Church/BYU-Idaho stops taking student Medicaid, repeals decision after fallout

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Mormon 8

Church/BYU-Idaho stops taking student Medicaid, repeals decision after fallout

Post by Mormon 8 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:44 pm

You can't make this stuff up...

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... no-longer/

In a nutshell, the church (BYU-Idaho) decided to stop allowing students to enroll in classes if Medicaid was their only form of health insurance. This was in response to a state expansion in Medicaid services for Idahoans. The school issued an edict mandating that if students wanted to continue in their academic pursuits at BYU-Idaho, those without private health insurance either had to purchase insurance from the church's DMBA or drop out. It was going to cost the average student about $580 per semester. Hundreds of students decided to drop out as a result and within a matter of a few weeks, the decision was repealed by the school. Anyone who can't see that the 'church' is a real estate corporation and big business first has blinders on and needs to educate themselves about the so-called 'church' they belong to.

Just This Guy

Re: Church/BYU-Idaho stops taking student Medicaid, repeals decision after fallout

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:49 am

I am curious how many student actually dropped out. Then how many re-enrolled.

If enough did, I could see that being a finical hit to the school. BYU-I says that the per semester tuition is ~2,100, plus another $600 for books. So lets say $2,700. So 100 students dropping out even for a semester is a $270,000 hit to the school. While that does add up fast, how much of an effect is it to the bottom line?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Re: Church/BYU-Idaho stops taking student Medicaid, repeals decision after fallout

Post by Hagoth » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:19 am

Mormon 8 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:44 pm
Sure you can. You would call it Mormonism.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mormon 8

Post by Mormon 8 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:56 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:19 am
Mormon 8 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:44 pm
Sure you can. You would call it Mormonism.
:lol:

Kishkumen

Post by Kishkumen » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:45 am

A 'church' that owns a school that also owns an insurance company and requires students to purchase church insurance to attend church school and won't accept government-funded health insurance - while simultaneously the parents of these students have an inherent distrust of the government.

Ironic