100th Birthday Party Broadcast for President Nelson

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Evil Monkey

100th Birthday Party Broadcast for President Nelson

Post by Evil Monkey »

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... memoration

My forever TBM Mother brought this to my attention today and how excited she was. Couldn't care less. Not to downplay what an achievement becoming a Centurion is. Its rarified air for sure. But I am 99.9% certain the broadcast will be about how the LDS Gospel work is the reason why he lived so long. I on the other hand being a realist attribute his long life to his wealth of medical knowledge that I am sure has given him the required wisdom to live longer than most. To that I congratulate him sincerely, but since his broadcast won't be about the real wisdom it takes to live that long I will hard pass.
nibbler

Re: 100th Birthday Party Broadcast for President Nelson

Post by nibbler »

Evil Monkey wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:37 am I on the other hand being a realist attribute his long life to his wealth [snip]
When I cut your sentence off where I did, I think it still holds true.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/search/research-news/8227/

Imagine what kind of impact it would have on your life if you never had to experience stress that resulted from financial insecurity. Even when you do have some financial security, there are many that choose not to go to the doctor because of the prohibitive costs (USA).

Apostles are mostly already independently wealthy before getting called but they're certainly not worried about finances after they receive their call. Imagine a 6+ figure income for every year after retiring, before you dip into savings no less. I also imagine that their health care is top notch. If you've got that at your disposal, there's no reason not to go in and get checked out every time you have the sniffles.

I'm sure he's made good choices too, but wealthy people enjoy a better quality of life. Once you get that far up in the hierarchy, you're wealthy or soon will be.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin
Palerider

Post by Palerider »

I don't have any inside info on the longevity of his parents but I think most life expectancy is related to genetics and healthy living decisions.

The thing that puzzles me most about the whole affair is the demigod status attributed to a man who for the most part is little wiser than your average Joe Blow; embellish's his life story to the point of embarrassment, holds a grudge like any other commoner and receives fawning adoration for mediocre advise and counsel.

How can people be SO blind?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington
Evil Monkey

Post by Evil Monkey »

Palerider wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 10:45 pm I don't have any inside info on the longevity of his parents but I think most life expectancy is related to genetics and healthy living decisions.

The thing that puzzles me most about the whole affair is the demigod status attributed to a man who for the most part is little wiser than your average Joe Blow; embellish's his life story to the point of embarrassment, holds a grudge like any other commoner and receives fawning adoration for mediocre advise and counsel.

How can people be SO blind?
This goes back to my other topic earlier this week. Most people worship a Church not a God. And the head of that Church will always receive Demigod like status. I bare the prophet no ill will. And I commend his accomplishment for making it to 100. But he is not my prophet. No man should be a prophet in my opinion. It turns them and people's opinions of them to something they never exactly were. People in the church need that Demigod to look to as an example I suppose because they want to believe a human being can be next to perfect. Its not factual and would never happen but humans are easily swayed when it comes to Church. The truth is we don't need anything between us and the Deity we believe in. It should always be a one on one relationship. Prophets, Popes or what have you is just a power grab at the top of an already powerful church that transcends God. God has absolutely no want or need for Human money or power.
Angel

Post by Angel »

By their fruits...

Blue zones - Okinawa (Japan), Ikaria (Greece), Loma Linda (USA), Sardinia (Italy), and Nicoya (Costa Rica).... what, no blue zone in Utah?... pity. Tell those tbm's who really lives longest.

Who has most cash? Who is happiest? Whose marriages work out the best?? Who has the most nobel peace prizes - who is smartest?.... Not Mormons?....

By their fruits...

"I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore.." So India has the most kids, Hinduism must be correct...
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Angel

Post by Angel »

By their fruits...

Blue zones - Okinawa (Japan), Ikaria (Greece), Loma Linda (USA), Sardinia (Italy), and Nicoya (Costa Rica).... what, no blue zone in Utah?... pity. Tell those tbm's who really lives longest.

Who has most cash? Who is happiest? Whose marriages work out the best?? Who has the most nobel peace prizes - who is smartest?.... Not Mormons?....

By their fruits...

"I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore.." So India has the most kids, Hinduism must be correct...
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait »

This birthday bash business has bugged me for some time. I tried not to let it, but it's impossible. People bring it up from time to time like it has some sort of importance. I smile and nod in a ways that shows I don't care.

But this "celebration". Who cares? Someone comes up with a calendar so people feel they need to live by it. Good grief.

Just returned from Africa where I witnessed first hand people starving. Desperate people. They have nothing and they will probably never see their 50th birthday let alone their 100th. You never see old people. They are dead long ago. I think the Lord cares about these people, but I wish they did not have to suffer so. It saddens my heart. It's one thing to see the photos, the news reels, but when you hand out food to someone who has not eaten for some time, who stands in their only set of clothes, and they are dirty; who cannot speak to you in your language, but their smile and nod of a head lets you know that they are grateful. That they are real. That they matter. That they would like a job and a better life- and hope.

The church is doing good there and I see it. I just wish that they would stop this meaningless birthday stuff and focus more on Christ's message of feeding the poor and looking out for those in need. Just a thought.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell
Angel

Post by Angel »

Africa, wow! Yes, travel is life changing, puts it in perspective.

It's challenging to celebrate someone who has lived a privileged lifestyle in tandem with others struggling with hardship and inequality.

Wish more missions were legitimate service missions.