COVID-19 and General Conference

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Corsair

COVID-19 and General Conference

Post by Corsair » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:01 am

This was just released from the News Room:
LDS Newsroom wrote: How COVID-19 Will Impact the April 2020 General Conference

Sessions will be done virtually; members will not gather at the Conference Center in Salt Lake City or at stake centers or meetinghouses in areas where COVID-19 is active.

jfro18

Re: COVID-19 and General Conference

Post by jfro18 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:17 am

They did say this GenCon would be a special one...

The church is true, heathens!

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:29 am

How many of our NOMies predicted this?

We are in the midst of real Prophets, Seers and Revelators here folks. :ugeek: Why on earth couldn't Rusty and the rest of the Q15 bigots foresee this? Their big bicentennial cellar-bration of "The First Vision(s)" has now become a giant nothing-burger. Which makes sense; That's what the first vision was to begin with. What are the odds that they dub in "cough track" to make the empty conference center seem more realistic?

And as has been mentioned in other threads: They need to cancel all meetings, and shutter the Polygamy Palaces™. That really would be a giant step towards containment in the MORmON Corridor. Maybe when they do this for a few months, folks will realize that such meetings and fake masonic rituals make absolutely no difference in their "daily lives" and realize it's all made up. (Fat Chance...)

Edit, again: Rusty did say last October conference that April 2020 would be a "conference like no other." For some strange reason, I don't think an empty conference center was what he had in mind.
Last edited by wtfluff on Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

græy

Post by græy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:39 am

Also: https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... day-saints

Despite my efforts to delegate, I am still on the hook to teach the first vision myth to our combined EQ/RS on March 29. I was REALLY hoping that COVID-19 might temporarily put a stop to local meetings and get me out of this mess, but this is all we've got so far...
After considering the counsel of governmental, ecclesiastical, and medical leaders around the world and our own prayerful reflection, we will postpone stake and leadership conferences and other large gatherings in Church Areas where illness caused by COVID-19 is a challenge, including,

- Asia
- Asia North
- Europe
- Europe East
- All Areas in the United States and Canada
First thought, that is pretty much the entire planet worth of members minus Central/South America right? Second thought, please, PLEASE cancel all ward meetings!!
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Apologeticsislying

Post by Apologeticsislying » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:50 am

græy wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:39 am
Also: https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... day-saints

Despite my efforts to delegate, I am still on the hook to teach the first vision myth to our combined EQ/RS on March 29. I was REALLY hoping that COVID-19 might temporarily put a stop to local meetings and get me out of this mess, but this is all we've got so far...
After considering the counsel of governmental, ecclesiastical, and medical leaders around the world and our own prayerful reflection, we will postpone stake and leadership conferences and other large gatherings in Church Areas where illness caused by COVID-19 is a challenge, including,

- Asia
- Asia North
- Europe
- Europe East
- All Areas in the United States and Canada
First thought, that is pretty much the entire planet worth of members minus Central/South America right? Second thought, please, PLEASE cancel all ward meetings!!
You are under NO obligation to be there. Remember, In USA we are NOT being tested.... we have no idea how widespread this is.
The same energy that emerges from the fountain of eternity into time, is the Holy Grail at the center of the universe of the inexhaustible vitality in each of our hearts. The Holy Grail, like the Kingdom of God, is within. -Joseph Campbell-

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:18 am

Here's the next big change:
COVID-19’s Impact on Missionary Training Centers

Beginning March 16, 2020, all missionaries scheduled to enter missionary training centers in Provo, Utah, or Preston, England, will be trained remotely by video conference.
I'm trying to imagine learning to be a full time missionary while working from home or wherever they end up. Details will follow, I'm sure. For the sake of the Priests quorum in my ward, I'm wondering if it will be "live all the mission rules while you live at home."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:33 am

The thought of all of the GA's playing to an utterly empty house is somehow very satisfying.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:45 am

Well this will make it a hell of a lot easier to re-record or even fix-on-the-fly if someone says something undesirable. Might be the way they do it from here on out. Good thing they spent those millions on all those empty seats.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:13 pm

The annoying thing is that this clearly isn’t what RMN had in mind last October when he said it would be like never before.

Yet now it’s a tender mercy and PROOF he is a prophet.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:21 pm

As you have noted, GA's speaking to a big empty room would be quite the image. However, the church has a lot of expertise in putting on a show (remember Heartsell?). There is no way that RMN will allow negative sights to be associated with the church. I don't know exactly what they will do, but it will look amazing. I predict that testimonies will be born on how they took COVID-19 and turned it into a spiritual experience.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:22 pm

Will this make the "Sustaining" part of conference kind of weird? Or will they finally breathe a sigh of relief that no one will loudly vote "No" when attempting to sustain prophets, seers, and revelators?

However, the announcement simply said that the public will not be invited. I expect that selected friends and family of general authorities will still be in attendance to raise their arm to the square. This is not an exclusive club that I would ever want to join.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:37 pm

Conference is technology only...I will be using some new hiking boot technology during GC and maybe even some new golf club technology...
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:51 pm

blazerb wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:21 pm
As you have noted, GA's speaking to a big empty room would be quite the image. However, the church has a lot of expertise in putting on a show (remember Heartsell?). There is no way that RMN will allow negative sights to be associated with the church. I don't know exactly what they will do, but it will look amazing. I predict that testimonies will be born on how they took COVID-19 and turned it into a spiritual experience.
I'm gonna guess that they do mention the "historic" empty conference center, and likely flash it on the screen once. Then they'll go on to blabber about how Elohim created broadcast technology and inter-webs so they could continue preaching to the millions of folks not really listening.

They'll likely cut to lots of HeartSell™-y still-photos (possibly of former conference congregations) and fake, happy families watching conference at home, and doing other COJCOLDS-y member-y stuff.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:17 pm

Church meetings and GC are being cancelled. Members are to study from home. Do you think this COVID-19 scare will result in fewer people returning to church after the scare is over? Maybe folks will have more time to study non-correlated sources.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:47 pm

2bizE wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:17 pm
Church meetings and GC are being canceled.
Good for the Church in having a health-conscious response to this contagion.

BTW, the Utah Jazz game was canceled tonight because a Jazz player tested positive for Covid-19.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:06 pm

I just got an email from the stake saying that this weekend's stake conference is cancelled due to Coronavirus. There are now 3 confirmed cases in Utah and it has been declared a "state of emergency." So, rather than sitting in a half-filled chapel watching conference on a projection screen we will sit in a crowded chapel and share bread that has been mangled by teenagers. God moves in mysterious ways.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:29 am

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:26 pm

Corsair wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:29 am
[ Preaching to the choir image ]
Why have I never wondered if the choir has any "monitors" or anything to watch the speeches? Or... Do they just get to stare at the backside of the old bigots for their entire conference experience?

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:22 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:26 pm
Corsair wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:29 am
[ Preaching to the choir image ]
Why have I never wondered if the choir has any "monitors" or anything to watch the speeches? Or... Do they just get to stare at the backside of the old bigots for their entire conference experience?
They have monitors on the floor.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Random

Post by Random » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:09 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:06 pm
There are now 3 confirmed cases in Utah and it has been declared a "state of emergency."
Three people confirmed and now we're all gonna die. :lol: :roll:

Two of them were probably that couple who tested positive on a cruise, but never got sick. They were still quarantined until the blood tests came out negative. (Well, she went home, amid threats because people are crazy, but he was still quarantined last I heard.)
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK