to decide where you put it? I guess somewhere in the suburb sprawl on the West side?

I bet they use plans for one of the other temples to save money, or just wait until building slows down. Building costs are through the roof and the airport/prison construction has made workers more scarce.

I like the idea of opening a cafe called, The Temple Cafeteria. Workers wear white clothes, everything has the classic Church etched display plackard, and carrot cake is always on the menu. I would pop in just for old times sake. Maybe have NOM meetings in there on Saturday morning (closed on the Lord's day of course).
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest