What are you drinking right now?

Discussions about any topic not related to Mormonism or faith transition
User avatar
Dravin
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:04 am
Location: Indiana

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Dravin » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:05 pm

George Dickel Rye. My first actual rye, it's okay. I think I might be coming to the conclusion that I'm just a Scotch guy and not so much into American whiskey.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

BringEmYoung
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by BringEmYoung » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:14 pm

Moscow mules with cranberry Vodka (Smirnoff), Fever Tree ginger beer, and fresh lime juice. Amazing!

Thoughtful
Posts: 731
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:20 pm

Last night was spiced rum and tonic.

User avatar
Emower
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:35 pm

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Emower » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:39 pm

Image

This was a good beer. I dont really like much beer, but this one was really good.

BringEmYoung
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by BringEmYoung » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:49 pm

A Paloma, Squirt mixed with Tequila. Not bad.

Edit: tried another with cranberry vodka instead and it was better. That cranberry vodka works with everything I tell you.

User avatar
Dravin
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:04 am
Location: Indiana

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Dravin » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:17 am

Emower wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:39 pm
This was a good beer. I dont really like much beer, but this one was really good.
Firestone makes a good Helles. It's proof that a beer doesn't have to be heavily hopped to be delicious (not that I made such arguments but it is a common enough one among craft beer fans either explicitly or implicitly).
BringEmYoung wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:49 pm
A Paloma, Squirt mixed with Tequila. Not bad.
If you want to step up your Paloma I suggest grapefruit juice instead of Squirt. If you want to maintain the fizz some soda water can be added.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

User avatar
Dravin
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:04 am
Location: Indiana

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Dravin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:23 pm

Some Evan Williams Egg Nog. I'm kinda wishing I'd just spiked my own instead of buying a premix.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

User avatar
wtfluff
Posts: 1602
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Worshiping Gravity / Pulling Taffy

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by wtfluff » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:14 pm

Dravin wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:23 pm
Some Evan Williams Egg Nog. I'm kinda wishing I'd just spiked my own instead of buying a premix.
Is there actually such a thing as store-bought eggnog that is actually worth spiking?

I grew up drinking eggnog "spiked" with sprite during the holidays. I've had home-made eggnog that was awesome, but all the store-bought stuff I've tried has to be mormon-spiked with sprite for me to drink it, even if I spike it afterward with a non-mormon approved liquid. (Maybe I just don't like commercial eggnog.)

Also: What form of ethanol is best for mixing with eggnog?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

Keep the company of those who seek the truth - run from those who have found it -Václav Havel

Who taught you how to hate?

User avatar
Dravin
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:04 am
Location: Indiana

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Dravin » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:26 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:14 pm
Is there actually such a thing as store-bought eggnog that is actually worth spiking?
I've never had homemade eggnog, so I don't have a frame of reference verses store bought options. I enjoy the store bought stuff well enough, not enough that if it was year round it would always be in the fridge but around the holidays I get the craving and it sates it.
I grew up drinking eggnog "spiked" with sprite during the holidays. I've had home-made eggnog that was awesome, but all the store-bought stuff I've tried has to be mormon-spiked with sprite for me to drink it, even if I spike it afterward with a non-mormon approved liquid. (Maybe I just don't like commercial eggnog.)
I know a fair number of people who cut their store bough egg nog with milk to bring down the viscosity and sweetness. I think it depends if you want something to drink or something to sip.
Also: What form of ethanol is best for mixing with eggnog?
Brandy, Rum, or Whiskey are traditional options. Really it depends on what flavor you want the booze to bring. Based on my experience with the flavors involved I'd be inclined towards bourbon as the caramel, vanilla, and spice (often cinnamon or other warm baking spices) notes that are pretty common and bold in bourbon are a natural marriage. You could always go wild though and add some peated scotch into it (peated scotch and coke actually work better than you'd expect). And as always if you just want alcohol without flavor: Vodka.

Edit: Just tried spiking some store bought with Appleton 12... makes for some tasty nog. The molasses element adds something that is new to egg nog for me.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

Thoughtful
Posts: 731
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:47 pm

Dravin wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:26 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:14 pm
Is there actually such a thing as store-bought eggnog that is actually worth spiking?
I've never had homemade eggnog, so I don't have a frame of reference verses store bought options. I enjoy the store bought stuff well enough, not enough that if it was year round it would always be in the fridge but around the holidays I get the craving and it sates it.
I grew up drinking eggnog "spiked" with sprite during the holidays. I've had home-made eggnog that was awesome, but all the store-bought stuff I've tried has to be mormon-spiked with sprite for me to drink it, even if I spike it afterward with a non-mormon approved liquid. (Maybe I just don't like commercial eggnog.)
I know a fair number of people who cut their store bough egg nog with milk to bring down the viscosity and sweetness. I think it depends if you want something to drink or something to sip.
Also: What form of ethanol is best for mixing with eggnog?
Brandy, Rum, or Whiskey are traditional options. Really it depends on what flavor you want the booze to bring. Based on my experience with the flavors involved I'd be inclined towards bourbon as the caramel, vanilla, and spice (often cinnamon or other warm baking spices) notes that are pretty common and bold in bourbon are a natural marriage. You could always go wild though and add some peated scotch into it (peated scotch and coke actually work better than you'd expect). And as always if you just want alcohol without flavor: Vodka.

Edit: Just tried spiking some store bought with Appleton 12... makes for some tasty nog. The molasses element adds something that is new to egg nog for me.
Dude, I sent Spouseman out for bourbon to try in our nog and about burned my throat off! Might stick to spiced rum.

User avatar
Dravin
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:04 am
Location: Indiana

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Dravin » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:35 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:47 pm
Dude, I sent Spouseman out for bourbon to try in our nog and about burned my throat off! Might stick to spiced rum.
That surprises me actually, an ounce or two of bourbon spiked into a 8 oz glass of eggnog shouldn't be burning throats. At two ounces (assuming 80 proof) that only results in a 8% ABV drink and at a one ounce it's a 4.4% ABV drink which is beer range strengths. Just how much did you add that it burned your throat?

Edit: Or was it a case of the spice notes in the bourbon combining with the spices in the egg nog to create some sort of synergistic cinnamon monstrosity?
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

User avatar
Hermey
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:32 pm

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Hermey » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:53 pm

Hot apple cider with mulling spices and Havana Club spiced rum.

Thoughtful
Posts: 731
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Thoughtful » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:19 pm

Dravin wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:35 pm
Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:47 pm
Dude, I sent Spouseman out for bourbon to try in our nog and about burned my throat off! Might stick to spiced rum.
That surprises me actually, an ounce or two of bourbon spiked into a 8 oz glass of eggnog shouldn't be burning throats. At two ounces (assuming 80 proof) that only results in a 8% ABV drink and at a one ounce it's a 4.4% ABV drink which is beer range strengths. Just how much did you add that it burned your throat?

Edit: Or was it a case of the spice notes in the bourbon combining with the spices in the egg nog to create some sort of synergistic cinnamon monstrosity?
I tried abt 3 drops before adding to the nog. Tonsils burned for 20 minutes. :shock: In the nog it was ok...tasted like nog and booze.

But if you can drink 8oz of eggnog with or without booze that's a super rich drink on its own. :lol: I started with 1/3cup nog.

User avatar
Dravin
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:04 am
Location: Indiana

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Dravin » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:32 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:19 pm

I tried abt 3 drops before adding to the nog. Tonsils burned for 20 minutes. :shock: In the nog it was ok...tasted like nog and booze.
Sipping whiskey neat takes some getting used to.
But if you can drink 8oz of eggnog with or without booze that's a super rich drink on its own. :lol: I started with 1/3cup nog.
It was mostly chosen for ease of calculation rather than a suggested serving. As far as richness, it depends how long you nurse it. Drinking egg nog gets rich super quick, sipping it over a decent amount of time helps with that aspect. I think my egg nog + Appleton 12 combo I worked on for 45 minutes or so and was 5 oz or so of egg nog (still a hearty treat).
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

User avatar
Dravin
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:04 am
Location: Indiana

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Dravin » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:32 pm

Lagavulin 16. It's like having burnt ends on an old oily diesel fishing boat complete with a curmudgeonly old fisherman who smokes a pipe and wears an oilskin raincoat. I love it.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

User avatar
IT_Veteran
Posts: 522
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:36 pm
Location: California

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by IT_Veteran » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:22 am

Had some Blue Moon Winter Wheat last night that was quite good.

BringEmYoung
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:08 pm

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by BringEmYoung » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:03 pm

Thanks to an exmo friend of ours, we have 25 50ml bottles of liquor to try, one each day in the form of an Advent calendar. Best present ever for noobs learning about the various types of drinks out there. So, far I liked the Jagermeister, but hated the cherry brandy (it burned all the way down the throat like nothing I've experienced yet.)

User avatar
Just This Guy
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: Almost Heaven

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:20 am

On this morning's menu, pancakes, local farm maple sausage, & home made turtle lattes (chocolate, caramel, & hazelnut syrups). Caramel Italian steamer (steamed milk & caramel syrup) for the kids.

That's a good breakfast before spending a day out with the horses. We are going horseback caroling this afternoon.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

User avatar
IT_Veteran
Posts: 522
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:36 pm
Location: California

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by IT_Veteran » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:18 pm

https://imgur.com/a/fuOjFMj

This was last nights adventure!

User avatar
wtfluff
Posts: 1602
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Worshiping Gravity / Pulling Taffy

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Post by wtfluff » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:04 pm

IT_Veteran wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:18 pm
https://imgur.com/a/fuOjFMj

This was last nights adventure!
Looks like you need some real tasting glasses.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

Keep the company of those who seek the truth - run from those who have found it -Václav Havel

Who taught you how to hate?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests